“Experience Jamaica in a rustic, friendly setting.”
Review of Casa Maria Hotel

Casa Maria Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Port Maria B&B and Inns
“Experience Jamaica in a rustic, friendly setting.”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I attended a conference for a week at Casa Maria. It was apparent that the staff truly cared about making our stay as pleasurable as possible. The constant ocean breeze made for comfortable days & nights. The food was well prepared & authentically Jamacian. The tours gave us an opportunity to see the real Jamaica (not just the tourist traps). The only negative was the inconsistent internet access which they did their best to fix. I'd highly recommend Casa Maria to anyone who wants to experience Jamaican hospitality in a rustic setting.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Nadson1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed here in August 2013 and it truly was an awful experience. I came for a wedding and also stayed in the hotel for one night. Honestly, the rooms are outdated, fixtures and fittings are extremely shabby, my light didn't work, I had no towels... the list really does go on. The room was also dirty and the shower was extremely poor. Breakfast the next day was hard, cold and took about 40 mins to arrive. Honestly, I could write an essay about my disaster of a stay here but I don't want to waste any more time on it, I already wasted a whole NIGHT of my life here that unfortunately I cannot get back!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andre B
OwnerWAState, Owner at Casa Maria Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
We are sorry your experience was so bad. I am pleased to report that we have recently renovated the entire hotel with new furniture as well as linens. Food and service has been improved

Travellers are raving about these Port Maria hotels

Grove City, Ohio
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I have stayed at Casa Maria three nights each time, for the last three years. The hotel is old and the rooms are stark but the staff is friendly and my rooms have always been clean. The pool is nice and well maintained and the views are relaxing and peaceful. I would not stay here if I wanted a lot of sight seeing or action, but no better spot to just relax. Only one other hotel in the area and it has a saline pool that is not very deep and is often luke warm and not refreshing. There are also mission teams using their pool at times and it can be a bit crowded. Casa has little business most often and thus the staff does try to make your stay comfortable. Food ranges from okay to good and is mid-priced. Drinks are a bit steep. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: AC is not available in all rooms but the floor fan was adequate for spring time. Some room ac are o...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We stayed at casa maria january 18 to 25, 2013. the views from almost any where on the grounds, balcony, dining patio, swimming pool were amazing. The ocean is across the street but in full view. I loved it. The hotel is old but the rooms are super clean and well kept especially the bathrooms. It was very quiet and relaxing. easy access to the nearby towns and ocho rios. I was disappointed that there was no beach in walking distance. We went to James Bond beach which was great, but had to take a taxi.
My one complaint is that the hotel advertise a complementary breakfast but when we got there they told us that it only comes with the more expensive packages. I had planned around a free breakfast...very misleading. I would definitely stay at this hotel in the future..the price is right! the views priceless!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank diana s
Nyack, New York
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I am currently in Montego Bay Jamaica as I am writing this review. I arrived on the Island October 23rd and is scheduled to depart on October 30, 2012. I have never stayed in St Mary before but due to the nature of my business I decided to stay the whole week there. Upon arrival on Tuesday I drove straight to St Mary in the pouring rain which marked the arrival of Sandy (which I had no idea about until arrival). Anyway on arrival at Casa Maria (I had already reserved a room in advance) I was shown to an old dingy room with three beds actually jammed on each other and literally no space to turn in the room, and the back door was rotten down. My friend who escorted me to the hotel took one look at the room and decided it was not safe (let me back track a little upon paying for the room the receptionist handed me a key and pointed to the stairs and told us the room # and we were left to find it on our own which was no easy task due to the convoluted way in which the numbers are).

After calling downstairs to the reception she came up and showed us two other rooms which were no better but we decided on a room with 2 single beds which was just placed against the wall as there were no bed heads and the pillows were so soft and almost invisible that even putting them together did not help to let them feel as pillows. The TV didn't work and the bathrooms were horrible and the face basin looked like it wasn't clean for years, not to mention the towels in the bathroom that were supposed to be white and looked more like brown there was only on bath and one wash and they both looked like something that you would use to clean the floor, that's how brown and torn they were (thankfully I had brought mine with me).

Shortly after checking in my friend left and I was alone at the hotel, then the rain started really pouring and blowing in over the balcony which overlooked the sea and I could hear dogs barking all evening but couldn't really say where it was coming from. As the rain started pouring more heavily I layed down to take a nap but I could feel little rain drops dropping in my head ever so often but I thought it was my imagination and I slept like that all night and kept waking because of it.

On Wednesday morning at 7:00 am there was a knocking on my door I opened the door and two men just barged in without introducing themselves and went to the back door leading towards the balcony to close the shutter (by this time the wind had started really blowing and the rain coming down). Apparently the shutters were not tied down properly as they kept bagging with loud nosie as the winds picked up, now this went on from 7:00 am until 2:00 pm when there was another knock on my door and two other guys barged in again went passed me to open the back door leading to the balcony, low and behold the lock was broken and one of them had to take the lock off with a knife he had they finally secured the shutter and left one of them I think his name was Wendell asked me why did I not call them to fix it.

