“Average at best” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Ellesmere Port
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

After the dilemas of picking accom in railay and reading all the reviews for the hotels we were very surprised that the hotel was average at best and not what we expected.

Before saying anything to bad I would like to say a few positives about it.

The hotel is on the east some de of the island which really isnt a problem as it is close to the restaurants of east railay and is only a five minute stroll to the west beach.

The hotel gardens are nice and kept in good condition.

Thats is about it really. As for the negatives.

We had booked to stay in one of the recently renervaed rooms and upon arrival initialy looked pritty nice but then soon seen had bad of a job had been done. The tile grout hadn't been cleaned off the new tiles so it looked like there was a layer of cement brushed over all of the tiles, the air conditioning unit was hanging off the wall (literally). The glass window between the bedroom and the bathroom was smashed, there was no hot water so we called for a maintance man to check it out so firstly he started playing with the exposed electrical wires underneath the bathroom sink then he held his hand under the shower for about 10 minutes untill the water was hot. The water was now hot but the pressure was so bad you would struglle to fill a bucket with it never mind have a shower. Then I jumped on the bed and could of broke a bone as it was like jumping on a conrete block.

The restaurant and reception area had a real proplem with fly's and I wouldn't say it is just because of the area as we didnt have this problem with any other restaurants we visited.

We went for a swim and we were not impressed by the pool. Didnt bother us too much as we were not in railay to spend time by the pool but it was a pool made with lino instead of tiles (plastic sheeting). The seal had failed so the water was underneath the plastic therefore the floor of the pool was more like walking on a bouncy castle.

Anyway rant over I just wouldn't stay here again and found many other resorts looked a lot nicer.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tombromfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

This is my seventh year visiting Railay, and the first one not in either the Railay Bay or the Railay Princess. I abandoned the ageing Princess last year. Renovations are underway now, so maybe I will be back.

This year I chose the Sunrise Tropical, based on the reviews from TripAdvisor. I booked a Junior Villa, but got upgraded to their Deluxe one, which is meant to be their best room, so I am reviewing the room as if I had paid for the most expensive room in their hotel.

The review is overall positive. The Sunrise Tropical is clearly a couple of notches above the Princess, and perhaps better than the Railay Bay, although it has been a while since I stayed there.

The basics:

Location: location is really not an issue in Railay, despite what several reviewers will say. There are two sides to the place: east and west. West has the nice beach, East doesn't, but it has more restaurant options, and it is where you go walking to Pranang beach. Even the slowest person on earh with walk from the Sunrise Tropical (east side) to Railay West in 7 minutes.

The grounds of the hotel are surprisingly big. They managed to laid the villas out in a way that ensures some level of privacy for each cottage.

The room is large and comfortable. With a huge king bed, two “day beds”, and all the standard amenities (kettle, fridge, free water, and a wi-fi that works most of the time). The bathroom is also very large, with an outside shower, and an inside bathroom and toilet. The outside shower is not everyone's idea of fun, but it does it for me. It is always a nice reminder that I am on vacations.

The service is really good: I got my room cleaned and done while at breakfast. Very efficient. And for those who are obsessed with smiles, the people were are very polite and smiling all the time, and also offer help with my luggage (which seems to be another hot item on TA reviews).

The transport from the Krabi airport was slightly late, but it worked well. You pay a lot if booking through the hotel, but then you get a private van and a private boat -- no wasted time waiting for the 8 people to fill the long boat.

Breakfast is very typical: buffet with pastries, fruits, one lonely guy to make omelettes, rice, chicken sausage, etc. If you have seen one, you have seen all.

Standard of hotels in Railay are normally lower than the rest of Thailand, so the finishing is not ideal. I could upload pictures of exposed wires, or a hole in a wall where the main switch is, or complain about the weird control of all lights (only from such switch), but I don't think it is fair with the hotel. Neither the management nor the employees (who work hard and go home on a long boat at 11pm every day) have much to do with the way the wiring is finished. I only say this here because if that is the kind of thing that destroys your vacation, be warned.

