“Gorgeous resort”
Review of Rayavadee Resort

Rayavadee Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed here in low season in October 2013 - solo traveller. The staff were amazing - so welcoming and there were so many small touches from them that made me feel very welcome. The villas too are a very high standard and much larger than other hotels I have stayed in. I loved the food as well and found the prices as expected in a resort of this standard - there are much cheaper options on one of the beaches if that is a concern. I went out on one of the island hopping trips which they kindly ran just for me even though it was supposed to be for a group.

The only downside for me was that the beaches are public and during the day I did find the crowds visiting disruptive. This was low season so I can only imagine how much worse it gets in high season. The setting is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen (having stayed in many resorts in Thailand) and if you swim in the sea before the boats arrive it is stunning. Most of the rest of the time I stayed by the pool instead (which is amazing too). There was an event on the beach one day with loudspeakers which again was disruptive.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BritHK
There are newer reviews for Rayavadee Resort

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Rayavadee during our honeymoon and we had very high expectations from the photos, reviews and price.
I can honestly say the gounds are very nice, situated up against a giant limestone cliff, makes for great scenary by the pool, the villas are beautiful and comfortable, and the welcoming when we arrived made us feel special.
But that's were it ended. The service was ok, the food was ok, even though they were charging prices for a Michelin star restaurant, we did not receive Michelin star food. Language seemed to be a major barrier for the employees. For such a "world class resort", english communication was less than basic.
When we checked out, the porter took one of my bags form our villa and left on his golf cart, even though I told him I had one more to get. My wife and I had to carry our luggage through this maze of a resort to check out.
Overall its buyer beware at Rayavadee.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This place is a total joy.The staff are wonderfully friendly and efficient.The Thai restaurant was superb with delicious fish and seafood the stand out dishes.The villas are very stylish with great beds and heavenly bath.We went on a half day boat trip which was huge fun with some good snorkeling.if The passion for the place was brilliantly conveyed by the member of staff who looks after poolside guests.You could not find a more relaxing place to spend a luxurious few days.We cannot wait to return

Room Tip: Any room will do
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Epicure134
Claudine T, Director of Sales at Rayavadee Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2013

Dear Epicure 134,

Warm greetings from Rayavadee! Thank you very much for your kind feedback on your recent stay on Trip Advisor. We are very glad to know you passed a relaxing holiday and that you were well looked after my our staff throughout. Thank you as well for the compliments on our pavilion design and the food at our Thai restaurant.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the very near future. Wishing you all the best for the holiday season and the start of 2014!

Kind regards,

Claudine T.
Director of Sales & Marketing
Rayavadee, Krabi

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We had a short family stay at Rayavadee attending the friends' wedding. We had a wonderful experience! Fabulous resort with nicely designed and decorated pavilions and a breathtakingly beautiful garden, rich flora and fauna. Courteous staff, very friendly service. Our pavilion was spacious but cozy, with a huge bed upstairs, always with fresh bed sheets and towels and daily supply of lovely toiletries. There was a daily serving of fresh tropical fruit and various complimentary snacks/drinks, which was a nice touch! Very good breakfast! The swimming pool was big and nice, but we preferred to swim in the sea, clean and warm water, sandy beaches (that could get a bit crowded when the boats with tourists arrived). We were lucky to use property amenities like snorkelling and kayaking provided by the hotel. The restaurants in Rayavadee served delicious and expensive food, but it's possible to get cheaper and not less tasty options in nearby local restaurants. We did enjoy our stay and would love to come again. Rayavadee is a luxury resort, but is a perfect place for a romantic getaway or special occasion!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank peacefulcoral
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I just returned from this beautiful resort and had such an amazing time! Hands down the attention to detail and the friendliness of the staff made the stay so special. There were no requests that we made that they didn't say yes to with a smile. Personally enjoyed the attention we had while at the pool (which was never crowded). I only wish I could remember the young man's name who waited on us hand and foot. He even set up some loungers on the rocks closer to the beach so we could enjoy the view better. Personally, I never thought the long tailed boats were that bothersome, actually added more charm than the speedboats. Of course, if they were quieter, but can't have it all. At least at this resort, you can move to other beaches rather easily if one got too crowded for your taste. But I felt where the resort was located, it was in a perfect spot with beautiful trees and cliffs. We enjoyed being able to hop on a 10-minute long tailed boat ride to Aonang for a little more dining and nightlife, but always enjoyed returning to our quiet resort. As previously written, the villas are huge and we never saw or heard any others while at our villa. I won't repeat all the amenities in the villa since they were previously mentioned, but top-notch! And there were always plenty of kayaks, snorkel gear, etc. available for your pleasure to use whenever you wanted. Yes the excursions are expensive, but as we found out, well worth it. We used a tour company outside the resort for half the price, but got what we paid for. The boat was late picking us up, was not in the best condition, and they didn't speak english well so we had a difficult time communicating. Then booked a private day with the resort and realized it was well worth the extra cost. We were treated like celebrities! It's a splurge but highly highly recommend it! They catered our trip to exactly what we wanted to see and do, and then some! As far as dining, our favorite restaurant was the Raitalay Terrace by the pool. Ate there several times and everything was fantastic. And how can you not get your fill at breakfast? Besides the buffet, you can order al a carte off the placard on the table. The only downside we found was we wish they had better markings/directions for your villa. Can't tell you how many times we got lost or found ourselves down the wrong path. But overall....loved this place!!!

