“A fine country Inn”
Review of The Exeter Arms

The Exeter Arms
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed over for one night and had dinner in the pub's restaurant. Our room was one the first floor of an outbuilding, accessed via an external stair. It was large, clean and comfortably furnished, with good facilities. The only downside was a little late night/early morning road noise from the nearby main road, but this did not detract from our stay. The real find was the restaurant food, which was amongst the best I've had at this type of establishment. Nicely presented, imaginative and delicious - very good value for the quality. The selection at breakfast was not extensive, but offered a good variety of hot dishes that could be ordered from the menu. All in all, a place I would thoroughly recommend for short breaks or simply for an excellent meal.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Went with my husband and son this Sunday and it was fab.
For £20 we got the 3 courses and we are big eaters! At one point I thought they might of served too much food but my husband proved me wrong haha. Fantastic quality and quantity and set in a beautiful pub. We have tried many pubs in the surrounding areas and this is the best. We will be returning soon!

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We had a lovely, clean room with a large, comfy bed. There was no pub noise, despite being upstairs. Breakfast was plentiful, but a bit haphazard, as everything came at once and the boiled eggs were so runny as to be deemed raw. The porridge was great though!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AustralianTourists
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

The B&B is set in the countryside in a small village. The room (6) which has its own access, was large and airy, it was kept lovely and warm on some very cold days. The room is very tastefully decorated, the bed and bed linen are of a high standard and comfortable.
Everything was there including some delicious biscuits. The breakfast was very good I had the full English which is served well presented and is very good, there is a breakfast menu with omelettes, fish etc so something for everyone. There is a restaurant which serves mouth watering food which I would highly recommend which was also presented very well. Well done to the chef there :-)

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Great fans of The Exeter Arms but recently it has changed . Just doesn't have the atmosphere it has had in its first couple of years . On arrival we had no ' would you like a drink here or at your table ' so we went to sit down , near the bar . Nothing until 25 minutes later after I made my husband go up to ask for menus . My husbands rib eye steak was not of good standard , very poor . Friday evening and just 3 other tables taken . This place use to be buzzing !!! You could never get in , throughout the whole of the year !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We have eaten at the Exeter a few times and have usually been impressed both by the friendly service and imaginative food from what we would rate as a better than average country restaurant. However, last night we were a trifle underwhelmed and felt our meal was not up to the standard we’ve experienced before.

Perhaps it was due to our visit being mid week, perhaps it was pre the Christmas focus, may be even key staff had the evening off, but for whatever reason, it was a bit lacklustre compared with previous stops here.

The Exeter Arms has a relaxed atmosphere and pleasant setting in a rustic style with seating in several areas including a conservatory (can’t think it has ever been used for wintering citrus fruit trees, so it really isn’t an “orangery”, despite the epithet).

On arrival we were offered drinks at the bar, or at our table, and chose the latter as it was comfy and quiet. In fact, it cannot have been more than about a quarter or so full all evening. We opted for a bottle of wine as both aperitif and to accompany the meal and other drinks. However, the wine was immediately brought to the table and put on ice, but not poured, even though we had not yet given our order. Self-service and thirst intervened.

The menu, as before, shows imagination and there is good variety making choice a pleasurable and thoughtful process. Presentation is elegant with quite a lot of use of slate plates, making the food look appetising. Smoked haddock scotch egg was a nice idea, especially with what appeared to be a quail’s egg inside (it was small, but of unspecified origin). However, it was a little bland, perhaps lacking in seasoning and certainly any magic. Other courses – duck, pork belly etc – were pleasing, but not particularly memorable and my wife’s burger was overcooked. She subsequently said she should have sent it back (always a good practice to allow an establishment to rectify an issue), but perhaps she was mindful of the guests with us, so avoided any upset.

During the meal, service was circumspect and polite, but lacked enthusiasm and interest, suggesting a mild lack of attention. Perhaps a little staff training or a gee up would help. Diners don’t want to get to the end of the evening and be asked, “Do you want the bill or would you like coffee?” It would be so much better to ask, “Have you enjoyed yourselves?” (We had the coffee, but would they have preferred us to leave? – we certainly weren’t the last away.)
At a smidgen under £150 for four, including tip, it wasn’t cheap. Given the price, we would have expected a bit more.

So, Exeter Arms, close but no cigar. We will return I suspect, but not in a hurry, there are so many other places to choose from. We are fans of your sister restaurants and hope that our disappointment this time is an isolated incident, but you could usefully pull your socks up a little and shine again.
_____

I endeavour to write reviews that are objective and thorough and drawn on considerable experience. In my opinion scores on this site are usually inflated as one would expect the mean score to be 3 stars and the range evenly spread, rather than a skew to higher ratings. I make an allowance for lower grade establishments, adjusting them within their class, but cannot see me ever giving a “greasy spoon” 5 stars. I am not afraid of identifying problems or issues, but also making constructive remarks, if I feel they are deserved. As a rule, we carefully select where we go, our visits are not random, so there may also be a skew in my scoring for this reason. However, some visits are spontaneous. If you enjoyed my report, please give it a helpful vote.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dive-Travel-Writer
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We recently visited for Sunday Lunch with a couple of friends.

Food was ok, but we expected better for the price. There are other local pubs where you can enjoy better quality food at the same price.

The Sunday lunch menu is 15.50 for one course and a bit extra for two or three courses. This is overpriced as some of the options were only 12 or 13 on the al a carte menu.

I had the lamb which was good, my wife had the pork which was ok, our friends had beef, they were asked if pink was ok, they confirmed it was as this was the way they would like it - it wasn't, it was cooked all they way through.

Service was a little slow (it was full), but the waiters were friendly.

Our friends had pre-booked a high chair for their little one, but we had to wait 30 mins for this, not ideal when you've booked this in advance.

Overall we wouldn't be in a hurry to return.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Easton on the Hill
The Crown Hotel Stamford
The Collyweston Slater
The Collyweston Slater
#1 of 1 in Collyweston
Borderville Farm Guest House

Been to The Exeter Arms? Share your experiences!