“WONDERFUL Three hour Lunch”

Al Gatto Nero Da Ruggero
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Burano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had been trying for a number of visits [over a nine year period] without reservations. This time we had one. It was the day of the regatta [June 8] and the water taxi schedules had been altered. It took us three hours to get there. After all that, we were treated like visiting royalty -- but I think everyone is treated that way. Freshly caught sea bream, cleaned brought to our table for inspection, served with fresh risotto, and sea urchin appetizers. Wine was out of this world. Hope to go back some day.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,600)

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Great food great service. . And on top of all.. great Max (the waiter)!!!!
Spaghetti with sea food and spaghetti with clams is the way to go!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were recommended Il Gatto Nero and arrived hot, tired, hungry and with no booking for lunch? But we asked nicely, were willing to wait and happy to sit wherever there was a place. Two chairs were brought out to the pavement, two glass of lovely Prossecco proffered and after 10 minutes people watching we were shown into the lovely, cool dining room. What followed was two hours of delicious pampering - their recommendations were outstanding, the portions generous, the house wine delicious and the waiter had caught our fish that morning! It was served beautifully and was enjoyed enormously. We drifted to the dock to catch the boat back to our accommodation and vowed to come back. This time we would book well in advance as to miss a chance to eat there again would be a terrible disappointment. Don't take that risk, book now, set aside two hours for a wonderful experience!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We popped in here for lunch after dealing with & avoiding the hardsell for a glass sculpture on Murano. The glass factory put a private boat at our disposal and the boat's captain recommended Al Gatto Nero. Upon entering, I had no clue that this place had any claim to fame. I fully admit that I had no idea that they wanted réservations (the boat driver hadn't mentioned such). We waited a few minutes outside, and when a table emptied, I approached waitstaff requesting a table. I was informed that without a reservation, I would need to go speak to someone Inside. We went inside, a gentleman came over, asked if we had a reservation, and stated that he would get us a table without one. The table ws Inside but without a reservation, I would hardly expect to walk in and get a more scenic table by the canal. Order of service was fine. Menus presented, drinks ordered, prosecco was served (although a nice touch, we don't drink around our children & sent it back). Bread, salad, main course. Salad is salad in Venice so there was nothing "special" there. My wife seemed to enjoy her seafood soup and the serving was more than ample. The kids shared the scampi pasta which went quickly, and I had the fried seafood platter which, while basic, was quite tasty and contained a nice mixture. Although Venitian restaurants tend to go a bit heavy on the squid/octopus for my personal liking, the shrimp was good, I was quite happy with the fish choices and the softshell crab topping it off was the highlight of the meal. Pity we didn't have time for desserts though my wife wasn't hungry enough anyways. The chef (owner?) actually came out and talked to the tables which I found nice. He even gave the kids lolipops before we left. Overall, I found it a pleasant enough experience that next time I find myself in Venice, I will make reservations well in advance for a canal side table and experiment a bit more with their offering.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Went to Al Gatto Nero with extremely high expectations, given the rave reviews on tripadvisor. However, we found it strange that all the other tables in the restaurant were served complimentarz prosecco upon being seated while my friend and I appeared to be ignored by the service staff. Perhaps it was our youthful appearance but we are both past 21 and above the drinking age. The acclaimed fish risotto was tasty and flavorful, and the portion was large. However, the frito misto (Assorted Fried Seafood) was average at best. The fish was generally tough and nothing as silky as what the other reviewers have reflected. I like to hope that this is an exception rather than the rule but hope that other visitors will be accord better service when they visit such an acclaimed place.