“GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY!”
Review of The Buck Hotel

The Buck Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thornton-Le-Dale
The Buck Hotel
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My wife and I visited Thornton le Dale for the first time in over 40 years. Didn't know where to eat, however the Buck was recommended to us by several local residents so we decided to give it a try. I am so pleased we did! The staff were very friendly and welcoming. An excellent choice of different snacks, light/main meals and desserts on the menu all at very reasonable prices. Also a good choice of hand-pulled beers!! Service was quick even though it was busy. Portion sizes were good as was the quality. Well worth a visit - we will not hesitate in returning.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Buck Hotel

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Visiting a friends crystal shop over the road from The Buck Hotel we were pleasantly surprised to catch them just as they were popping to The Buck for Sunday lunch. We joined them and were so pleased we did. Having not visited the pub for quite a while we were amazed at the transformation it has recently undergone. The cosy feel is still there but a much more classy look fills the place and it's definitely more comfortable.
I had the pork with apple sauce and I have to say the pork was some of the most beautiful I've tasted. So tender and complimented by a fab (and good sized) Yorkshire pud.
My husband had the steak and ale pie and although he would've liked the selection of veg that I received (he just got peas) he said the pie was delicious and the steak in it was very well cooked. I have to say I would've liked peas lol
Our children enjoyed the homemade burger in a bun and pasta bolognese. Both good sized meals and very tasty indeed.
I wouldn't hesitate to visit again and hope to do so very soon.
I've been told that the rooms available for overnight stays are exceptionally comfortable and fully intend to try those too.
With friendly service and good food at reasonable prices you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Three out of four diners were disappointed with my father saying that throwing the lot in the bin would have complimented it.

My wife & I had Fish & Chips. The fish (cod) was tasteless mush; either cooked straight from frozen or it had been re-frozen at some point. Some of my wife's oven-chips were cold. Mine were OK though. My father's hunter's chicken was dry.

Dessert - they burnt my out-of-the-packet treacle sponge. My wife's molten-centre chocolate sponge didn't have the molten centre and was also dry.

Awful. My dad is local and he's one local they've lost for a good while!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank FuzzyDonnyDuck
Reviewed 29 August 2013

we called at the buck inn for an evening meal whilst camping at nearby peckton moor farm,we have dined all over the uk and have never had service like we experienced at the buck,the staff were very attentive which makes a refreshing change from some of the miserable faces that we have encountered in the past,the staff age must be late teens early twenties and they are a credit they always smile and look as though they really enjoy their jobs nothing is too much trouble,we will be calling again no probs thanks for the experience,

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank easytiger51
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Called in for lunch whilst staying in Thornton-le-Dale, impressed by the friendly welcome by the young staff and extremely helpful whilst I logged onto their free wifi. we both had a ham & cheese toastie which was made with full mature cheddar cheese and 'proper' ham. Really tasty washed down with a couple of glasses of house white. Returned the following evening for a meal, gain same friendly service, food superb and even though very busy not long to wait. Will definitely make sure we return when we are next in the area. Excellent value as mentioned in other reviews

Room Tip: we didn't saty but were told by the staff that the letting rooms had all recently been refurbish...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

On a short break to the Moors we ate in three different pubs. The meal at the Buck was both the best in quality and the cheapest - an unusual combination. Very friendly and efficient young team of waiters. Very tasty main courses and then two home-made desserts which were as good as we've had anywhere (Sticky Toffee Pudding and Lemon Meringue Pie). The (relatively) new owners are doing a great job and with this value for money are sure to get repeat business.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BandMZ
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay here but used the restaurant which really was good. Chicken, leek and bacon pie was superb. There were huge chunks of chicken and bacon, a truely hearty meal. The service was cosy and friendly from all that we met.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Huwrhys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton-Le-Dale
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
#3 of 12 in Thornton-Le-Dale
The Grange Guest House
The Grange Guest House
#4 of 12 in Thornton-Le-Dale

Been to The Buck Hotel? Share your experiences!