“Was hesitant, but a pleasant surprise”
Review of Rayavadee Resort

Rayavadee Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
New York City, New York
“Was hesitant, but a pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Before I booked the hotel, my local Thai friend told me it was a really nice hotel, but it's showing its age a bit. For someone who likes things on the newer side, I was a little hesitant given the price. Needless to say, our stay turned out to be exceptional!

Rooms are bungalow style and are dual floors; the bedroom on the top and the living area on the bottom. The decor was resort chic, comfortable and very tastefully done. Maybe we were in a newly remodeled room, but I did not notice the aging my friend talked about. The bathrooms are packed with thoughtful toiletries like after sun lotion and natural mosquito repellents.

They have welcome cocktail drinks with complimentary wine and hor d'oeuvres every week (maybe twice a week) so that all the guests can meet other guests and talk to management. On top of that, they have complimentary afternoon tea and snacks every other day (if my memory serves me correctly).

Location-wise, the hotel is located at the tip of the mainland, but is only accessible by boat. They touch all three beaches: Phranang Beach, Railey Beach and the docking Nam Mao Beach. Since beaches in Thailand are public, Railey and Phranang gets really crowded during the day as many day tours stop there. However, after all the boat leaves at around 5pm, the beach is quiet and the sunset magnificent!

If you like rock-climbing, which Krabi is known for, then this location is ideal as the best rock-climbing is on Phranang Beach, a stone throw away.

Behind the hotel is also a trail that leads to a semi-secluded waterfall and cove.

There are also many dining options and for better or worse, their restaurants and bars are not open to non-hotel guests. This is good because it is never crowded so you can always relax and always have a place to eat since options are limited in the area. It's also bad because it does seem a little pretentious.

This hotel also boasts the infamous Grotto restaurant and bar that you see in a lot of amazing pictures online. The caveat is that it is only open until 7pm-ish so you can't have dinner here, which is a good thing because the mosquitos will eat you alive!

We truly loved our stay here and people are so friendly. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any room here.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

There are not enough words to do this resort justice, it's perfectly idyllic and tranquil setting is just the beginning of a truly wonderful, heavenly holiday. After a long journey from the UK, your stay really starts with a speed boat trip from Krabi Pier to the resort, the friendly warm welcome and lovely orientation as you make your way to your traditional house is topped by the accommodation itself with its fine traditional and beautifully crafted decor and all the extras you can imagine including flip flops, slippers, a woven basket to carry to the pool/beach, razors, toiletries, candles, drinking water, fresh coffee and biscotti, fruit... The lush tropical setting with high limestone cliff formations and a choice of pristine beaches could be enough but it doesn't stop there with a breathtaking view from the pool out to sea and multiple activity options really makes this a special place. We went elephant riding and mangrove kayaking during our weeks stay both trips exhilarating in different ways and with first class service from booking right through to delivering us back to the resort. With a first class Spa, some of the massage is not for the faint hearted (may have been better not to say firm when asked how much pressure we like) but the experience was soooooo relaxing it forced us to visit 3 times in a week. The dining was equally as special, with lots of options and the best Thai cuisine we've ever tasted. What makes this resort extra special is the staff, never in all our travels have we experienced such amazing, polite, friendly, attentive and utterly charming staff, nothing is too much trouble for them. Rayavadee is by far the most unique, relaxing and blissful holiday we've had and we will be back.

Room Tip: Even the most basic rooms/houses are perfectly located, peaceful and private.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Samantha_Carl
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Due to the cost of the resort, I read many reviews to see if it was worth staying at a place in a country where everything else is so inexpensive. And while I hate spending money, and after staying at this resort, I didn't really end up caring too much about the price as its as close to paradise as I've been.

But to address some of the more common complaints:

Are there longtail boats? Yes, but they're all over Thailand. We don't have those in the States so I appreciate differences. Does it smell...er kind of but not all the time and certainly not near the rooms. I wouldn't hang out on Railay during the day. I found Phra Nang to be more relaxed during daytime. The beaches are deserted until maybe 10:30 and then after 17:00 so I didn't think they were that big of a deal. Are the beaches private? No, they're not but you're staying at a resort that is right on two of the Tripadvisor top 10 beaches in Asia. If you don't want to share, go to Europe or the U.S. where you can more easily buy exclusivity. Does everyone speak perfect English? No. If you don't like it, maybe stay at a Hilton or...God forbid, learn Thai. Is it big? Yes, but that is what makes it unique. I can go to Mexico or Florida anytime and find one of those hotels. I can't however, stay in a tropical jungle/coconut plantation so I actually appreciated the layout. You need a map and the paths are marked "M1" and "M2". I sometimes got confused but I was on vacation so its not like I had anywhere to go. Are there enough choices for breakfast? Yes. Most definitely and everything is fantastic. If you can't find what you want at the buffet, you can order off their breakfast menu (waffles, eggs, sausage, Thai dishes).

