“Life changing! ”
Review of Nomad Puerto Rico

Nomad Puerto Rico
Ranked #5 of 7 things to do in Lajas
Reviewed 12 August 2015 via mobile

Best thing I've ever done- and I've done a lot of things. if you're going to Puerto Rico, Cristobal is the man to take you in to Bioluminescent Bay. Life changing. Kayak in (skip arms that day ;)) and swim in a pool of glowing microscopic plankton .... You'll also get a phenomenal star gazing experience (I saw Scorpio!) Cristobal is beyond knowledgable and sweet as pie! I promise you'll have the best time. Thank you sooooooo much for my once in a lifetime evening under and above, twinkling magic x

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My family and I had an excellent experience during our nighttime biobay kayak tour with Cris. He was extremely knowledgeable and professional. The tour took place during sunset and then progressed to swimming in the lagoon with the dinoflagellates. He gave us a great presentation on the biology of the island and the bioluminescent bay. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Puerto Rico.

2  Thank marimily1
Reviewed 19 November 2013

You just have to get there and you are all set! Cristobal Rivera, founder and guide of the company, does the rest...Well, you just have to row through beautiful mangroves. First there was kayaking 101. We learned about the mangroves, the bay and even about constellations! Did you know that Orion's belt is what Puertorrican's call the Three King's constellation? I bet you did not! We enjoyed a swim among the sparkling waters under the stars. Gorgeous! When we were turning back, two people got tired and Cristobal towed them the rest of the way, what a service! A light snack and water were provided at the end of the tour. Mr. Rivera was very professional and informative. I highly recommend it!

3  Thank Leila A
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I must say that the tour is awesome. Cristobal Rivera founder of Nomad inc. went out of his way to acomodate us and give us a great experience. An easy and wonderfull paddle off shore to mangroves full of life and sea creatures. Not to mention that once it darkens you get to enjoy the star filled sky floating on a mirror that has stars of its own. By far one of my best trips so far. Recomend it to all that are looking for adventure or even the chance to float away with your significant other and give them the stars you always promissed. :)

1  Thank Ivan G
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We had a great time kayaking in the warm waters of the Caribbean and swimming in the sparkling waters of the bio bay. Kudos to Cris, our guide, for providing a well rounded experience. From initial contact, Cris was courteous, professional, and prompt in responding to our calls and answering our questions. Cris followed up via email and text with confirmations, directions, and additional information prior to the tour. He is very easy going and will make you feel safe in the water.
Our group consisted of people varying in ages from 5 yrs. old to 71yrs old. How do you manage such a diverse group at night in the dark on kayaks? My mom (71 yrs old) was in a kayak with our daughter (7 yrs old) and they were 'pulled' by Cris who was in another kayak. They could row, but really didn't have to since Cris was great at just taking them along. On another kayak, my husband, our 5 yr. old daughter, and myself followed.
Before starting Cris gave basic instructions on how to row and some safety rules to follow. We proceeded on kayaking out to the canals while dusk fell. The view was great. Along the way Cris would answer any questions and would comment on what we were seeing. Once you pass a tunnel of mangroves, you arrive in the lagoon. Cris gave a very educational and fun talk about the organisms that make the bio bay glow, other fish in the area, geography, and much more. He even brings along an ipad to show pictures of various fish. All this under a star lit sky. Oh, and Cris even showed us many constellations with a super cool pointer light he has.
I have to be honest, the main reason for me for taking the tour was to swim in the bio lagoon. I grew up in Puerto Rico and had visited La Parguera many times, but always in a boat were they drag water in a bucket for you to see. But I just had to swim in the water. Well, once we were in the lagoon, I got a little scared. Did I really want to jump in there? It was dark. When Cris said we could jump in, my 7 yr old just said "I want to!" and jumped right in. I had to follow her, you know, to 'protect' her. It was great! The water is warm and the more you move around the water the more 'spark' you see. Both my husband and 5 yr. old also swam. To my surprise, my very adventurous mom did not join us in the water. She later regretted this and still regrets not doing so...
Something fun is to wear goggles. You stick you head in the water, move your arms around and the glow looks different, brighter. We were lucky to go on a night with no moon. So there we were, under the stars, in the warm water, with our arms and legs glowing. It's not a huge glow, but its there when you move.
Suggestions for your tour:
1. Bring long sleeves, like a rash guard kind of shirt. Mosquitos are abundant and crazy, but don't let this deter you from this great experience.
2.Bring mosquito repellent. Cris had some for us to use, but we used a lot.
3. Bring water shoes. We didn't have any, but when you return from the tour, the ramp is muddy and so is the parking lot.
4.Arrive early, before the meeting time. This way you have more time to chat with the guide and enjoy the sunset. We had some police roadblocks on the way there due to an event had to detour. Cris was great on the phone guiding us on an alternate route. La Parguera is a poplar hang out place that gets full, specially on the weekends, so roads just near the various boat launching areas get crowded.
We encountered some boaters in the area but Cris signaled to them and they went by.
No need to bring a camera on the kayak. Included on the tour price are pictures taken by the guide! And they have healthy snacks and water waiting for you once you arrive back.
We will repeat this tour again with Nomad and Cris. And of course, we've already told our friends about it.

2  Thank Monica G