“Quiet hideout” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portulano Dive Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bauan
Portulano Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bauan
Miami, Florida
“Quiet hideout”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I calm isolated place, only accessed by boat. The food was incredible, native style and good. The diving is also spectacular. In low season, come here with friends. Reasonable priced considering that all food is included. Diving is a bit more pricey than in puerto galera, but its also much better! Would like to come back to this place. I also like the environmental perspective they have on things!

Room Tip: Nice rooms with a view..
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank reisebug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Fantastic place for divers. Great rooms with sea views: very good diving 2 minutes boat ride away; decent equipment; excellent food;laid back vibe. Isolated (you can only reach the resort by a few minutes boat ride, despite it being on the mainland), but for a few days diving and relaxing – excellent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnny_5_bellys
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I came to the Philippines in 1989 and started diving around the same time. An avid scuba weekend warrior I soon discovered all the pretty dive spots in the country. Based in Manila I found my usual hunting grounds in Subic, Anilao and Puerto Galera. I have done trips to the south and covered areas ranging from Bohol, Cebu, Boracay, down to Palawan, Sulu Sea and even Mindanao.

Then, in early 2000s I met Carmela and Arnel who organized a liveaboard to Tubbataha. Up to today it was the best dive trip with the most memorable dives I have made. Fun and friendship included. Sheer bliss!

A couple of years later Carmela and Arnel invited me to their newly built dive resort in Anilao. Aptly named Portulano, it easily became my go-to dive resort anywhere in the country. It is perfect for diving, relaxation and having fun with friends and family.

The now world famous acronym ESD was inked in Portulano. Eat, Sleep & Dive. Eat Sleep & Dive. Ok, I might be reaching, but yes, Portulano is the right place for just that. Eat, Sleep & Dive. ;-)

I love the tranquility of the resort, rustic, yet comfy, inviting and fun. The food is great, the buffet offering something delicious for everybody. The people of Portulano are friendly, attentive and caring. Carmela and Arnel together with the resort's manager Daisy are doing a fantastic job in running this not-so-best-kept-secret dive resort.

The diving is exceptional. Perfect for macro and underwater photography. But also big fish, pelagic and similar can be seen here. The house reef stretches along the coast, offering playground for multiple dives without duplicating the previous one. Many more dive spots are within a few minutes boat ride. Or go for a day's trip with the big Portulano Basnig (large bangka) to some remote areas. Two or three dives, packed lunch and then, hang out on beautiful beaches for a siesta and a relaxing surface interval.

Lastly, if you are planning to get into scuba diving, intend to get certified or even just do an intro-dive, Carmela and Arnel will take great care of you. They are both fantastic dive instructors.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank W0lf2000
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

The house reef is amazing, whether diving, snorkeling or just swimming. We saw sea turtles, lionfish, baraccudas, frogfish, etc! They have wonderful food, accomodations, service, and staff. They have lounges, a game room, hammocks everywhere. It is a perfect vacation spot and a place to have a family reunion. It is very family friendly. I absolutely did not want to leave. I love it!

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank NickieManjon
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

After searching online for the best place to go snorkelling, I chanced upon reviews of Portulano resort. It is mainly a dive resort but they claim to have an excellent house reef so I booked a weekend with the hubby for our monthly beach trip, do not regret it one bit.

Reservation:

Did ours via email, Arnel (the owner) was quick to reply and answers all your queries. A 50% reservation was required which can be paid via Paypal, BPI or BDO. Got a confirmation of reservation from Arnel on the day I paid the fee.

Getting There:

The map they have on their website is precise with number of kilometers per landmark/s. Just use the odometer of your car. Commute instructions are also available. The drive would have taken us less than 2 hours had there been no traffic. Arnel also gave the instruction to send an SMS when you exit the tollway which we did so that they can send a boat at the dock where you can park your car. Our boat arrived just as we entered the parking area. Parking fee by the way is PHP100 overnight, you pay before you leave. The boat ride takes about 5 minutes.

Check In:

As they already know you'll be there, the room was ready. We just had to fill out a registration form and deposit slip (downpayment) and we were handed our keys.

