“Awesome”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
Birmingham
“Awesome”
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Spent a week here for my anniversary - and have to admit, we had a wonderful tme. We stayed in the superior room at the Beach club, which was right on the beach.

The hotel itself...isn't really 5 star, but is still mainted to a high standard. Certainly, our rooms were'nt dazzling with 5stars but it was large, clean and had all the ammenaties we required for the trip. The bath tub was massive...which of course worked a treat.

The staff were all very good if not a little slow at times. When we had dinner at busy times, I have to admit, we had to wait some time to be served - but I could not fault the staff overall. They were courteous and a few in particular did go the extra mile.

The beaches were great, and I spent most of my time playing cricket, volleyball or just generally 'chilling' on the beach. The mamora bay beach is hot, but there more going on! The other beach (the name excapes me now) is much cooler and cleaner...but it depends what you're in the mood for.

The food was very good...and being all exclusive, I was glad to stay that all my preconceptions proir to the trip were quickly quashed. The variety was very good..as was the food quality. No upset stomach thank-fully. Towards the end however, I was getting a little bored of the same style of chicken!

Overall, a very pleasant stay and a wonderful holiday. We met some great people...and despite the threat of tropical storms and hurricanes, we had a wonderful time and would like to go back next year.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (996)
  • Greek first
Kent
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We stayed at the Beach Club at St James and had a superior room - three steps from the balcony and we were on Cocoas Beach with stunning views. The room was spacious with a fridge which was stocked twice in two weeks with soft drinks. We also had a coffee making machine. The bathroom was large and could probably have done with having two sinks.

Cocoas Beach is breezy all the time but we preferred this as the Mamora Beach (although very pretty) gets really hot. There were quite a lot of jelly fish at Cocoas beach especially on the days when the sea was rough and so you need to take care. There is quite a lot of seaweed although the beach is raked and cleaned daily.

In the main the staff are all really helpful and friendly especially Alfred who drives the drinks cart on the beach. We had a few minor problems on arrival with the air con not working properly and not enough beds(!) but these were dealt with promptly and efficiently.

As we were at the Beach Club most of our meals should have been in Cocoas. However due to low occupancy we were able to eat at Docksiders and Rainbow Garden whenever we wanted in the evening. We particularly liked Docksiders which is by the Mamora Beach. As we travelled with Virgin we were given vouchers for Picollo Mondo. The setting of this restaurant is very nice but I found the food disappointing and not really any better than the other restaurants - they had run out of lobster and a couple of other items on the menu - I would not have wanted to have paid the $35 per head supplement to dine there.

The food was generally of a good standard and there was always something for everyone in our party of 6. The hotel has its own salination plant on site which means that you can drink the tap water which is useful and saves constantly buying bottled water.

Overall the resort was very clean and the staff work very hard. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

We booked a couple of trips with Virgin and I would really recommend the Excellence boat trips. We had a day trip to Barbuda which although was expensive was quite an experience.

I am happy to answer any questions if you want to e-mail me.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Everden99
Saundersfoot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2009

We had a lovely birthday celebration for my Sean on August 8th starting at 7am at the airport with a champagne breakfast , continued on the plane then when we got to Antigua, we went back 5 hours because of the timezone . sean was met by the frineds he had met in previous years - a huge group of them !
Ther seems now to be a tradition of all teh teenagres and that gae group getting togtehr no matter who they are and hanging out togtehr as there quite honestly isn;t a great deal of entertainment so they make their own & love it !
We go tinto our villa at 4pm (check in time) and chnaged quickly to get in the sun .
That evening we had a fabulous dinner at the Italian Piccolo Mondo restaurant , we had e-mailed guets services in advance and organised teh dinner res and a cake . The staff had specially decorated the table, and gave Sean a bottle of champagne then all sang Happy Birthday when the chocolate cake arrived. wil attach some photos
He then went to the jacaranda Bar and met his other friends and continued celebrating with his mates - new & old , till 3 in the morning , so he had the longest 18th birthday ever !
The resort was just as we remembered it there had been some changes – all for the better, so we once again able to meet up with the friends we made 2 years ago at the nearest Bar to our villa, Mamorqa Bar we always met at 5pm and called it our Pinacolada club , we always had a few beers / cocktails then – well you’ve got to haven’t you especially when you’re all inclusive.
We spent most of the first week just relaxing on the windy beach, there are 2 beaches 1 the Atlantic side and one on the Caribbean , the Atlantic we call the windy beach as there’s a gorgeous cooling breeze off the sea and its just beautiful lying there under a palm tree next to the sea. There were no jelly fish there this year so I swam lots and Tony strode through the sea every day to exercise his knee ( he'd had a knee replacement ) which really helped.
We rented a car or a week so we could vist our usual favourite places and so went Snorkeling on Darkwood beach, the reef is very close to the shore so you don’t have to swim very far which suited us all . As always the fish were gorgeous. We then went for lunch at OJ’s and that’s a restaurant where the tables are in the sand and is decorated with driftwood .
We went swimming (well we were lifted in the sea and tried to bodysurf ) at Half Moon Bay and then the next day went to Long bay, which is a new place for us , we spent the day there and it was very peaceful ….to be honest all the beaches are like that.
We ate out at Trappas one evening with some other families – there were 17 of us and that was a good laugh and made a change from the resort.
We also tried to organize a Catamaran trip which got postponed cos of rough seas until the very last day. I wasn’t going to go as it was still choppy and got talking to Lance the Captain and person in charge of the boats there. He was from NZ & a good laugh, to cut story short , he took me and another lady to the Carlisle bay in the Powerboat and we met the catamaran there for lunch , snorkeled & swam until it poured with rain . Then drove home at 40 knots per hour ..thats how I like to do boats! Absolutely brilliant day out and totally recommneded to everyone , he wil takeyou anywher e you want to go and know the island so well.
So we had a lovely holiday with great Meals in the restaurants and spent most evenings in the Jacaranda Bar with various entertainment, dancing, karaoke etc and every night said we’d have an early night but it never seemed to happen but not major problem when you could ask porter to drive you home in a buggy.
No washing cooking cleaning, everything taken care of for 2 weeks – heaven!
The staff were brill as per usual and so many recognized us from previous years and we always had special attention wherever we went.
The 2 weeks seemed to fly by and suddenly time to go home again so lots of goodbyes and then spent 1 hour waiting to get into and through the security part of the terminal building(why can't they sort thi sout ?) then straight onto the Virgin plane which was like a fridge.
I have written load sof reviews about SJC ( thsi was our 7th visit) so haven't gone into minute detail but realise that you may have questions - please feel freet to e-mail me or post on the forum . I have treid to give a flavour of the resort in that it's not 5* more 4* but is a very welcoming, a lovely sociable atmosphere where you do make new friends , talk to others and don't feel awkward having a laugh and a good time - you are positively encouraged to do so . Wehave stayed at Galley Bay too which is gorgeous but didn't feel as comfortable there as at SJC .Hope this helps Regards Helen

