“Good and Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Santa Elena
South Lake Tahoe, California
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

First the good review: great grounds, pool, rooms, restaurant, and Guatemala gift shop. Exactly what I wanted after roughing it for two weeks. But everything is pricy.
The bad review: located 2.5 mi on a HORRIBLE dirt road (in March). If you have your own transportation--great. But if you don't, prepare to get screwed and ripped off by the only putt-putt taxi in St. Elena who wants $30 (that's US dollars) for a 2.5 mi trip--normal price should be about $3 to $4. The hotel staff confirmed the $30 price which makes me think they get a big kickback. That experience left a bad taste for me. Instead of being extorted, I stood by the roadside and got picked up by locals each way, for free. Last thing to add is expect to be woken up EARLY if you stay here as the landscape staff start work before 6:00 AM.
What I would do next time--stay at one of the good-enough and cheaper pensions or B&Bs (like Don David) in St. Elena on the Tikal highway and not venture down the awful dirt road.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LISA D
Ximena R, Gerente at Camino Real Tikal, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is very important to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to improve every day. Thank you for your additional comment, already was shared with manager it will help us to give to our guest an option to visit another places.

We hope to see you soon again in Camino Real Tikal.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Hotel Camino Real is an excellent hotel, 45 minutes away from Tikal and probably 1 hour or so from Flores. It is settled in the natural protected reserve Cerro Cahui with many wild birds, animals and beatiful flora. Is really a paradisiacal place to spend time. They offer free walking tours to Cerro Cahui and also a boat ride during weekend to see the sunset. The latter wasnt really one of the best experiences. One of the "attractives" of the boat trip was to feed the birds with bread which on my professional experience, isn't the best thing to do with wild animals, and definitely not very coherent with being within a protected natural area. This practice can encourage tourists to feed animals in other protected areas as well and go against the rules of other natural reserves as Tikal and Yaxhá for ex.
About the rooms, they are big and clean. The ones of the upper floor have a great lake view and are very quite. The instalations have many comodities like mayan sauna, a pier to swim in the lake, a nice pool, good restaurant and excelent service. What we definetly didnt like about the hotel is that staff is not very helpful on giving information about visits you can do around, and they push you to take the tours offered by the agency based in the hotel which are way more expensive than other options. If you start exploring other options you can find very good and quality services. We took a private taxi and a professinal guide to Tikal and Yaxhá and was near 200 USD cheaper than the private tour that offered the agency. In the hotel they wont give you information about other tour services. Also getting out from the hotel to have dinner in Flores for example is quite expensive, 70 usd for a taxi. I suggest they should have shuttle services at certain times of the day to Flores. They could still have a cost but probably would be much less if they offered organised shared transport (as they do for the airport pick up). Any way, we are a couple on our 30s -40s on our Honey Moon and we are experienced travellers that have visit most of Europe and South America and definitely is a very good value for money. I would reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
Ximena R, Gerente at Camino Real Tikal, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is very important to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to improve every day. Thank you for your additional comment about our property and its activities, your comment already was sent to responsible departments and also this kind of feedback will help us to improve our service; for Camino Real Tikal service and excellence in the priority.

Apologize for the inconvenient during your stay, we hope to see you soon again in Camino Real Tikal.

Charlottetown, PEI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed at this property for three nights as part of a Gate1 tour of Guatemala and Honduras. The grounds, the pool, the hot tub and even the beach area at sunset were lovely but the rooms appeared a bit tired. The longer we stayed the more we appreciated the complex. Food was good as was the drink service.. Buffet style meals if there were a lot of guests and a la carte otherwise. The staff was exceptional. Anxious to please and very pleasant. Any needs were immediately addressed. The pool was very welcome after touring the various sites during the day. Our tour operator stopped at a small "variety store" before turning off toward the property so we could purchase water, snacks, wine and delicious $1 ice cream cones!

Room Tip: Room are in separate buildings i.e. room in the 100's are in the first building, rooms in the 60...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyCanadian13
Ximena R, Gerente at Camino Real Tikal, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest!!

Thank you for a great comment it always motivating to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to keep our high service standard.

I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board as it always motivating to receive such appreciation form our guests.

boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I cannot believe this hotel is not higher rated on Trip Advisor. Some of the reviews did scare me, but I always liked the pics of this hotel and the name, I always associate it if I was to see Tikal so it was a must to try it, and it was AMAZING!!!

I took the warnings, and SIMPLY called the hotel directly, and based on advice got a Club Royal Room which was really nice, the bathroom was beautiful, I would recommend and I am sure worth the extra. I got the package for 2 nights with buffet breakfast, free boat rides (on fri-sun which is when I went), jungle walk (didn't do had to sleep), access to sauna, Jacuzzi, pool, games.

All was simply magical. We were picked up in a nice vehicle, based on the warnings I was prepared for the bumpy road for 3 miles, but I knew it was coming and it WASN'T BAD. They could pave it thou, but it kind of adds to getting away from it all.

The lobby is GORGEOUS integrated with nature, that welcome drink comes right away, they check me in early and check out is 1pm! Fantastic! We had a delish buffet breakfast. t

My mom was so nervous about the jungle and the 100 steps at the hotel to get to their lake and the steps to the room, WELL, the hotel solves it with a vehicle and brings us right to the room zooming thru the jungle first! We get our club royal room (I told them my mom had walking problems and they gave me the very first room and closest available!)