And my take on the hotel:

Everything is fantastic. The rooms are tastefully done. Sometimes places can get too fancy and everything looks like a garish mess. That's not the case here. The bed is comfortable, the air conditioning works, water pressure is good, two televisions, two bathrooms, complimentary cookies, beer, chocolate, water

Although the food was relatively expensive, it was always satisfying. Some of the other places on Railay we found to be mediocre and we left underwhelmed but not at Rayavadee. We did not eat at their fancy restaurant. Only the Grotto, the breakfast place and the restaurant on Railay Beach by the pool.

The beaches in the early morning and later afternoon around sunset are spectacular (when most of the other tourists and longboats have either not arrived or have got back from where they came). You can swim, watch the sunset and sea kayak in paradise.

We took a boat excursion with the hotel and while it was maybe 5 times the price of the regular exursions to Phi Phi, Mosquito, Bamboo Island, there were only 6 of us as opposed to the 25-50 the woman at the other tour shop told us about. I saw a boat unload and there must have been 30 people pop out. We were always comfortable on our tour and had a tasty lunch on a deserted beach. The tour guides were nice too.

Everyone we encountered there was so kind and helpful. If I were to ever open a hotel, I would want my staff to visit Rayavadee (and the La Residence d' Angkor in Siem Reap) to see what service should be like. Everyone was great.

Writing more would just reiterate what so many people have already written.

The only thing I thought was lacking was the nighttime excitement. Not necessarily the hotel's fault but if you're looking for a lot of nightlife, Railay doesn't have it - which may or may not be good depending on the person.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank pacomcnacho
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Just had to write this revue.It was some 16 years ago my husband and l stayed here.We have been all around the world,but never have l been so excited,or ever felt so lucky as when we arrived. at The Rayavadee Pavilion.l will remember the holiday for the rest of my life.Our room was fabulous,monkeys waking us up as they played on our roof.The Thai Restaurant to die for.Also how the staff decorated the cave on the beach for dinner....it was magic!!doesn't come any better anywhere in the world,nothing will ever change my mind,and believe me l am very well travelled.My husband and l would love to return,me at 67 and my dear husband is 70 in October,so time is of the essence.Fingers crossed,one never knows....??Thank You again,l shall never forget that tractor/boat trip,and how we laughed.....bye Paradise....

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank susiecusie47
Jaipur, India
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I'll start by saying I'm a big fan of Thailand. The Thai culture is one of the most welcoming and charming of the world. Their sense of welcome and hospitality cannot be matched. The beauty of the people is matched only by the beauty of their country.

This said, after many years, I've seen many properties in the Southern Part of Thailand. Specifically the islands around Phuket and Krabi and all in between. There are literally hundreds if not a thousand different choices and we've stayed from the highest to the lowest.

On this years trip, ( we are creatures of habit and tend to revisit properties we like ) we decided to experience one old haunt and two new ones. We selected Rayavadee Resort on the recommendation of a friend. We were not disappointed.

From the minute you arrive, the reception by the staff is always a precursor to the final experience and I knew right away we were in for a treat. The place is too good... you can get sucked into the property itself, the rooms are really cool and lots to keep you inside, but venture out and you will find one of the finest pools in all of Thailand. Great food and views... the grounds are excellently kept.....

I will say Rayavedee is not a place to go if you want to snorkel and do a lot of swimming. It's about relaxation. There are some wonderful out of property businesses just down the beach, and we did venture out for some rock climbing and cliff diving.... but really, what I discovered is this property is about spoiling your time with relaxing dinners, nice pool swimming, a bit of rock climbing and massage and pampering.

I would say for those going to Thailand who have the time.... and are more of the adventurous types... hit the islands like Phi Phi for snorkeling and diving .... and a "raw" experience of Thailand and end your trip in a place like Rayavadee ... for the last few days....to give yourself a final relax before the trip ends...

To the staff of Rayavadee..... KUDOS... you guys know how to run an truly 5+++ Star experience. even in "off-season" ... we found no faults ... other than we wish we could have stayed a month.... or more....

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back of the property ... closer to the infinity pool .... it's worth the wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kwaystep
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights during our honeymoon. While it is much pricier than everything else we saw during our trip to Thailand, they certainly take great care of their guests and the attention to detail makes it all worth it. Since it was our honeymoon, champagne was waiting for us and they even came back to our room while we were at dinner and drew a bath for us and filled it with orchids. Turn-down service and a very stealthy room service crew make you feel pampered. Very good food at the Grotto and we had a great time watching the monkeys that share their home with the resort guests. Every staff member we encounterd was gracious and eager to help. If you're looking for 5-star treatment in Krabi, we would highly recommend Rayavadee.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kyle m
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stunning location, great lodges, perfect for families. Wide choice of food. Great pool and bar service. Only drawback is that the beaches are very busy with other hotels as well as day trip boats. Excursions are many and varied. Best recommend would be the katakana trip to the mangroves.

Room Tip: There are lodges literally 10m from the beech or pool. Be careful though if the hotel next door is h...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Amari Vogue Krabi
#3 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Rayavadee Resort? Share your experiences!