“Beautiful oasis in small town of Sengiggi”

Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Senggigi
Perth, Australia
“Beautiful oasis in small town of Sengiggi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

Arriving at night the hotel's entrance looked inviting and impressive and we were given a very warm but professional welcome. All the staff at this hotel are exceptionally friendly - not one walks by you without saying "hello" or asking how you day is - they have had excellent training here and it also appeared genuine. First impression of our room, which was beach facing on the ground floor with a lovely little terrace to the garden - for which we had paid a premium, was that it was in need of a renovation - in particular the bathroom. It was clean, comfy and tidy but felt very used and old and the tiling in the shower area was in need of attention. - I have since learned that renovations are due to take place, and this can only be expected in a hotel of this age. The bed which I think was referred to as a 'sweet-sleeper' was incredibly comfortable and we really did have sweet sleeps! The grounds were beautfully maintained with lush lawns and fragranced flowers - all very appealing to the senses. The pool is beautiful and feels very private with its turns, bridges and little hideaways. Some of the furniture around the pool felt very old and in need of replacement, again though, I have heard that they are replacing those pieces bit by bit. There was certainly enough pool furniture for all guests to enjoy and it was well positioned around the pool and facing the beach. The hotel is set in a beautiful bay and it is wonderful to snorkle straight off the beach (for 4 of our 5 day visit the water was very clean - then one day be it due to the tide or whatever it had lots of rubbish in it which was a massive put off).
The spa deserves a special mention. The ladies are just beautiful and the spa being positioned right on the beach which can be seen from the main spa room and the sounds of their tranquil music and the lapping of the ocean doubled with the beautiful fragrances of their oils and creams, makes for a special experience and was well worth paying $30 for instead of $6 down the road in the local massage parlour with their comparatively amateur attempts at massage. The cold lemongrass tea before and the ginger tea after were also very nice. It was a beautiful environment in wihch to enjoy some indulgence.
I cannot agree with previous review that have said the breakfast buffet menu was lacking in choice. I found it very plentiful and of excellent quality with enough choice to suit all cultures. Couln't fault it.
The menu in the a-la-carte restaurant was a little lacking - we would have like to have dined there more but didn't as the menu was restricted. Dining there over looking the pool being seranaded by the local 'soulful' group from their island in the middle of the pool made for a memorable night - priced exceptionally well compared to Aussie prices but well above the restaurants in the local town. The quality of the food and the service was fantastic.
I saw many of the other hotels - the Sheraton definately was the best choice for that part of Sengiggi and, I thought, it looked better than the Holiday Resort 15 mins up the road. There was a new hotel complex further north which looked sensational but I heard it was all villa living and exceptionally expensive.
I agree that the menu in the general bar area was very limited and rather boring - nothing to really tempt you.
Overall it was a lovely stay and I would recommend this hotel first to friends and family travelling to Lombok.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the ground floor rooms with their lovely terrace and day bed - makes a lovely...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sairo
sheratonsenggigi, General Manager at Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear guests,

Many thanks for your nice review following your stay with us that we could qualified successful.

Your description of our resort looks quite conform with the current situation and you did point some areas where we definitively need to focus.

Many of our rooms are in need of some refurbishment and we expect to receive the visit of a designer sometime soon before starting a mock up room. Obviously, that will take some time and we will keep our valuable guests posted on any progress.

In regards to the food, a new Executive Chef will be hired soon and will bring without doubt some major improvement in our food quality and selection.

Once again, we are grateful to you to have spent such time to share your experience and thank you very much for recommending us.

Hopefully you will plan another visit to our lovely island in a near future and we will be delighted to welcome you back and offer you another lovely stay.

Dominique Duvivier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I was there with my husband to celebrate my birthday. We stayed there for 4 nights. We have quite a number of good experience from the Starwood hotels and this brand is always one of our first choice.
As a five star resort, staff are nice and friendly even they don't speak English well, their smiles just made you feel happy and welcoming.
SPG program is good. I got a leaflet showing how to use my points in the resort. It's quite organized in terms of members loyalty.
The maintenance of this resort needs to be improved. The building is pretty old. We chose a sea facing terrace room on the ground floor and I thought I need to pamper myself a little bit for my birthday by choosing a better grade room. The room looks clean but it is very old. Bathroom looked very old as well and we smelled "mold". After the first night, the smell became so strong and we requested to change our room. Since all the sea facing terrace room are fully booked and we were "downgraded" to another room upstairs. Of course, we didn't get a lower rate for that :( Overall, the guests room should be refurbished.
Above average facilities - swimming pool is nice. Gym with good equipments.
Food is average. We didn't have too many choices in the breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Rooms at building 4 are good as these are away from the restaurants and bars but not to far.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank icb_hk
sheratonsenggigi, General Manager at Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear guests,

I would like to thank you for visiting our resort and for celebrating your birthday with us.

