“A great week of cycling & relaxing...”
Review of Velo Vercors

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Jean-en-Royans
Velo Vercors
London, United Kingdom
“A great week of cycling & relaxing...”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I recently enjoyed a week staying in one of the gites at Velo Vercors. Their location is in a quiet spot close to the town centre of St Jean en Royans, with a spacious garden, with pool, and a large indoor/outdoor lounge area.
We selected Velo Vercors as a cycling destination...and it does not disappoint! the scenery and route options are fantastic, beautiful climbs and dramatic descents on quiet roads. Teresa & Roger were on hand to answer any queries about Velo Vercours, the town, local area and of course the routes. Roger's enthusiasm is infectious and was up and about in the mornings - keen to discuss route options & checking what challenges, or not, we fancied for that day. I managed to cycle 7 days in a row during our stay, something I haven't done for years.

Key questions - would you go again? Yes, especially as we discovered the TGV goes to Valance and VV can arrange bike rental for you it's possible to go for a long weekend!

PS. I had a massage when I was their from their local Massage therapist - highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

If you still aren't sure and need to read just one more raving review then please continue, but by now you should get the picture. In cycling terms this place rocks.The Vercors is pretty special,lots of riding options depending on your mood all of them great.Perfect accommodation for a group (we had nine)topped off by delicious meals served by wonderful hosts. Pack your bike,buy your ticket,drag a couple of riding buddies along and GO!
Thanks Teresa and Roger

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I just took a quick look at the other trip advisor reviews here and they are overwhelming positive, five-star reviews, and that accurately reflects my experience in two separate stays in the B&B side of the Velo Vercors operation this year. I am not sure where to begin with this review, but I know I would like to hit on some of the many positive aspects of Velo Vercors stay:
- Teresa and Roger are simply the best - they could not be more helpful, and they did a fantastic job of orienting me in the Vercors region.
- The B&B bedrooms are very simple, but comfortable, and that's what I was looking for. Nice private bath with a shower, wifi - I was able to Skype and surf the web no problem. The garden outside, and the deck and lounge area in the back are a delight.
- The B&B included breakfasts, and they could not have been better. They were perfect pre-ride with granola, yogurt, plenty of fresh fruit, walnuts, juice, bread, croissants, coffee or tea - pretty much exactly what I before a big ride. Over breakfast, Roger and Teresa are very enthusiastic about giving advice and Xerox maps for possible routes.
- There are a ton of great riding options available in the area. There is very little traffic, the roads are in great shape, and while the climbs up onto the Vercors plateaux and mountains are amazing, spectacular views, awesome balcony roads, and there are some great flat rides in the area, too. You could ride the area for a couple of weeks without repeating rides. I cannot stress enough how great the riding in the immediate area is. Sure, you could go south and ride in the Ventoux area or north and ride Alpe d'Huez and the Bourg d'Oisans area as day trips with a car, but why? The Vercors are a worthy destination in and of themselves. I'm an old skier, and in skiing there is an old saying: 'Don't leave good skiing to find good skiing.' I feel the same way about the Vercors. If you have never been to Alpe d'Huez or Mount Ventoux, sure, by all means go; but I would rather make them a separate trip and while at Velo Vercors, ride the Vercors. Also, it is worth noting that the Vercors are a little further south and lower than other parts of the French Alps, so the cols are open much sooner in the spring than many of the cols to the north. That figured into my planning for this year and I was not disappointed.
- I would and will go back to Velo Vercors in a heartbeat, and that's about as good a recommendation as I can give. Happy cycling! Chris H.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Chris H
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Myself and my boyfriend spent a fantastic week with Therese and Roger at the end of June , fresh from a hectic week of weddings, exams and deadlines. What we got with velo vercours was pure bliss. We are both sporty but not particularly avid cyclists. Everyday we set off at our leisure on two excellent road bikes rented from velo vercours. The scenery was AMAZING and the little villages with their boulangeries and cafés made every cycling trip the perfect mix of exertion and 'treats'!! What holidays should be about!!in the evenings we could relax by the pool, take a stroll through the village or along the walking trails or simply relax on the terrace with a glass of vine! We were never under any pressure to be up in time for brekki, cycle particular routes or adhere to any schedule whatsoever!! We totally switched off!! Bliss!we left feeling we had made two new friends in our hosts Therese and Roger who went out of their way to accommodate all our needs and requests! From booking massages to restaurants to hairdressers!! I'm now wishing for the opportunity to 'getaway' again to this idyllic place! Here's hoping!!!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Babsmce
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were a group of 12 Australian cyclists just fresh from a week cycling in Provence and the Mont Ventoux. On arrival at Velo Vercors we were warmly welcomed by Roger and Teresa and shown to our gite accommodation. The gites are basic but very well set up and comfortable with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom which is tiled and very clean. The kitchen is fine for those who wish to do their own cooking. Still excellent value for the money. We had 2 delicious evening meals cooked by Teresa, one which included fresh salmon from the salmon farm next door with plenty of local wine as well. We also had great cyclists breakfast every morning. The other evenings we ate at the local restaurants in the village of St Jean en Royans. The village has everything you need within walking distance of Velo Vercors, including the most amazing bakeries. Our group certainly made the most of the facilities in the village and found the locals very friendly and welcoming. Now to talk about the cycling, every morning Roger had suggested routes for us which included harder rides for those wishing to climb mountains and more gentler rides for the others. Every ride was amazing and was more scenic, better roads and less traffic than Provence. The variety in grades is endless and suited to all levels of riders. Just awesome. I cant say enough about the helpfulness and friendliness of Roger and Teresa who just made the whole experience perfect. I am sure we will be returning to enjoy this amazing part of France.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Karen B
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a few days in June at Velo Vercors for several days of solo riding. The B&B room accommodations were just right for my stay and offered at a reasonable price. The food was great, and the accommodations were up to date and comforting.

Roger and Teresa's joy for the area, the scenery, and the cycling opportunities are infectious. They take great pride in their business, their community, and insuring that their guests make the most of their time while visiting. Whether you are there for some casual touring and relaxing afternoons, or some serious training opportunities, the options are endless and your hosts will help you if needed, or just leave you be if you'd rather just lounge about.

If you are looking for a spot to take a cycling tour and enjoy the wealth of terrain that France has to offer this is your place. Whether you are traveling alone, with the family and children, or a group of friends, Teresa and Roger have a set up that can accommodate your needs. I can't say enough about the experience.

Room Tip: The B&B's are a great option if you don't need a kitchen. There are plenty of great food...