“Lovely Hotel Shame about the staff”

Railay Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Railay beach is beautiful and the hotel is perfectly situated. You can walk form Railay West to East in a few minutes. And a further five minutes to Phra Nang Cave beach. The East beach is not really a beach but a mangrove so the west and cave beaches are the places to go. The beaches can be quite busy during the day if all of the day trip boats arrive at once. Later in the day it gets quite which is lovely.

The hotel is very well appointed and the room we had was lovely with our own private area with a Spa Bath. It was clean and very nicely furnished.

Breakfast was quite good and seemed to be of a quality expected for a hotel of this type. We ate there in the evening once. It is perfectly fine but the are other hotels and restaurants that are cheaper and have a better menu. The waiting staff were never very friendly or helpful, but this seems to be a reoccurring theme.

Our stay here was a special treat for our wedding anniversary so I had spent quite a bit more than usual to get exactly what we wanted. On arriving it was dis organised chaos. There were lots of people waiting to be shown to their rooms and a number of people making complaints. There was a number of staff walking up and down but not doing anything. One guest had to actually grab a member of staff to shown his family to there room. After 15 minutes we just went to our room and let ourselves in.

On that first night there was a major rain storm, the water that poured off of the roof filled the spa bath with filthy brown water. This would not be a issue but the button that drained the bath only drained an inch of water before it poured half an inch back in with even more dirty water. My wife reported this to reception at midday and no one came to look at the bath for us. That evening we went to reception to complain but were told there was no management available until the morning. We explained the issue to reception and they sent a member of staff to have a look. When we returned to the room the bath was over flowing as the taps had been left running, this had partially flooded our outside area and the bath was still full of dirty brown water.

The following day before breakfast we checked out and again were told that there was no management available for us to talk too. Once we checked out we were offered a change of room which was totally pointless at this stage. The room we stayed in had a main feature which was the bath and for this we paid a premium. If we didn't have the bath we could have stayed in an equally nice room for alot less money. At all parts of our stay we felt the staff just didn't really seem to care and they either didn't have a good grasp of english or were using this as a reason not help people.

This is an amazingly situated hotel on a beautiful beach. This is our fourth visit to Thailand staying at everything from 5 star hotels to $15 a night hostels and we have never found this attitude from any hotel staff. I emailed the hotel to complain but unsurprisingly haven't received any reply from the hotel. This ruined this part of our holiday, fortunately the other hotels we stayed at in Thailand renewed our faith.

I gave this review an average rating as the location of the hotel is so amazing. But there do seem to be alot of reviews with issues with the staff.

1  Thank wilkinspaul99
There are newer reviews for Railay Bay Resort & Spa

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We only ate at their restaurant so unfortunately I cannot comment on the accomodation. We had been eating at our hotel restaurant but found alcohol to bring in really expensive so decided to try a new place. The service to start was horrible. Nobody came for a long time and would ignore us after signalling for a while. We finally ordered cocktails which never came and only after our meal. Now I love Thai food and eat it all around the world. I had been eating great Thai food in Chiang Mai and Bangkok but had the worst Thai food i have ever eaten in Thailand at the Railay Bay Resort. It was 100 percent westernised with almost like a tomato ketchup sauce as the base. It tasted out of a can. And worse it cost more than my Thai takeaway in Sydney. I just couldn't help to not write a review as it got me really upset that this place completely rips off tourists. We went to koh Lanta the next day and at amazing meals again.

1  Thank babana
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Despite all the poor reviews for this hotel, we decided to give it a go. Not too many options if you want to be in Railay West! The Beach did not disappoint us at all, it is simply stunning. The fact that it is only accessible by tailboat makes it really special, in the nature, far away from traffic, pollution etc. We were concerned we might be isolated but not at all, there are plenty of shops, restaurants to choose from. Na Phrang beach is a lovely 10min walk away, plus you can do kayaking, rock climbing, and book 1 day excursions very easily to the Phi Phi islands, etc.

As regards the hotel, it is by far the worse from all the bookings we have done in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. At our arrival, someone clearlly had a nap in our room right before......room has been cleaned but bed was undone with TV remote control on bed. Another day we had no towels. I also found the guy at the towel pool desk taking a nap underneath the desk. Lots of mistakes for a 4 stars hotel that denote poor hotel management. Staff is not properly trained either. Very few speak English. Service is slow. But do not let all these facts spoil your stay in Railay Beach. Bay resort is superbly located, hotel surroundings are beautiful, pools are nice, rooms are large and confortable (bathrooms might need a bit of an update), food at the restaurant is good. Enjoy it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank EAL2013
Reviewed 22 April 2014

After thorough research I decided to book Railay Bay beach resort hotel for. 7 nights b&b.
Check in is 2pm so when arriving at 11.45 I had a bit of a wait. Had a bit of over priced lunch at the hotel restaurants. Then menu is pretty dire & over priced as well as their English is very poor. I spoke to three different waiters before my bill turned up.