The pool area could use some work. The pool is small, which in itself is no problem, but it is not tiled: It is essentially made of plastic, and feels like a very big cheap bathtub. I don't care to much about pools in Railay, but still, there are times when you want to relax away from the beach, and this one does not feel that inviting.

Tips:
A couple of things that we all must know about Railay:
1. There are lots of mosquitos. It is even worse at the Sunrise Tropical, because of the layout of the vilas, and all the gardens around you. As anything else in life, you have two options: one is to write a bad review, as if mosquitos were the hotel fault. The other is to buy a pack of spirals for THB 30, and burn one in the bathroom every night. Problem solved.
2. Along the same line, when it rains heavily in the afternoon, the sinks in the hotel will emanate a very bad smell. Again two options: complain, or spend another THB 30, get a pack of incense, and burn a couple of sticks. Problem solved again.

Overall, I would recommend the Sunrise Tropical - it fully deserves its current status on TA.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jcn_uk
Colmar, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

It was truely the best hotel we had in Thailand! And we were really happy that we decided to change location from Phi Phi Don to Ao Nang.

The area is magnificent, there havent been thousands of people like on Phi Phi and the resort itself was paradising! We had a tropical Chalet which appeared to have very big and clean room with a small terrace. It was also mordern, with 2 TVs, living room, a big bathroom and even a separated corner to stock all the luggage (which we found very convinient!).

The tropical garden around the hotel area was amazing. You can spend lots of time walking around trying to take pics of some animals that are freely running there. The pool was also very nice with noone around during all the time we stayed there, so it was almost our private pool.

The staff was very nice and helpful. Breakfast was the best from all we had before in Thailand.

It was only 5 mins walk from west railey with an amazing sunsets and swimming possibilities and 7 mins walk from the famous princess cave.

We loved our stay at Sunrise Tropical Resort and the only thing we still regret now is that we didn't spend more time there!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank didichamp
hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

Very nice hotel.We stayed in a chalet room,was very clean and well maintained.A lovely big shower room,beautifully mosaic tiled,and seperate loo and wash basin.
Dressing gowns,slippers,toiletries,safe and fridge,kingsize bed,and single.
Breakfast catered for everyone,good choice.
While we we there the monkeys were throwing mangos out of the mango tree outside our room,most entertaining.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Railey.

Room Tip: We stayed in the chalet room which we were more than pleased with.The villas looked beautiful.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed there in January 2012 and again in February 2013 and I still think it's a great place to stay at Railay Beach.

For those of you who are not familiar with Railay, there is Railay West facing a sandy beach and Railay East facing a mangrove swamp which is dry over 500 feet at low tide. There's also Tonsai Beach and Pranang Cave Beach which is the most beautiful beach of the region. The Sunrise Tropical Resort is on Railay East (the mangrove swamp). But that shouldn't deter you from staying here as the other beaches are only a few minutes away by foot.

Both times, I had a room in the Tropical Chalay (the two-storey building next to the reception and the pool). Those rooms are very big. Each of them has a queen-size bed, a sofa, a TV, a minibar, and a wardrobe with a safe, bathrobes and umbrellas. The bathroom is also very big and has a bathtub and separate shower stall with a rain shower head (low water pressure however). Each room also has its own private balcony. And the air conditioning is quiet. All in all, the rooms are very clean, comfortable and soundproof.

The staff is very welcoming and friendly at all times. The on-site restaurant serves good food as well (and they serve alcohol compared to some other places who don't because of the Muslim religion - southern Thailand has many Muslims). The pool is quite small and a little bit outdated though.

All in all, this resort offers probably the best value at Railay Beach. I recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mario D
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Loved this hotel...one of my favourite in Thailand! My only regret is that I didn't spend more time in Railay.

The location is fantastic - less than a 10 minute walk to either West Railay beach or Phra Nang beach. About 5 minutes from the restaurants and bars on East Railay.