We are pleased that you have appreciated that our staff took good care of you.

In regards to the room matters, we would like to apologize if you encountered some problems with your room, unfortunately, I believe that on your stay, we were fully booked and limited option to offer you for a better room category.

I have read your 2 other reviews and you obviously have a high standard and expectation of hotels and food etc..

Hopefully you will return to Lombok in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back and please upon check in, do mention the problem you incurred on your last visit and we will do our utmost to upgrade you.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

We had a lovely stay here. The room is clean, comfy and we had a beautiful little balcony overlooking the ocean. The grounds were well-kept, the trees and flowers were pretty, free wifi in the lobby and complimentary iced tea. We enjoyed their creative cocktails but found the food in all outlets (restaurant, room service and lounge) to be mediocre.
The staff was friendly and went out of their way to help us when we forgot one of our bags on the boat we arrived in.
We rented a scooter for a few days and scooted around the island (wouldn't rent scooters in Bali because the traffic was insane) and had the best time. It was also very affordable. We also did a snorkel trip Gili Nanggu. Gili Nanggu was nice but we hear the othe Gili island are better.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
sheratonsenggigi, General Manager at Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Dear guests,

We are pleased that you had a lovely stay at our resort and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We have a quite strong gardener team and they do a great job to maintain all our landscape. Wifi is now free in all the property, not yet at the speed expected but we work on it!!

You did not find our food at your taste and I am sorry for that however, we are in process to recruit a new Executive Chef and fortunately, we will receive soon some better feedback on our food product.

We do hope that you will visit us again and enjoy another nice stay at Sheraton Senggigi.

General manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

Having stayed in numerous hotels in the Senggigi area, the Sheraton has to one of the best hotels in the region. Fabulous staff, comfort, facilities and service. From arrival to departure the staff here could not do enough to make our stay relaxing and enjoyable. On check in they welcomed us by name and had everything ready just to sign and go to our room. Not sure of the deluxe & superior rooms but our Grand Suite was spotlessly clean with anything you want wasjust a quick call to guest services. Truthfully speaking, rooms are a bit dated & a refurbish (wing by wing) would be a beneficial & wise move for this establishment.

The food is fantastic with one of the best breakfast buffets we've had which includes a huge selection of east or west cusine. The food was always fresh whether at the buffet breakfast or buffet pool side dinner. Room service is good and kids portions were very generous. The main pool is fantastic with a kids slide, corner jacuzzi & a nice little toddlers pool which kept our youngest happy & smiling. Handing out fruit skewers in the afternoon to all guests was a nice little gesture.

It was nice to see the GM walking around the pool & talking to his guests (without invading their privacy) From previous experiences, you rarely see the GM so it was nice to be able to talk freely to him & give our positive (or negative!?!) feedback.

To summerize, this was a wonderful stay for my family & i. The local staff always had a smile on their faces & were always willing to assist. Credit due to the GM for helping create a warm & friendly team. If this hotel is renovated in the close coming future (wing by wing) it will be in a league of its own in the Senggigi area.

Finally, the icing on the cake is the Sheraton lounge at the new Lombok airport. This really is a 1st class lounge & helps finish off your vacation in comfort & style.

Room Tip: If your traveling with 3 kids or more, then the Grand Suite 3127/8 on the corner adjacent to the bea...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
sheratonsenggigi, General Manager at Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear guests,

We would like to say thank you for your kind review after staying with us and we are glad that you have apparently all enjoyed your experience with us.

I wish I would have more time to talk directly to many guests during their stay like obviously I did with you, this is a great opportunity to acknowledge their experience and definitively assist us in improving our service.

I am very pleased that you found our staff friendly and warm and I do not deserve this credit, I must admit that they are naturally smiling and dedicated to serve at best our valued customers.

We had yesterday the visit of our owning company representatives and after inspecting some rooms, they have now a better understanding of most of our guests concern about some rooms condition and hopefully, they will start considering some refurbishment soon!

As you mentioned, we have recently opened a nice lounge at the airport just near the domestic departure entrance and we hope that our guests will appreciate it.

We do hope that you will visit our lovely island soon again and experience another nice stay at our resort.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is my third visit to the Sheraton Hotel at Lombok! I have been here for a few days so thought I would update my review and will do another one at end of visit!
To return to a place where not only the staff remember you, they greet you on your arrival with such genuine warm and affection! This is what makes this place special! Always good to see the same staff in place shows good management!
Since last year the breakfast which was already excellent has been improved again it is truly wonderful!
It is a five star experience but maybe not five star in the slightly dated bedrooms and fitness room/gym.

For me to return again shows it is a relaxing place to stay, a little gem! Lombok still retains its charm and quietness unlike Bali.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Dear guest,

We are delighted that you do enjoy your experience with us and thank you for your great feedback.