We then use the jacuzzi and sauna, both are AMAZING! The pool I think is a great size, SO SO perfect temp for the jungle and refreshing and clean! The jacuzzi was a good temperature, I asked the girl at front desk to turn it up and they did! Wasn't hot it was quite warm anything hotter would be unbearable there.

Then we have lunch. The menu is quite fine for a 2 night stay, anymore I think it would get boring. The prices were NOT that bad! Sandwiches 9, salads 5-10, pasta 12, dinners 12-22, BIG DEAL! If you cannot afford that you couldn't afford the hotel!

Booked the tour to Tikal, sure it was 115 each for two for a private tour but it included everything and I would rather pay a little more and know it is a safe person sorry!

Back to their AWESOME transportation that whisks us to their really nice boat on the most stunning lake I have ever seen! All to see the sun set on a lake with nothing on it but nature, spectacular!

Back for a great dinner with that AMAZING AMAZING view of the lake and the jungle, right after passing 2 gorgeous iguanas!! Then off to their fun bar for some drinks, really cute place with dance floor and pool table!!

Tikal the next day which was spectacular, but WHAT BETTER THING than their jacuzzi and pool after a long trek and hikes in the ruins?!?!?! AMAZING!! Then back to gorgeous view restaurant for dinner, another nice meal oh and back to the bar!!

Then the last day, they did STUMBLE with just offering me a continental breakfast that I did not like, (didn't like lunch as much either so I think the food gets a little tired after a while for sure) 2 nights is dealable as you are definitely STUCK their without a rental car, but I needed a getaway and this was it!

It is also true the lake views from the rooms at least on 1st and second floors are mostly of trees which was very pretty but of course lake would be way better, maybe the top floors are better, mom did not want the stairs.

BUT they NAIL it again with late check out, and getting whisked down to their lake for another awesome boat ride, but this time feeding the turtles, fish and birds in magically gorgeous green aqua water! Then the opposite direction for a view of El Remate the town closest! Such fun!!

But before the boat I asked one of the WONDERFUL staff to prepare their mayan sauna, and it was ALL Ready for JUST me when I got back! AMAZING!

Then off to their lake front (ONE MORE fault, TRUE it is not a beach their is no sand!) But it is still GORGEOUS! They have an AWESOME thatched roof right on the water sitting area with the funnest swaying bench, amazing view! The lake is so warm and absolutely freaking stunning to swim in!!!

Then lunch which again was just OK, and then FREE shuttle back to the airport!!

I HAVE to give the place 5*. A few faults if you are being meticulous that is for sure, but overall EXACTLY what I wanted and more, a little bit of luxury in the jungle with great access to Tikal and to provide a magical getaway, and it DELIVERED!!!

GRACIAS Camino Real Tikal & Staff, you guys are AWESOME and what a gorgeous place you have to work in!! Thank you for an amazing time!!

Room Tip: Call Directly, I recommend The Club Royal Rooms, if you want a better view ask for the top floor. B...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Ximena R, Gerente at Camino Real Tikal, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time filling this survey in, it is a very important source of information to know our guests experience through their feedback. Thank you so much for your additional comment, it will help us to keep and improve the high service in each of your visits, we already sent this comment to the responsible departments.

We hope to see you soon in Camino Real Tikal.

Very truly yours,
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We spent two nights at the Camino Real Tikal in February, and we were very pleased with our choice. We found the hotel to be family friendly, which was important to us. They won our kids over immediately when they brought us fruit punch in champagne glasses when we checked in. The kids enjoyed the pool and the ping pong table. We also liked swinging in the hammocks down by the lake-- and listening to howler monkeys roar in the trees around us. We had two meals at the restaurant, which were both good. Unfortunately we missed the boat trip and the turtle feeding. I think those would have been fun. The room was nice and clean, though not fancy. For a facility that is in the middle of a jungle, I do not think you could ask for much more in terms of amenities. For the price of the hotel, it would be nice if the wireless access was included. Overall though, this was a great jumping off point to tour Tikal, especially since we had young kids with us.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ximena R, Gerente at Camino Real Tikal, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear guest,

We hope to see you soon in Camino Real Tikal.

Very truly yours,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Located next to the lake, the rooms are in small two storied blocks with all rooms having a lake view. The room are fine. The restaurant is in two parts, one open with a thatched roof, the other air-conditioned, inside and a bit bleak. We found the food was good and particularly recommend the lake fish grilled with garlic. Good breakfast, one day a buffet, the other waiter service.
The pool area looked very nice, but it rained while we were there and didn't use it.
Only negatives. They charge $10/day for internet and $1 per small bottle of water, the only hotel on our tour to do so.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fupi14
Ximena R, Gerente at Camino Real Tikal, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Guest!!

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

as we were traveling with a group, the remoteness of the hotel was not a problem. on the contrary, it is a pleasant, peaceful and relaxing place to stay. by the lake, with nice views.

the rooms are a bit small, but reasonable clean and comfortable. they either have a balcony with a view to the lake or, for the ground floor, access to a lawn/garden.

the restaurant is either indoor or outdoor (were the view can be enjoyed). service is extremely attentive. food was good.

bad points: there is no gym. internet is not free and does not work in the rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CPC1PCP1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our service and our location, it always motivation to receive such appreciation from our guest. This will help us to keep our high service standard.

We hope to see you soon again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Elena
#1 of 4 in El Remate
Hotel Isla de Flores
Hotel Isla de Flores
#2 of 17 in Flores

Been to Camino Real Tikal? Share your experiences!