Room Tip: We were sort of in the middle of the resort towards the fitness center and may have avoided any nois...
4  Thank pvickwoo
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I visited this resort just last week and were absolutely blown away by absolutely everything they offered.

Service: Top notch. Almost every interaction my wife and I had with the staff at Rayavadee left us astonished at the over-the-top customer service provided. Each day at the pool we were addressed by name, asked about our day, and checked in on throughout the day by the pool staff. It got to the point where we felt like close friends by the end of the trip. The waitstaff at each of the restaurants were incredibly friendly and very focused on ensuring your enjoyment while eating. Overall, I would honestly say that the service was one of the best, if not the best, I've ever experienced at a hotel.

Resort: The resort itself is enough reason to visit this place. The pavilions are situated in jungle environment while you are surrounded by limestone cliffs and access to clear blue water and white sand beaches on all sides (you can't actually see then from the pavilions unless you rent the villas, but it's a 5 minute walk to each beach). You will seed the staff is performing upkeep on the resort daily (trimming low branches, sweeping back the brush, etc), though in no way does it stick out and interfere with the experience.

The pavilions are beautiful. My wife and I stayed in the Deluxe Pavilion and we loved it. The first floor "family room" was nice and clean and the staff provides a few complimentary snacks and drinks (including beer) each day. The bed rooms were beautiful as well, with huge windows all around providing unreal natural sunlight and plenty of space for both of us to spread out.

I've seen some people mention the excessive noise from people and boats and I must say I did not have that experience. Rarely did we ever see, let alone hear anyone else while we were in our pavilion. Moreover, only one night while walking back from a restaurant did we hear any music from the beaches and even then, once we made our way into the pavilion, the noise did not make it's way through. As for boats, unless you are staying in a villa, which directly backs up to the beach, I'm not sure how you'd ever hear the longboats as none of the pavilions are anywhere near close enough to the part of the beach where the boats arrive and depart.

Experience: Cannot be matched. You arrive to the small cove on a boat and are greeted by a tractor that takes you from the shallow waters to the front steps of resort. Immediately you are treated to a cool towel and drink and a warm welcome from the staff.

The pavilions are in the jungle and you are steps away from beautiful beaches and clear blue warm waters. Monkeys swing through the trees (we saw monkeys on more then 4 occasions on this trip, 3 different species) and there are 3 top notch restaurants on the resort premises. If you are looking to get out a little, you are a 5 minute walk to two different beach "downtowns" (one on Railay Beach and one on Nammo Beach) where you can grab a drink, some local food and shopping). The resort offers great trips and you can also walk 5 minutes to Railay Beach and book your own trips (which are less expensive, but a lower level of service). You have unlimited access to kayaks and snorkeling and you are lay out by the pool or beach with a friendly staff to watch after your belongings if you want to go for a walk. For my wife and I, this resort was the best place we've ever stayed and we will no doubt try to make our way back there again.

Two things to remember:
(1) this is a 5 star resort and as such, you are going to be paying 5 star prices. The restaurants are priced relatively the same as those on Railay Beach, while being slightly above those on Namma Beach. Neither of us visited the spa, but we did take one trip with them (Elephant excursion) and tried to book another (Private boat to Phi Phi). If you want to save some money, book trips like fishing and boat tours through the people on Railay Beach as you'll pay about 75% of the Rayavadee price (but you also don't get the same "type" of customer service).

However, my wife and I spent 7 days on this island and our bill of items booked to the room was about $1,100. That includes 4 restaurant dinners, a private dining night in the room, a beach barbecue, an elephant excursion, 3-4 snacks/lunches and drinks, and transportation to and from the airport. The other two nights we ate out we paid similar prices on Railay Beach.

