“Overpriced meals and sorry can't say they were very good either”

Pokeno Country Cafe
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Pokeno
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Seating
Rotorua, New Zealand
“Overpriced meals and sorry can't say they were very good either”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I ate here yesterday while coming back from a trip up North in our motorhome. We decided to eat in a café for a bit of a change. It seems to be the only café in Pokeno and it was a wet bleak day but a few diners about. Some looked like travellers like us. Husband ordered the Kiwi Breakfast, though on the very pricey $24.00 he thought he would get a very good sized meal. Not to be it was a very average to poor meal and certainly not worth the amount paid. We often dine out in other cafes that are far more upmarket and the prices for similar breakfast is always a lot cheaper. I had the soup, which was a bit dear but not in comparison with other breakfast. But not that great and a disappointing 1 slice of toast included with it. So sorry can't really recommend this café. And looking at the menu many of the items are pricey.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Strickes

Yeppoon, Australia
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I read the interesting history of Pokeno (on the cafe wall) while I waited for our sandwiches on a busy long weekend recently. The concept is great - Pokeno offer a wide range of breakfast and lunch menu options; children's meals ($5-13); packaged ham, bacon and sausage goods for sale in the display fridge; and ample seating. We opted for the ham off the bone sandwiches ($7) and found the ham a bit salty for our taste. The service was speedy and the staff friendly and the cafe is obviously popular.

• Visited January 2014
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Friendly service, food left very bad taste in mouth”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

If you read my reviews you will see that I am very fair and tend not to be critical, but this place really raised my ire. A $14 steak burger, size just a little bigger than a big mac, grossly overpriced. if it came with chips or some other food may have been ok, but chips cost me another $2. This burger was one of the single most revolting foods I have tasted in a very long time. I had one small mouthful of steak from the edge of the burger which was so chewy I couldn't eat it. And the taste was disgusting. It had obviously been cooked on a dirty grill using burnt grease. It was rancid. I ate my chips and left the entire burger on my plate. So, so disappointing. Never again. In fact I found the whole of Pokeno a huge disappointment.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Rex S
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Brunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Sunday brunch, considering the amount of people the service was very quick. The food was adequate cafe fare, though I did think, the prices were on the high side for the quality of the food. Still, a pleasant way to spend the morning.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank tuisgirl
Nelson, New Zealand
“great place for a meeting, half way between Auckland and Hamilton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

What do you do when you need a place to meet, half way between Auckland and Hamilton? Go to the Pokeno Country Cafe.

The staff were so hospitable, letting us spread out in their outside (but under cover) area, as well as spend over four hours at it! Good service, good food and good prices.

We'll be back. Apparently we are not the only ones to decide this is an easy, comfortable and accessible place to meet that has reasonable choice in food and does not cost the earth.

Visited May 2013