2pm arrived...off on the golf cart to the East side where our room was waiting. Pretty basic, but I kinda expected this at it is Thailand. But £100 a night?...
No netting for mossier, shower hose leaked everywhere, beds were like sleeping on the floor, got charged for drinking two bottles of water even though in the 7 days didn't open the fridge. TV is a 14"?? Do they still make them? No point telling reception as their English is worse than a new born babies.

Wifi was pretty good & so was the two pools & beach. Beach towels are provided at two points near the pools.

Nice supermarket on site. & not too pricey.

Would I return? Probably not for. 7 nights, for 2 may be. But in a privacy villa. Railay Bay us beautiful but there are nicer hotels.

Room Tip: Privacy villas.
1  Thank Mr T
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was here for a few days in November - it was a really lovely place to stay. The little apartment we stayed in was fantastic (although I needed a trail of breadcrumbs to find my way back there after a couple of drinks on the beach - the place is a little bit of a maze!) - I was in a lovely twin room with a friend. The bathroom was massive and had a great shower but - WARNING - the glass door between the bedroom and the bathroom may look misted at first, but it barely hides anything!!! You can see through it pretty easily and as the shower is right by the bathroom door, you get a bit more intimately acquainted with your room-buddy than you might have been planning on (snigger)!

I've seen some pretty bad reviews about this resort's food and service - but I thought both were great!! Service was really friendly and fast (I had my cocktails in my hand within minutes of ordering at the pool bar!) and the food was delish, with a beautiful view right on the beach. Also, I had lost my iPhone charger when I got there, and they were great about letting me charge my phone at the front desk using their charger - really friendly and helpful.

The only downside was the movie rental section - we got quite excited about a night in with Superman, only to find out that the cost of rental was more than it would cost us to buy the stupid film!! So - don't bother with that. Otherwise, fantastic!!

Oh, PS - also, I went out to enjoy a cocktail, cigarette and a good book one evening, by the little hot-tub in our courtyard - and got bit to hell!!!! DO NOT CHILL OUT THERE AT NIGHT!! Unless you've eaten a ton of tabasco (ha ha - watch the advert!)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was my second time at Railay Bay Resort and Spa. We had a privacy cottage and found this quite adequate. We needed an extra bed which they brought to our room. I was a little disappointed by the reception staff when we arrived as I got the impression that they did not have our booking (I'd booked it 4 months in advance). Most of the staff were friendly although I found when I was here in the low season the staff were friendlier then. Breakfast was included in our tariff and there was quite a good selection although the toasting machines broken down on a couple of mornings. We ate lunch at the resort restaurant a couple of times and although it is more expensive than Railay East the food was very nice. We had booked the hotel transfer from Krabi airport when we arrived which was hassle free and also as we were flying out of Phuket the hotel transfer was an easy option (long tail boat to the beach then the hotel mini van to Phuket - 2 hrs). We loved coming back to our room each day to see the amazing sculptures made out of our towels...just beautiful! I would stay here again as it is quite central to everything at Railay Bay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Sitting in the middle of Railay Beach, this place has potential, in particular as the rooms are quite OK.

Let's start with the arrival. We came in from Krabi and landed on the East Beach. There was nobody there we could ask and we humped our suitcases for a good 500 meters to the reception. situated on the West Beach. Once we checked in, we found out that our cottage was actually the very first cottage on the East Beach and we could have saved ourselves a lot of walking if the resort would have some staff in attendance.

What was evident from the start was that the staff lacked any sort of training. Nobody smiled, nobody greeted guests, the service in the restaurant was non-evident and the staff that was there was busy cleaning her nose in the middle of the restaurant.

Every time we passed the reception, we overheard guests having arguments with the surly staff. I do not blame the staff per se, but the owner obviously rakes in enough cash and does not care about any sort of management; evidenced by a complete lack of responses to the Tripadvisor reviews.

The grounds have lots of rubbish lying around but seeing owner's, and manager's house, in the middle of the resort being a filthy ruin, I was not surprised. Somebody had spilled a coke all over the minibar, this was not cleaned during our entire stay. Coffee and tea in the room were refilled some days, not on others.

I would not return to this resort, to be honest.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the row 16. We had 1601 and it has so much traffic in front of it that we needed to k...
1  Thank hannostamm
#4 of 13 in Railay Beach
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach

Been to Railay Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!