We do hope that your full stay will be pleasant and we agree that some rooms and the fitness equipment would need some upgrade..

Once again, many thanks for your comment and hopefully , you will keep visiting your little gem.

General manager
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

There are quite a few negative reviews of this hotel, which seem to be from people who (quite rightly) have high expectations of the Sheraton brand.

First the positives - the location is great, the beach in front of the resort was very clean, free of hawkers and pleasant to walk on. The pool design is dated, but it is huge and fun to swim in. There were plenty of stylish comfortable loungers, but I can imagine at peak times there might be a shortage. Breakfast was great, up to 5 star standard. The pool restaurant served good reasonably priced food, but the menu is a bit limited and we got bored quite quickly. The spa is on the beachfront - don't expect anything too luxurious such as plunge pools etc as it is quite modest - but the treatments are top notch and value for money. Without fail, all the staff were genuinely polite, friendly, charming, and went out their way to help you, and that is this hotel's greatest asset IMO.

I would rate this 5 stars if it were not for the rooms. Despite being promised a quiet room, I was given one at the end of block 5 and could hear the motorbikes revving up the hill continually. I was quickly offered a quieter room (deluxe terrace) in block 4 which was much better (blocks 5 and 6 seem to be the noisiest). The room was a bit dark and oppressive and smelt damp - this quickly disappeared once the doors were left open for a few minutes. The furniture was dated, worn and chipped. The bathrooms were the worst - cracked tiles, heavily stained grout and sealant, damp patches on the walls and towels that were beyond their best. The bed was very comfortable though, and housekeeping did a great job. Oddly, their was no guest services brochure in the room, so we were not quite sure what the hotel had to offer. They did produce a daily sheet of activities which was really useful however. If the Sheraton can't persuade the owner to refurbish the rooms in the near future, then they should consider pulling out and hand management to another company, as I feel the state of the rooms are damaging to their brand. The suites were much nicer, with marble floors and bathrooms, but you can get a pool villa at Quinci Villas for less if you book well in advance.

Lombok is a great island - we went snorkelling in the Gilis (would not recommend on-site Scuba Froggy though - we were promised a guide but did not get one - we were just left on our own in the water, they were disorganised with the equipment, gave us a lot of legal paperwork to complete and then didn't ask for it and we did not feel safe diving with them. Can recommend Blue Marlin or DSM who seemed much more professional). Also take a trip to see the waterfalls at Senaru - the hotel can arrange this and you will pay a bit more than locally, but you are paying for convenience, security and reliability. Pura Batu Bolong temple is about a half hour walk south - great at sunset - there's a Bluebird rank about 5 mins north on the other side of the road for getting back. To eat, try Quali at Quinci Villas - right on the beach and very romantic, cocktails are amazing. Warung Kangen at Senggigi Plaza for local Indonesian food, Cafe Lombi to try coffees from around the country and Warung Menega on the beach (10 mins in a cab) for seafood barbecued over coconut shells.
Overall I'd happily go back to the Sheraton but only when the rooms have been updated.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank scotty426
sheratonsenggigi, General Manager at Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review following your experience with us and we do appreciate your feedback and your hotel description so detailed.

We are pleased that amongst positive comment, you praised our full team and I agree that they are still the most valuable asset on our property.

However, regarding the room condition, it is definitively on our top priority and I was visiting our owning office in Jakarta a few days ago to discuss also this issue and hopefully we might see soon some progress.

We are now in process to recruit a new Executive Chef who has a good professional background and he will bring for sure some major food improvement. Besides that, we are trying to hire a director of culinary for 2 months to assist our Executive Chef, I believe that with these two senior chefs, our food product will become much more attractive!

We have forwarded your comment to Scuba Froggy and we have no doubt that they will proceed to some correction.

Once again, thank you for your valuable review and we do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

The beach in front of the hotel is beautiful and the grounds are lovingly tended but this hotel, overall, feels like something out of a Brady Bunch vacation. In the pool there is a gigantic head covered with vines (hair) - it has "eyes" lit with red lights at night and a huge mouth that is also a slide into the pool. There are "volcanoes" around the pool also. It's obviously an American chain hotel that has seen better days. The restaurant serves very American food - edible hamburgers, fries, etc. However the cabanas by the beach are very nice. Our room had a great view of the ocean. Huge place - long walk to your room. The best part of the hotel is the breakfast buffet which is fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask for a view room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elena S
sheratonsenggigi, General Manager at Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear guests,

Many thanks for your review and according to your rate, your experience was not entirely at the level that you would have expected to receive.

Hopefully, you will visit Lombok again sometime soon and we will be delighted to welcome you back at Sheraton Senggigi.

Dominique Duvivier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Senggigi
Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
Novotel Lombok
Novotel Lombok
#2 of 11 in Kuta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,760 reviews

Been to Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!