“Fathers day treat! Excellent for ANY treat!”
Review of Red Lion Inn - CLOSED

Red Lion Inn
Price range: US$17 - US$53
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Food & service just tips the balance from being good to excellent. Sea food platter to share for starter and Sunday roast beef for main. Food was just 'better' than the norm. Service was very swift & friendly. Waiters happily described the menu in loving detail which perfectly matched what came on your plate. Aspall cider on draft was an added bonus!

Reviewed 2 June 2012

We haven't been back to this pub for a long time tending to go to the "sister" venue in Rutland but thought we would visit the Red Lion for a change. From our home town of Grantham, it is a really nice drive through the Vale of Belvoir and pretty Leicestershire villages with a quicker more direct route home via the A52.

We ate earlyish but even by 7:00 pm the place was fairly busy with local drinkers and some diners. There is a small bar area and two dining bits - we were in what may be described as the "less" formal area and shabby-chic seems like a pretty good term to use - or maybe just slightly eccentric with ancient wooden spoons, colanders and rusty looking graters attached the walls!!

The menu isn't vast but then I have always believed that if there is too much choice there is likely to be a lot of "imported" stuff. As mentioned in other reviews, they do pride themselves on sourcing local produce and ingredients and do in fact have their own vegetable patch. I can thoroughly recommend the slow roasted pork belly which was melt in the mouth and being slow roasted didn't have the usual crisp belly pork skin but could well convert people who don't like fat on their meat as it wasn't greasy and just so tasty. It comes with a slice of black pudding (which I love!), cider fondant potatoes, savoy cabbage and seasonal purple stem broccoli and baby carrots with a rich gravy/sauce. Terrific! I won't bore everybody with our choice of desserts (there is a good choice of unusual sweets) as I didn't actually get to take any photos of the food so loads of descriptions of lovely nosh can be a bit annoying! I had briefly mentioned when booking that it was our wedding anniversary but was really stunned when a nice young man came in at the end of the meal to present us with a decorated plate of petit fours - it was Jubilee Weekend so we even got a nice patriotic union jack serviette!

The service is efficient and friendly and we will certainly be using the place more often than in the past. Although some reviews have said that the place is expensive I would mention that for such wonderful food in such nice surroundings our bill for the two main courses, two desserts, and four drinks came to £56 - and I consider that good value.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

The Red Lion is part of the same pub group as the Michelin-starred Olive Branch in Clipsham and, in our experience, is every bit as good. We visited for lunch, and were very impressed. The pub looks like any village local from the outside. To be honest, it could do with a lick of paint. Inside, the pub is rustic and unpretentious, but also smart and welcoming. Log fires were burning in 2 rooms of the deceptively large building. The emphasis is firmly on dining, but a good range of real ales from both local and national breweries is available in the bar area, so you could just pop in for a drink.

At lunch there is a choice of a la carte or the set menu, which is £13-95 for 2 courses or £17-95 for 3. We chose one of each. Everything we ate was superb. Highlights included a tender honey-roast duck leg on beetroot mash, a delicious spring vegetable risotto with parmesan crisp, and a white chocolate panna cotta with strawberry sorbet and summer fruits which scored 12/10, according to my partner. Prices are fair and reasonable for the outstanding quality of the food. Service was friendly, competent and efficient during our weekday lunchtime visit.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank bradgate2
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We took a ride out to Belvoir castle and after a visit to the castle we took lunch at the Red Lion at Stathern the sister pub to the Olive Branch. The menu was great with lots of local ingredients from villages within the area. The kids menu offered great value and fun foods such as speciality ice creams etc...

There was a very nice play park behind the pubs garden hedge which was fabulous for kids. We also discovered a local walk from the carpark turn right and head up and across the small green area and continue up the narrow lane headoing up the hill (side of the valley). There was a great view and woods.

Highly recommended for a great pub lunch dinner or snack.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Myself, mother in law and my husband have just got back after a fantastic lunch .
It was my mother in laws birthday today and wanted a quaint country pub for lunch but with " fine dinning standards" .
From the minute we entered the pub we were given a very warm welcome and sat down by an extremely warm and cosy fire . We had our drinks while perusing the menu and " Guinness marinated pickled quails egg's" jumped out at me on the nibbles board so we had some of those whilst drinking our drinks . These were amazing and like nothing I had tasted before ( so much to the fact that I shall be trying to rustle up some myself !!!!).
I opted for the lunch for less menu starter and a main for £12.50 and a desert for £3, so did my mother in law .
What an amazing deal !!!! I started with the duck rillette and sourdough toast IT WAS BEAUTIFUL , then I had the braised beef WELL I DIDN'T REALLY NEED THE KNIFE AND FORK AS IT JUST FELL TO BITS AND MELTED IN THE MOUTH !!!!!! For desert I had the rhubarb creme brûlée with a home made ginger snap and the most sublime rhubarb sorbet I have ever tasted . Both my mother in law and my husband were very very pleased with their food they had as well. They even made an effort for my mother in law's birthday by wishing her a happy birthday written on her dessert plate .
Its such a shame that I live in Plymouth and was only visiting for the weekend otherwise I would frequent The Red Lion Inn every weekend !!!!!!!!!!
I am extremeley fussy when eating out and had to mention to one of the members of staff on leaving that the last time I had food of that kaliber was at Gordon Ramseys at Claridges last year for a friends birthday Sunday lunch . We couldn't not believe that a round of drinks and three , three course meals came to less than £75 !!!!!!
COMPLIMENTS TO THE CHEF !!!!!