(2) You are in the jungle and might want to lower you expectations when it comes to bugs, ants, etc. We NEVER had an issue with bugs or ants in the rooms, but when you are walking around there are bugs, ants, mosquitos etc, everywhere. If you are looking to COMPLETELY AVOID seeing these creatures anywhere, then a jungle resort might not be for you. My wife and I put on bug lotion everyday and were fine. Do you still get bit, yes, but so long as you keep putting on the lotion (and a spray provided by the resort) you will be fine.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe pavilion and it was wonderful. We didn't think we needed the spa or poo...
2  Thank Greg B
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Let's start with the good. We had a wonderful time and were continuously blown away at the Rayavadee Resort, a truly unique and amazing place. It's like living first class in the middle of a jungle with beautiful flora, wild monkeys, fish, frogs and few mosquitoes. Our stay started with a very dramatic entrance. A luxurious private van picked us up at the airport (equipped with massage chairs) to take us to the pier with a speedboat waiting to whisk us away to the resort. The entrance was spectacular with the limestone cliffs all around. The staff was there waiting for us with welcome drinks and towels. We were given a very nice orientation of the resort and then escorted to our pavilion. I don't know how we got to be so lucky because I think our Spa Pavilion had the best view in the resort (other than the villas that were right on the water). The service was exceptional for the most part and especially memorable during our stay were three people, Monica at the Krua Phranang Thai dining. The food was excellent and Monica made it even better with her dinner suggestions, her welcoming smile and her fun Thai language lessons. Salma, who was our cooking class instructor, was awesome. We had so much fun and she helped take the mystery out of cooking Thai. I highly recommend taking a class with her. Syahreza, the resort's General Manager. I was so impressed that he came by to see how we were doing, introduced himself and addressed us by our names. He had heard we were bothered by what I will discuss in the "ugly" section below.
OK, here is the bad, although these shouldn't be a deterrent to stay at this resort and keep in mind I'm a 5 star kind of gal, I can stay in the 4 stars if I HAVE too. I fell in love with the resort because of the photos on the website and although we really liked our beautiful spa pavilion and it was clean and well maintained, these photos were taken many moons ago when the resort was brand new or they were "glamour-shopped". From the photos I was dreaming about a romantic evening in the outdoor spa with my husband and a bottle of bubbly but after seeing the outdoor spa in real life there was no way I was getting in that thing with all the bugs and ants inside it and mosquitoes and dirt surrounding it. Eweee-a! The resort does not look as pristine as the photos anymore but the years have given this resort magical rustic feeling that no photo could capture. Also, the website would have one believe the resort is secluded but that is NOT the case. The resort beaches are public (I knew this ahead of time because like you, I read the Tripadvisor reviews) and off to the sides of the resort along the beaches are some filthy, dirty back-packer havens with some "hotels or hostels", "restaurants and bars" and a few shops. They line the beach but the trash is just dumped into the ocean along with their sewage. Again, eweee-a!!! I recommend staying off of "Walking Street" It's seedy and very unfriendly. We stopped for a beer but after they left such a bad impression we regretted giving them any money. I also read about the noise from the long-tail boats but that didn't bother me because I found that to be part of the charm. We actually rented one for a half day tour, about $55 compared to the resort island trip for $350 or more :( BTW, the islands are also public and they are filled with people and vendors selling food so nix that romantic picnic lunch idea.
Now for the ugly. I know this is rated a 5 star resort so I expected to pay a premium. I was ok with that but I felt trapped by the resort's outrageous prices. Everything was 5 times more expensive than it should have been, especially in Thailand. We felt as though the resort was taking advantage of their captured audience. We stayed three nights, took a cooking class, I got one massage and we ate 3 light lunches and 3 dinners and drinks (one dinner was included and every breakfast too) and our bill was over $2,600!! So unless we wanted to pay too much for any excursion/massage/dinner we would have had to go to to one of the backpacker havens - yeah, no thanks. What we were not informed of through the resort or Tripadvisor was the very loud music from one of the neighboring hotels/hostels/bars that started every night around 11pm and lasted until 2-2:30 am!!! OMG!!!! It woke me up every night with the awful bass! That is what we complained about and since it is not from the resort there was nothing they could do about it except maybe sell us some expensive earplugs?
So summing it all up..
We loved the:
Upgraded spa pavilion
Incomparable setting of the resort with limestone cliffs and picturesque beaches
Staff (some exceptional, most were very good, a couple were snooty)
Fauna and flora
Food (we didn't try the Grotto - it was not what the photos look like. Unless we missed something it was more of an enclave than a cave and the floor was just dirt or sand and I don't like eating with ants...)
My favorite - the monkeys, they were everywhere and we thought they were so cute!! I'm sure the staff didn't because we did see one of the staff members holding a slingshot going to scare away the monkeys that were eating flowers off the "just married" golf cart, we were assured that they don't actually hit the monkeys, just scare them :/

We disliked the:
Loud music from the neighboring hostel/hotel
How easy it was to get lost on the giant resort property
Staff member holding a slingshot going to scare away the monkeys
Overpriced activities
Expensive spa menu
No inexpensive food options

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Spa Pavilion if you can. We loved the view from 3/45
8  Thank Deb W
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
#8 of 13 in Railay Beach
Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Rayavadee Resort? Share your experiences!