“Lovely pub grub !”

Pedro's Restaurant, Bar & Hotel
Reviewed 15 June 2014

2 adults and 2 kids for a family meal. Live locally so weren't staying in the hotel.Had 3 starters between us. Garlic mushrooms were good. Pint of prawns was lovely but more like half a pint of lettuce with half a pint of king prawns on top. I was expecting a full pint to go at , but maybe for £5.95 I was expecting too much !
Children's main meals were of a good size and the chicken goujons were home made in lovely batter, not frozen bought in stuff.
The adult portions were large and everything appeared to be fresh and home cooked.
Not a lot of vegetarian dishes on the menu. The veggie lasagne sounded nice but was not available. The menu is quite extensive , lots of varieties of burgers.
Didn't try desserts as we were very full with what we had.
Will defo return and will definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank isaac13

Reviewed 12 June 2014

My pregnant wife, my boxer dog & I stayed here for 2 nights (wish was longer) in May after initially staying at a B&B elsewhere...which did not go well at all & couldn't get out of there quick enough. We got in touch with Phil and Sam here at The Sun as it was either here, or home. Lucikly they had a room available and so we chucked our money down a drain with the dump and 'jumped ship' over to The Sun.

When arriving Sam greeted us and couldn't have been more friendly & honest about their rooms after I asked some awkward honest questions after the experience we had just had. She was more than happy to show us the rooms to let us see what we thought. They were very nice, clean and comfortable. We could barely hear any noise from downstairs and it even being on a road didn't disturb us, and we live in a very quiet area. A good nights sleep which was what was most important.

Phil & Sam gave us plenty of warning of live music, this wasn't an issue for us, we really enjoy live music and I was very impressed with who they had booked, it was a very enjoyable night.

The breakfast was great, more than expected with the very nice selection of jams, marmalades for your toasts and a decent choice of cereals too. The cooked breakfast was cracking and put me on all day until the evening meal. Talking of evening meal, due to being restricted a bit having the dog, we thought we would just eat here on the first night for ease, glad we did, the food was amazing and of a very high standard. We ate all our meals there in the end! Also the ale was great!

All the staff were great and very friendly, they all made a huge fuss of our boxer dog (which he loved every minute of) and he was made to feel more at home more than us I think! There were no restrictions on him like having to shove him in the car for breakfast! The whole time we were there, we felt really looked after and nothing was too much for the entire team.

All in all, the stay we had was exactly what we were after in getting away for a few nights after a very busy period in our life and without doubt will be back....hopefully sooner rather than later!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EyupImMark
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We've just returned home from a great trip to the Lake District and while there we stayed at The Sun Hotel. The location is fantastic and we were able to get to all that we wanted to see easily and in a decent amount of time. Every member of the staff that we spoke with was very friendly and super helpful! When we checked in we were told that there was going to be live music in the evening (luckily we had fair warning before we arrived) and the music usually ended around 2330 but the hotel had requested that it ended at 2300 since there were a couple families staying that night. We were grateful for that and to be honest we hardly heard the music in our room; if we hadn't known about it we would have assumed it was a car outside down the road with the radio blaring. We started in one of the family rooms since we were traveling with a three year old and a one month old. Our family room was quite spacious and comfortable which made life a bit easier with the littles. The breakfast in the morning was quite delicious as was our dinner in the restaurant (I'll review the dinner on the restaurant page).

There were a couple minor annoyances with the room, one being a fairly large one and the other being a minor thing. The large annoyance was more of a safety issue and that was the fact that three of the window had no locks on them and could be opened fairly easily. Normally that would have been an issue for me BUT since we have a very rambunctious three year old and we were on the second floor it was quite a big safety concern for us. The minor annoyance was the cleanness of the bathroom shower and some parts of the room. The shower was quite mildewy and could have used a very good deep cleaning. There were cobwebs on the windows that had locks and there was a fair amount of dust on the bathroom shelves. That said the bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean, as were the tea cups and glasses, and the lower, more utilized surfaces were clean. Overall I'd stay again as it was a nice hotel with a comfortable, homey atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Had a superb gourmet burger here on Friday and will be back for more.
Staff are cheerful and welcoming.
Good beers to be had and when weather permits a very pleasant garden area.
Well worth a visit and very handy location between Ambleside and Windermere
if your travelling in the lakes via A591

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We went out to celebrate a birthday tea today and the birthday boy chose The Sun hotel. On walking in it was nice to see the side doors opened to let the breeze in as the temperature was climbing a fair bit this afternoon. We were initially served by James who was polite and friendly with a ready smile. We ordered our food and all got round a lovely big table with plenty of room for us without elbowing each other ! I ordered Ol Smokey burger, my husband ordered Gammon, my daughter ordered the Lamb burger and my parents ordered The Chicken special and Fish and Chips. It was clear to see when the meals arrived that they were all freshly cooked using the best ingredients. The portions were very generous and when I asked for bbq sauce ( charged as extra but fine with this) , it came in a cereal sized bowl so we could all share. My only slight criticism is that I was not asked how I would like my burger cooked. The chef cooked it to medium which I was happy with but if you prefer your beef more well done this could potentially be an issue. That being said the meat was tasty, succulent and obviously of high quality. We all swapped around tasting each others dishes and my daughters Lamb burger was probably the best I have tasted. The atmosphere was very relaxed and we were served efficiently without feeling rushed or forgotten. We all managed to leave room for desert and we had a specific request from one of our party that was not included in the mainstream menu. Our waitress kindly spoke to the chef for us who not only agreed to our request but doubled the portion to make it the same size as a regular desert, great customer service! I ordered Banoffee cheesecake which was beautiful, the portion was beyond generous and it was very rich but the clever Chef drizzles a generous helping of raspberry coulis over the dessert which cuts through the richness. Two of our party ordered the homemade Chocolate Mouse which was garnished with a swirl of Chantilly cream and a chocolate dipped strawberry. The others in our party had sticky toffee and plum crumble. All of the food was superb and the customer service excellent.... and for the quality and quantity of the food very good value. We were a party of five, we each had two courses plus drinks and the total was just over three figures. I will definitely be back and would definitely recommend. If I could offer some constructive feedback for improvement the only thing I could fault was the sauces ie Ketchup, brown etc are in cafe style brand-less sachets which I don't feel go with the standard of the decor or food on offer, but if that's the only thing someone as picky as me can find fault with then happy days !!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pinkzand
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Although Hotel by name it is more of a inn. It is more of a traditional pub with rooms. The rooms I have to say are very, very nice. I stayed inthe King Size Room. The staff were very helpful, and friendly. The food I have to say was great. Not your average pub food at all. Steak and Ale Pie was great. The breakfast was nice hearty quality.

I am due to visit again. Later this year.

Room Tip: Rooms are generally very nice.