“Very good food but the service lets them down”

SeaChange Beach Cafe
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Ruakaka
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Very good food but the service lets them down”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We went for brunch with a group of friends. The food selection is very good and the prices reasonable. I wanted the corn fritters but once again they were off the menu. However the beach burger with its magnificent homemade pattie was just terrific. The fries with aioli as well as sauce were great. Food arrived promptly but the waitresses were a letdown. Even though all customers were assigned numbers we had waitresses arrive at our table with random orders enquiring if this was the order for anyone at our table. When our orders did arrive they were not placed in front of the person who ordered the food but just plonked down at the table end for others to pass on. No cutlery was given and when we enquired we were told to help ourselves from the end of the counter(??). There was no excuse for this poor service; the place was not particularly busy. I think that the poor service is more a training matter rather than any "intent". We've enjoyed several visits over the summer while staying at the local motor camp. Keep on with the great food and with a little more effort on the service side, this will become a very good cafe overall.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank John-Vanessa

Whangarei, New Zealand
“Grabone”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Bought a Grabone to the value of $39.80 with the only exclusion (scotch fillet main) ordered Vegetarian Burger $10 with fries $5.50 fries refused owner said I had to pay for the fries (very confused) cancelled fries as I did not see why I should pay for something when I had only spent $10?? Then ordered Quiche slice with side Salad (not sure of the value) plus minus $15.00 but I was denied this as the owner said it was not on the Grabone deal (remember the exclusion!!) and I had to pay for the Quiche and the Salad, so once again I cancelled my order. I ordered the Corn Fritters minus the bacon value $16.00 so my total order was for $26.00 I am still confused as to why I could not get the Quiche, Side Salad or Fries!!?? The owner said that she would look this up on the internet as this was her first time using Grabone and walked off, I never saw her again as she could not be bothered to come back and explain the confusion to us! What made matters worse was that my friend in front of me ordered the Chicken Burger with Fries and got her Fries! Discrimination against Vegetarians or just plain confusion...... Bad management! The waitress that served us was outstanding, thank you. No problem with Grabone, fantastic service, but Seacharge Beach Café........ sort yourself out! I was not the only customer that was unhappy there that day, just the only one that spoke up!!!

• Visited April 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely service, Fab food”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This place is yummy, great little gem, just what you need after a day of swimming, sunshine, walking and admiring how beautiful this part of the world is ...

Visited March 2014
HK
“Warm service, great food”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We were driving from Auckland to Paihia and needed to make a quick stop for lunch. Happened to find this restaurant by chance when I googled the area. The food is very good value for money. The staff recommended the Fish & Chips special, pan fried or friend in battered for $9.99 which was superb. All the ingredients they use are very fresh. The owner even came out and shared her cooking tips with us. They have a good selection of cakes too, but we didn't get to try them this time. Would definitely recommend anyone who desires a nice lunch to try this cozy place.

• Visited February 2014
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
“Good Food, Very friendly staff”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The seafood we have there was very fresh and the home made dressing for the salad taste really good. Staff are friendly and helpful.

• Visited February 2014