I wen to lay down again and about 3:00 pm there was another knock on the door and some one came to fix the broken lock. By 3:30 there was another knock and someone came to mop off the balcony by this time the weather had gotten really bad and Sand had made landfall. The water was still coming through the window more noticeably and so I told one of the workers and they said they would have to get some old towels to stuff the windows. By this time I asked for a change of room and was told that they would have to check with the manager to see what he says. That took another half hour before they decided to move me. To my surprise they were moving me in a room nex to the one I was in which was even more smaller and smelly. The literally had to move an old dingy smelling mattress out of the room and tolde me that the manager says I should stay there the night and he would move me into something better, at which time I got a little perturbed.

I told the workers that that room was not worth all the money I paid for it and they asked me what's wrong with the room and I said "I have done a lot of travelling matter of fact travelling is my hobby and that is the worse place I have ever satyed". I said very calmly and nicely "imagine I am a guest in your hotel and your manager is on premises and given the circumstances and the weather he didn't even have the courtesy to check with his guest staying at the hotel (and yes, I was the only guest hed had there) was comfortable and ok, thats when Mr. Everton Maxwel flew up to the room and started mumbling and making excuses why he did'nt come up. He then left me in the same room by this time the water had started pouring into the room beneath the door and the worker Wendell had just came back with a mop and saw the water and told me I cannot stay in that room any longer at which time they moved me to another room.

At this time it was 4:30 pm the electricity and water had gone out since 11:30 am and I enquired what am I supposed to do in the dark and no water, the worker told me that they were going to wait and in the evening they would provied me with a lantern and a bucket of water. I lay down and fell asleep and by about 7:00 pm there came another knock on the door and the cook who acted as reception and cook all day his name is Chris handed me a big white bucket of water in case I needed to use the washroom and anything else. That was all I say of any of the workers for the rest of the night. Approximately 8:00 am Thursday morning I went downstairs for a walk and met the manager all he said was "good morning" and that was it.

Upon returning from my walk I asked the receptionist if she had any information on the status of the light and water she didn't so I told her I need to leave I couldn't staty there with no water, light, phone or food and which time she informed that "If I want she could turn the generator on so I could get some water and light" I didn't and asked to speak to the manager about getting a refund and was told he left for the town and would be notified upon his return. Shortly after the receptionist came to my room and inform me that Mr. Maxwel agree to refund me the balance of my payment but would not be able to do so until the electricity came back and he has no idea when that would be. I inquired if I could not be refunded the difference in cash seen that I need to find another hotel and was told absolutely not. The manager still did not come out and appologize for any inconveniences or even offered me a ride to a nearby hotel that had water or light, I was left to figure it out on my own. Plus I was charged the full amount the two nights even though I had not light or water. While I understand the hurricane was unforseen I also understood that there was a generator at the hotel that they didn't see necessary to turn on on my account.

I think Mr. Maxwel needs to take a class in hotel management and courtesy before continuing in this business and while I had no problems with the seclusiveness of the hotel there is a lot of work to be done there to at least clean it up and make it presentable, they are badly in need of new sheets and towels and toilet accessories that place needs a paint job and there is just a lot to be done to make this hotel competitive in the hotel industry, I am quite frankly surprised they survived this long. This is my fourth trip for this year and I like to travel but this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed and will not stay here again not even for free.

Room Tip: They were all disgusting
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank John J
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My Husband and I stayed here for almost two weeks in June. My Husband is a local and we started our trip at his family place in the country. We were going to stay at the hotel for only two or three days but ended up loving the comfort. The hotel is not fancy or new but it is very very clean and the staff is so friendly and kind. It was my first time in Jamaica and I fell in love with it. I wanted to stay...lol

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GabiJW
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband and i stayed at the Casa Maria Hotel for a few days in July 2011. We had a wonderful time. We wanted to get away from everything and just stay at a place where we could relax and feel at home. Very Clean facility, very friendly staffs that went out of their way to assist you with anything you needed. When we got up in the mornings we usually go out and return to the hotel late in the evenings. Whenever we got back, the room would be spotless, our things were safe, and we just felt at home with everything. We are going back this year for a few days and we are definitely looking forward to this stay. Wonderful hotel and i would recommend it to anyone who isn't interested in the hustle of the regular resorts in Negril, Ocho Rios, Mobay etc. This is the Place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 14 on the second floor is so comfortable and cozy. We loved it.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Couples Tower Isle
Couples Tower Isle
#5 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,073 reviews

Been to Casa Maria Hotel? Share your experiences!