Room:

The room we booked was a hillview seaside room. It is a fan room that has a double bed, veranda and a sufficient bathroom with a hot and cold shower. The first room they gave us (Hillside 2), the bathroom door locked on it's own and no one could get it open with keys or blunt force so they had to transfer us to the other room (Hillside 1). Some bad points, as they were cleaning the other room before we transferred, we noticed that they did not get new sheets for us to use. They made the bed and gave us new towels, I know because I was watching while they cleaned. This was proven further when that night as we first lay down, we could feel sand/tiny pebbles and were bitten by bed bugs. The bed could have been comfortable enough had there been no insects to bite us and wake us up, suffice it to say, we did not sleep well at all.

Food:

One of the good parts of this resort. The per person rate comes with full board meals: 3 buffet style meals. You get lunch when you check in, dinner and breakfast the next day. You can opt to have lunch there upon checkout but the price of PHP450 per person is not good value in my opinion, I can have a buffet meal in Manila for the same rate with a lot more options to choose from. The food is good though, they do not give the usual swimming in oil array of nasty food but always serve decent meals like pork kebabs, stuffed grilled fish, portuguese chicken and the like. May I just commend how well they cook their rice! There is soup, salad and desert for lunch and dinner.They served made to order pancakes and omelletes for breakfast. I only wish they brought out desert earlier as when we had our first lunch there, I didn't know they served mango tapioca which I love. At around 1:30PM my hubby went down to get coffee and saw that but there was almost none left, bummer! Desert is always good. Coffee is free flowing all day. Breakfast should be served earlier than 8AM, We woke up at 5AM (due to bed bugs), went to the dining area by 6AM and found it was not cleared at all. Dirty dishes on the table, no coffee available, we made the first pot just so we can have some.

House Reef:

Very good, lacks color (maybe because of the season?) but there were a lot of fishes, I even had an encounter with a sea snake, scared me half to death.

Internet:

Wifi is available wherever the pocket wifi is (usually the lounge), when it works it's fast.

Facilities:

Salt water pool, it was always dirty with dead bugs and leaves. I would not have minded the leaves but bugs are just icky, It is not tiled so the sides of the pool actually have snails living on them.

Billiards, board games and a tv and dvd combo in the upper deck area. We played billiards while watching some Friends episodes here. There is also a bathroom in this area. Outside are 3 cabanas with 2 hammocks each and big pillows for lounging. We loved this part of the place.

On the second floor, near the dining area is a sort of living room where there are books and magazines and a lot of lounge chairs we can chill on. The only issue I had in this area had nothing to do with a resort but a woman who had the nerve to ask us to turn down a very soft sound coming from my husband's phone, we were atleast 2 meters away from them and the sound system and rain (there was a storm) were both loud enough. We kind of felt that since we are not divers like them, she discriminated us. Anyway, it would have been a perfectly relaxing spot.

Check Out:

Before I had lunch, I went to the front desk, paid the remaining balance and told Daisy that we would leave right after we eat. Paying was quick and easy.

Over All:

This resort is perfect if you really want to get away from it all and if you are a diver, isolated and peaceful. We kept feeling like outsiders though as those checked in were mostly divers and hubby and I were just there to relax - period. I would maybe go back if I'm already a certified open diver.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Janadoodles
diveaddiction, Owner at Portulano Dive Resort, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
In response to this review:

1) BEDSHEETS ARE ALWAYS NEW AND CHANGED and also regularly replaced for long staying guests. It would be quite unfair to say it wasn't changed because it was not seen since the beddings are usually set up earlier during the day, before guest arrival. Additional cleaning and checking is done prior to room turnover so this is what was seen. The keys need to be addressed though, so that for sure will be fixed.

2) I DOUBT THERE WERE BED BUGS since beds are regularly sun dried and cleaned, there could have been insects that could have fallen on the bed since those rooms are quite close to the trees, it was a stormy, rainy weekend so yes, lots of insects flying around and probably some landing on the bed is possible. A little "pag pag" or dusting could have worked. You could have also had SAND IN YOUR CLOTHES or feet. Normally bed bugs bite, so bites are the proof of bedbugs, not sandy feeling beds.