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank HDH
NJ
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My husband and I arrived at St. James and was right away greeted from this lovely lady with rum punch in her hand. Which I may add was really good. My first impression with the staff was that they were very friendly. I was skeptical because of the review from other people. Our room has the ocean view which was very nice. The restaurant wasnt crowded at all. The food was good. I was hoping for some tropical fruits and coconut. The beach wasnt crowded at all which was very quiet and relaxing. My husband and I haved vacationed to other places but this was the place where we felt that we were on vacation. We spent the entire day on the beach which we dont usually do. We love the hotel, the staff, the food. The beach wasnt as nice as the other places we've been to but its ok.
I will definitely recommend the hotel. I dont think my husband and I will be back only because we like to try different places.

UK
Reviewed 26 August 2009

I should start of by saying that we aren't beach people! A week in Antigua was tacked onto the the end of our honeymoon in the states as a bit of R & R. And that is just what we got. We ate ourselvse stupid. Slept a lot. Drank a lot. And had a rather lovely time.

I like St James' Club. It is a really clean place, with spacious rooms and really good food. There are indeed 2 beaches, but remember they are Atlantic and not Caribbean so you aren't going to get that turquoise water of the west coast! Stating the obvious I know! What it does mean is there is always a fresh breeze coming in onto Coco beach which made it a nice place to be for us shade and cool dwellers!

The watersports are fine. But don't go expecting water-skiing or anything like that. I can recommend the Hobie Cat boats. A half an hour lesson and then you're off, sailing around the bay and all included in your all inclusive. There is a PADI centre on site, but we went during storm season, so the visibility was pretty poor and made it not worth it. It is a little pricey too.

The pools are lovely, although this being a family resort, it is very handy that there is an adults only pool so you can get away from dive bombing kids. Not moaning about them, only mentioned it to make the point that this is a family friendly resort.

The majority of the staff we met were very friendly, although some more so than others. We invented a new game called "dodge the duty manager's how are things going chats" of an evening while we were having our dinner! Thought it was quite charming on the first night, but how many times can you say "lovely, thank you, beautiful spot"?

Overall, not 5 star luxury, but as a result not pretentious in any way shape or form. A great place to sit and do nothing other than read a good book, have a quick dip, eat lots, drink lots and be merry.

Kannapolis, NC
Reviewed 24 August 2009

I have been going back to St James Club for many years now. It has truly become a trip that I look forward to. The resort is nestled in a remote, private part of the island and safety has never been a concern. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. I love the villas, they are just spectacular. The rooms are also nice, very spacious, and all are situated in great locations be it by the beach or by the bay. The activities are plentiful and a vacation to this resort has its allure for all ages. I will be back next year.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lic1313
Clonmel
Reviewed 22 August 2009

My husband and I spent our first half of our honeymoon at St. James. It was the most beautiful place and so so peaceful. We had an adult swimming pool which was amazing, no noise just the sound of a waterfall, we felt so relaxed and totally destressed at this location. The rooms were cleaned to an excellent standard eveyday. On our arrival, due to a delayed flight, all restaurants were closed but room service was organised for us which we really appreciated. We met a man Everton who was taking care of the young coconut trees and he gave us a taste of the coconut and milk and it was so refreshing and a great experience. The nicest most friendly and informative person we met on our holiday. This is an ideal honeymoon location and we hope to visit again to celebrate one of our anniversaries.

3 Thank joanneClonmel
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,249 reviews

Been to St. James's Club & Villas? Share your experiences!