“Railey Beach”

US$24.02*
and up
Phuket to Railay Beach by Ao Nang Princess Ferry
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Scenery stunning - shame about all the tourists (like us)! If you want a typical tourist beach holiday or climbing this will be good for you - if you want peace and quiet and less tourists you will need to look elsewhere

1  Thank andrewtracey_10
Write a ReviewReviews (4,731)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"railay"
in 636 reviews

Reviewed 18 December 2008

I am ending my 5-day stay at Railay Bay Spa & Resort. I have found it peaceful. Yes, there are some noisy long tail boats (they are restricted to certain parts of the beach and only travel during the day) but there are no motorcyles, tuk tuks, cars or trucks! It is a mixed bag who comes here, from wealthy jet-setters to backpackers and everyone pretty much co-exists here. I have found it very relaxing and would come again, particularly if given the choice between Krabi/Ao Nang and Railay.

4  Thank brownq8
Reviewed 11 April 2008

Railay has its good and bad. I found it to be a bit of a tourist trap, loud at times and a tad expensive (especially food on the West side). That said, the scenery is beautiful and the rock climbing particularly incredible. I would definitly recomend it for a short stay. I don't think you'll find many other places with so many activities. I highly reccomend checking out the evening snorkel tour. It's from 2pm - 8pm and was a highlight of my trip. There's a shop in the little mall are on Railay West. I also recommend breakfast at the restaraunt at the top of the hill in the highlands. It was more reasonably priced than elsewhere and had the best fruit lasses I've ever had. Also, we caught a long boat from the east side to Krabi town with very little difficulty. There was a guy standing there the whole time telling us to go to Ao Nang instead because no boat would ever come to take us to Krabi. Ignore anyone who says this. I'm pretty sure it's a scam perpetrated by competeing boat captains. Another thing, we stayed for relativly cheap in the highlands area and our room was nice. Unfortunately the noise from the Rock bar and a nearby electrical generator kept my girlfriend up all night. Not reccomended for light sleepers.

4  Thank koleeko
Reviewed 15 March 2008

We went to Tonsai and Railay Beaches from January 9th for 3 weeks, but we left after two because the noise from the long boats really got to me. We went to rock climb, and that was pretty good. The scenery was fantastic since the climbing is on the beach or on cliffs overlooking the water.

A huge problem, though, is the longboats. There are a lot of them taking tourists to islands or other beaches, and none of them use mufflers. So when you are on the beach or climbing on the rock, the sound of the longboats will give you a headache. It's as if 40 neighbors were all mowing their lawns at the same time.

I talked to one of the drivers, and he said if they put mufflers on it would slow the boats down too much.

So, before you go, make sure you are able to tune the noise out, or you go during low season.

The positives were the people we met were great (locals and tourists alike), the sunset snorkeling trip was awesome - we saw 5 sharks, the scuba diving near Phi Phi was pretty good, the mornings and evenings when the boats were running were peaceful and beautiful.

4  Thank jmw2
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 October 2007

I am in Rai Ley at the moment, and have found it a real disappointment after it had been talked up so much.

There is no East beach, just mud flats. And the only affordable accommodation is on the East beach.

The West beach is nice, but about 20min walk away, and it is covered in long boats going in and out which makes swimming, snorkelling difficult.

The snorkelling tour from here was really bad, just dead coral and few fish. Not nearly as good as near Phi Phi. There is no proper map of the island that is available here, and there is no nightlife to speak of.

There is also no regular transport back to Krabi (the town where the nearest airport is), so you just have to wait on the beach in the hope that 6 other people wanting to go to Krabi to turn up before you can leave, which makes it hard to catch flights at a set time. Overall, give it a miss unless you are mad for rock climbing...

7  Thank BillyStarr