3)"ICKY" BUGS AND SNAILS IN THE POOL are not at all bothersome, it's part of the natural environment, like I said, it was a rainy weekend, so pardon some insects that could have fallen from the trees into the pool, it's just that the area is so close to a very healthy natural environment which houses a lot of insects, including fireflies that could end up in your room at night.

Strange, I always thought falling leaves and flowers on the pool or the ground look pretty.

The pool is not dirty, the color is just different from chlorinated fresh water pools. It's saltwater so doesn't look as clear. It is also intentionally not tiled so that it has a more rustic, natural feel to it. And it is easier to manage being a scuba training pool.

I'm now seriously considering a notice that says: WARNING! POOL IS NOT TILED! : )

4) BUFFET MEALS AT THE RESORT should not be compared to Manila, first off Manila buffet prices should be obviously cheaper because it is not near the beach. Common sense dictates that supplies and workforce are more expensive if you have to transport everything by boat. Secondly we focus on QUALITY not QUANTITY, it is not a buffet for gorging but rather for enjoying a good quality selection of non-greasy, healthy and flavorful dishes. That is our definition of a good buffet.

5) OUR GUESTS, specially our regulars are wonderful people I must say, they are not discriminating at all, they treat our place as their second home. In fact we have a lot of regulars who are not divers but just enjoy the peace and quiet and snorkeling.

Now that is an interesting idea, I did not think there exists a diver - non-diver discrimination. I can only imagine that if one is asked to turn down the volume, then it was probably too loud.
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

I'm a regular guest at this resort so my review is more about the new additions to the property. First off, rooms 9-12 are the new rooms above the newly added games/entertainment room. I stayed in Room 12 which is located at the end of the hallway.

The room:
This room doesn't have air conditioning, however its location is perfect for catching breezes from the ocean or from the cliffside so you don't really need airconditioning, plus the ceiling fan is strong enough for a nice breeze when you need it. The bed is 3-4" thick foam on top of a concrete bed, which sounds uncomfortable but it's actually nice and firm without feeling like you're sleeping on concrete. The room itself is spacious (for me anyway) with a lovely view of the ocean, at night you can see the fishing boats with their lights on catching squid and you can also see the stars (which is a non existent thing in the city). The bathroom has a window that looks out into the room that lets light in, the window is covered by a nice, thick, white canvas so your roommate won't see you in the buff, not even in silhouette form :). The room has a table to put all your stuff on, it also has a small rattan sofa that's good for sitting but I'd rather sit out on the balcony where it's windier and the chairs just cradle you for the ultimate in relaxation. At night there are flying bugs (of course, since you're in the forest) so leave the bathroom light on if you don't want the bugs being attracted to your tab/phone light. No mosquitoes so that's good.

General info about the resort:
Food is good as always, shakes are really great during the hot parts of the day, staff are awesome as always, no hot water (but you don't really need it since it's so hot outside, and it doesn't really matter if you've come from a dive either), all areas are clean, well maintained and the owners are wonderful.

As always, this resort is an excellent, laid back escape from the craziness of Manila. If I could live here and dive all day, I would.

Room Tip: The rooms 9-12 above the games room are the newer rooms, however if you go to bed early and you don...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DeepSeaAddict
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

This was booked as a weekend escape from Manila. I went with two friends. It took about two hours to drive to the boat and then another 30 min. to reach the resort. An easy and hassle-free trip. We stopped in Tagaytay for lunch before catching the boat and to break up our drive. The hotel is isolated and on a cliffside.Tthere are all sorts of little places to chill out and feel like you have the place to yourself. The food is good and there is plenty of food served each meal. They were flexible with meal times and you could eat breakfast until 10ish....lunch 11-2ish and dinner 5-7ish. You could always talk to them and make arrangments for different meal times. You could arrange dives, snorkeling and hikes. There's a pool, but it's for dive training (not swimming and relaxing by). The beach is better to look at and not to lounge on. There's wifi available but it isn't hi-speed (nor is it always working). The rooms are simple and cute. I really enjoyed my stay here. It was simple, no frills relaxing. You are left to pretty much entertain yourself. I'd go here again "to just get away from it all" and relax.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jen31373
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bauan
Coral Beach Club
Pico Sands Hotel
Pico Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Nasugbu
White Castle Resort & Hotel

Been to Portulano Dive Resort? Share your experiences!