“Great room and pool - questionable service”

Railay Village Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Sydney
“Great room and pool - questionable service”
Reviewed 19 March 2009

This is a very beautiful resort located on a very nice part of Railay. The pool room is spacious, and the swimming pool itself is amazing. It was always relaxing to go out onto the balcony, and read, look over the pool, or stare at the cliffs jutting out behind the resort. There are also a number of beautiful sights near the resort.

I believe it is possible for most people to enjoy their stay here, the proviso being their expectation must be qualified in view of the below.

1. Prices in this resort (with the exception of food prices) are generally much higher than in other resorts. These includes spa prices (exorbitant), prices in the convenient store on-site, laundry (the charge sheet in the room charges, per garment, more than what you would pay to wash a whole kg in Bangkok), and airport transfer. We explored the surrounding resorts and found that significantly cheaper services are rendered at adjacent resorts (no more than 1 or 2 min walk away!)

2. Prices on the main Railay beach are much more than prices found on e.g. Railay East - and the staff at the resort did not inform us of this fact. After being told that a day-hire rate a long-tail was 6000B, we were astounded to find that the same thing cost 2000B from Railay East which was 5 min away.

3. The staff generally do not speak English. The ones that speak some words of English did not appear to be able to offer us any assistance when we had a problem with the service. However what really frustrated us was that they did not seem to want to try and understand the issue. This being said, they were helpful in some instances, such as showing us the tours available, keeping our luggage in a secure area while we had breakfast after checking out, and providing me with an adapter (although it did not work). In all, while the service is sometimes alright, the level of service is generally not what one would experience in a nice hotel e.g. Sheraton or Westin.

4. The turndown service was -really- questionable. I am not sure if the sheets were changed at all. The towels certainly weren't. On the second day they 'replenished' the conditioner with a used bottle with a little bit of what looked like toilet paper stuck on it... ew..

5. Water in the room seemed to be filtered from sea-water, and leaves a nasty salty taste when you brush your teeth. Not sure if this is common to the resorts here because of the location.

6. Food (room service and restaurant) is quite alright here. The breakfast buffet is okay, but it certainly has some room for improvement.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Good points:
- beautiful hotel - pool villas are really amazing, pool is lovely...nice bed, really nicely decorated, BIG bathrooms with nice shower
- food in restaurant and room service was good and not ridiculously priced (relative to other places in railay)
- really nice pools
- lots of tours available
Downsides:
- Apathetic staff, who were unhelpful and rude at times, they don't speak a word of English. An example: I asked to do laundry and was told there was a price sheet in my room. So I filled it in, did my laundry and it came to about £20 (yes GBP). When I went to pay for my laundry, the receptionist thought I wanted to do some laundry and quoted me a price of 90 THB (about £1.50) for 1 kg. When I tried to ask why noone had told me, they didn't understand and didn't try to understand or even empathise. I thought Thailand was the land of smiles?! Not at Railay Village...
- Exorbitant spa prices - there is a small massage parlor 2 minutes along the beach which is much cheaper
- Receptionist gives the impression that housekeeping will steal - they insisted about 5 times when we were checking in that we should leave our valuables locked in the safe
- Towels were not replaced once (we stayed 4 nights)
- No hot water when we first got there - although this was fixed instantly when we asked about it
- Water in shower and taps is very salty
- Electricity cuts out at least twice a day at random times
- Balcony doors didn't close properly. This wasn't an issue until the downpours started on our last night and water leaked through into the room
- Staff (again!) didn't tell us that longtails on the other side of the island are 3 times cheaper than on Railay West!!! (a 5 minute walk away)
- Some of our complementary toiletries were dirty/had things floating in them...

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Hamburg
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Quite expensive but worth the money. Pool area is great, nice garden. We stayed in a spa villa which is huge with a nice outdoor tub. Very relaxing to sit in the tub and to watch a dvd on the nice flat screen TV. BTW Dvds for free to rent.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Railay village for 4 nights in Feb. We stayed in a spa villa which was quite nice, but that's where it ends. Like other reviews the front-end service and the buffet breakfast were terrible and also the people in this area of Thailand are not as friendly as the other areas we visited. This I can live with, but not getting money stolen out of our room safe. I had 3 different currencies and had approximately $250Cdn. missing. Who ever stole the money took some from each currency so it would go unnoticed. I reported this to the manager and he told me that this also happened to four other guests, he then told me to come back the next day and he would deal with it. When I returned next morning the manager wanted me to come back in the afternoon and confront the staff. Needless to say I was not going to this, especially in a foreign country. After telling the manager I wouldn't do this he asked me if everything was ok.
I believe that this must occur quite often because of the hotels remote location and lack of security.
Do yourself a favor and get the best of both worlds and stay in the town of Ao Nang and catch a 10-minute taxi boat to Phra Nang beach. This way you'll have some security and a beautiful beach.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach
Sand Sea Resort
Sand Sea Resort
#5 of 13 in Railay Beach

Been to Railay Village Resort? Share your experiences!