Our room was large with a comfortable king sized bed and the bathroom was huge with a separate tub and shower. Everything was clean as well, the staff were always friendly, and there was a great selection for breakfast (including an omelette station). Although there was construction at the hotel next door, I never heard any noise and it didn't impact our hotel stay at all.

My only issue was that our room seemed to have mosquitos in it and although we killed a few before bed, I woke up one morning with several bits on my face (I should mention that mosquitos seem to love me and my husband didn't have a single bite). However, friends of ours who were staying next door didn't have this problem at all. We might have just been unlucky.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travellers_Checklist
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

I travelled to the Sunrise Tropical resort, with my Girlfriend in January 2013. We spent 3 nights there and really enjoyed the hotel, and Railey beach.

We arrived at Railey beach, on the afternoon ferry from Phi Phi. Getting to the hotel wasn’t the easiest as no one was at the West Beach ferry drop to meet us. This was my fault really as I forgot to email arrival details in advance. It was probably a 5 min walk from the West beach, to the hotel. Luckily a helpful hotel worker from another hotel (based on the west beach) could see we were struggling with luggage and helped us with his trolley. He made 100 baht, and saved us the hassle. We were all happy!

On arrival at the hotel, check in was easy and quick. The hotel porter quickly transported our luggage to our room. We were booked into a one bedroom villa. He showed us around the villa, and it was really nice. Spacious, spotlessly clean, huge bed. Nice bathroom with a good shower area. Separate dressing area. Safe in wardrobe, free wifi, TV, aircon, lovely balcony looking into the tropical garden grounds of hotel. We were really, really impressed with it.

The pool area at the hotel is nice, but due to trees and buildings, a lot of the sun beds appeared to be in the shade for quite a lot of the day. The pool itself was very cool, just what’s needed when the temperatures get a bit much!

The hotel serve a very good breakfast which is inclusive of the room price, it has many hot items, as well as fresh eggs, fruits, pastries, cereals, yoghurts and juices.

The location is great, its located next to Railey east beach, which isn’t a swimming beach at all. In fact, it’s more a muddy mangrove which does smell a bit at certain points of the day depending on the tide. However, don’t let this put you off. You have 2 great beaches within a 10 min walk. Also, all the main restaurants, and bars are located on the East side, plus, I believe it’s cheaper for accommodation on the east beach.

A must do whilst in Railey, is take a walk to Phra Nang cave & beach. There is a lot of rock climbing going on here which is pretty cool to watch, the scenery is stunning with huge lime stone cliffs, and the beach is up there with the best I have seen in Thailand. I don’t think there is much in the way of snorkelling here, so that lets it down if that’s what you want. Personally, I felt Railey was much nicer than Phi Phi, it is much calmer and more chilled, but with enough to keep you entertained for a few nights.

There is a small walking street that links the East & West beaches. There are a few small shops, and restaurants here, but all of the main action is found bordering the East beach.

The only negative we experienced at this hotel, was construction noise. We were advised that there would be construction happening at a neighbouring site. When we made the booking, we were told it was due to finish in November 2012. It was still on going in late January 2013, and after speaking with reception they think it will go on until April 2013. There is a small sign at reception saying affected rooms get a discounted rate. Our villa didn’t qualify for this rate, however after the first night when construction kept us awake until 2am we complained at reception. We were given a refund so as we paid the discounted rate for affected rooms. This was more than a satisfactory resolution, the construction noise was minimal at night and didn’t prevent any further sleep. It was a little annoying if sat by the pool, but we spent most of our time away from the hotel so were not overly troubled. Might be worth bearing in mind if travelling with young children though.

Overall, we had a fantastic stay at the Sunrise tropical resort, and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who is thinking of visiting Railey.

Room Tip: We had a villa, was really nice and not much more money.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,961 reviews
Bhu Nga Thani Resort and Spa
Bhu Nga Thani Resort and Spa
#3 of 13 in Railay Beach

Been to Sunrise Tropical Resort? Share your experiences!