Having booked through Secret Escapes and being told that we would get a room with spa bath and our own pool in our own private garden, I was really looking forward to this short break.
Initial impressions were excellent, lovely reception and very couteous staff.
Our room was a diasppointment though, no spa bath and no pool. We did have a nice big shower though, but the door stuck terribly and was difficult to open (my husband also told me on our return that he had seen a cockroach in there). The room itself was simply furnished and quite comfortable, although there was no seating area or coffee making failities. There was the free wine though and although we had to ask twice for a corkscrew one did eventually turn up. We did request another room but were told that none were avilable. We were also told that none of the villas had baths, I know this was not true!
The restaurant was good, not excellent but good and as commented on by previous reviewer breakfast was not a welcoming affair. The spa was a disappointment, was expecting spa facilities for general use, however the spa could only be used when booked for a treatment which was very expensive. The website also advertises the farm and restaurant there. It is only open on a saturday and sunday.
The wine and cheese tasting was also a bit of a disappointment. The room was lovely but not set up for the number of people booked on the tasting so we all had to shuffle round to make room, just not very professional. There were about 30 people there 4 of whom spoke Spanish. The tasting lasted for almost 2 hours and was conducted almost entirely in Spanish. We did have some tasting notes in English but it did not really add to the atmosphere. I later found out that there had been an English tasting session on that day. If they can do it once why not again??
On our last morning we had to leave before breakfast and were told that as the kitchen was not open we could not have breakfast. Eventually they agreed to bring us tea and pastries at 6am. We got coffee and donuts at 6.30. Not really a 5 star experience and all in all a bit of a disappointment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hacienda Zorita Wine Hotel & Spa is situated just 10 minutes from the historic city of Salamanca, surrounded by countryside and vineyards. It was an ancient Dominican monastery of the 14th century, located on the river Tormes. Its history dates back to 1366. It was here that Christopher Columbus convinced the Catholic Kings to provide him with the necessary financial support to realize their dream, discover the New World. Our guests can enjoy the traditional hospitality lived on ‘haciendas’, providing them with absolute relaxation. Hacienda Zorita Wine Hotel & Spa has 40 rooms, suites and villas, all of them have or river views or overlooking the vineyards. It is a perfect combination of tradition and modernity. Villamayor stone, its ancient trees, the collection of Provencal lockers of the 16th century and religious works of art are fused together with contemporary paintings and modern facilities thus creating an timeless environment. During the stay, they can delight their palates with our own wines and products, 100% natural oils such as extra virgin olive oil, cheese and Iberian; and they are all limited productions. This place with its own personality has many hidden nooks and crannies to explore. Enjoy the experience 'To Live-To Love by Hacienda Zorita' and discover an authentic and unique experience. Our guests can enjoy a personalized service, which will make the stay unique and unforgettable. We always offer a simple and sophisticated service. Luxury is in simplicity! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK) and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hacienda Zorita Wine Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Zorita Hotel Valverdon
- Hacienda Zorita Wine Hotel & Spa Province Of Salamanca, Spain