“Lidia in Burano and Schiavon in Murano”

Dalla Lidia Merletti d'Arte
Ranked #3 of 12 Shopping in Burano
More attraction details
Owner description: The company dalla Lidia Merletti d'Arte , stands out in its field for the quality of Lace , which are all handmade . In our boutique you can find all the household linen , tablecloths , centers , handkerchiefs , breakfast services , sheets , bedspreads , nightgowns .. We also made ​​women's clothing , as a child , starting from baptism. We want to offer our customers the best laces . The Shop is the oldest of Burano , and is the largest and most comprehensive in the world . you can see the lace-making and also try to do it !
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Manila, Philippines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Lidia in Burano and Schiavon in Murano”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

After shopping for a couple of very nice items in Schiavon, a store in Murano, the owner graciously offered to have us taken by her private boat to Burano where we were met by Nora who works for Lidia, a store owned by Paula and her son David. Burano as everyone knows is very well known for its lace and this particular store is famous for its hand made laces and the lace museum housed on the upper floor of the store where the most intricate lace designs and the most difficult of stitches manifest the skills that can belong only to a person who has mastered the craft of lace making. David and all his staff were very accomodating and patient with us, as we took our time to make our selections. Each item was explained to us in terms of the amount of time it took to complete the design, the different stitches used and how the nuances in dark and light shades were achieved by the varying distances between holes and stitches. Quite a feat really. Though the items were a bit pricey, David generously gave in to our request for a discount and a handkerchief as a gift came with it. Truly appreciated David. After our purchase we were escorted by Nora to a lovely restaurant where we were served the most delectable lobster cakes, pasta marinara with a sauce i have never tasted before and desserts to die for. I am not in the habit of writing reviews or sharing experiences from my trips but I have always loved Italy and Italians and David, Paula and Nora have become members of my unforgettable group of people. Visit 'Lidia' in Burano and Schiavon in Murano for beautiful best buys.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank MarifeMedina

Upton, Massachusetts
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beautiful Lace Tablecloth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was one of the best stops of our tour of Italy. We visited Burano to see the lovely island and had no plans to go shopping. Walking down the street, the shop caught my eye. I ventured inside to discover that this family run shop had it's own lace museum inside for free. Beautiful pieces! I went back out to find my family to share my discovery with them.

We visited the Lace Museum first which gave us the general understanding of the different techniques. The shop itself have hundreds of items on display. It also has a beautiful rendition of the last supper. The sales staff were very friendly explain anything you wanted to know but were NOT pushy sales people.

As we were looking, we knew we needed a new tablecloth for our dining room table. Just out our curiosity, we asked to see what they had. They showed us many different styles, sizes, and prices ranges. Again, without forcing us into a purchase. However, we fell in love with one of the tablecloths.

We worked with them for a great price and are now the proud owners of beautiful lace.

So, if you already know that you want to purchase beautiful lace from Burano, then go here.

If you know you just want to see examples of beautiful lace, then go here. But beware, it is so beautiful you may have to buy something. :)

One of the highlights of our trip. Thank you to everyone in the shop.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank TK_TripReview
Perugia, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“galleria del merletto antico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Very beautiful pieces of handmade work. We saw may items like beddings, table cloths, runners even bridle dresses. It was amazing, excellent place with a huge collection. Staff was multilingual and very gentle, all speak very good English specially Georgia. She has an excellent communication skills and above all a very pleasant smile. She explained us very well about the work .

Visited October 2013
2 Thank SWARAJ S
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Dalla Lidia merletti d'arte, Burano, Venice, Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

In September of this year, 2013, while in Venice, I signed up for a tour of this lace factory, on an island, outside of Venice, called Burano. I visited this FABULOUS lace shop/factory, in this stunning and colorful town, and marveled at not only the shop itself but all of the treasures that I found to be show cased inside this magical shop. ALL of the lace was hand done, and each piece of lace more beautiful than the one before. What first caught my eye, was this long piece of extravagant lace (like a table runner) laid out in the shop on a long counter for all to see. It was artwork of the 12 disciples at The Last Supper. You would have to go to their website, www.buranolace.it to see the pictures of the lace products that are made in this factory, as there are too many to mention in this review. Or you can send an email to: info@buranolace.it. I did not see, the The Last Supper pictured on the website. I explored the shop, talked to the employees, telling them of the out standing work and beauty that I viewed with each piece of lace. When I inquired about a few items that I was interested in purchasing, (2 items in particular), to give to my daughter and husband for a Christmas present, the employee asked if I would like to meet the artist who made, or was making the very products that I was interested in. She informed me that this very person was on the premises. I was astonished, delighted and thrilled that this employee even considered doing this for me!!! Of course, I said yes, and then this lovely employee went to the back of the shop (factory area) and brought Paola Toselli, the artist, out to meet me. As Paola and I talked, and I expressed my great interest in her talented work, she asked me if I would like to sit down beside her and actually show me how lace making was done. Of course, I said, yes. She's an amazing woman in every way!!! That she took time away, for what I am sure was a busy day for her, to actually meet me and show me how lace was stitched, one stitch at a time, meant a lot to me. I was hypnotized instantly! The art of lace making is very time consuming and very, very delegate work. This work can only be done by people who truly have patience AND have the love for doing this type of intricate work. Lace work is indeed amazing to see and for sure a work of art, a work of art that has been around for years, but I am sure a work that tourists/visitors do not see much of these day. I hope this precious commodity will continue for many years to come! I asked Paola if I could video her doing her work AND take some still pictures of her as well, with my iPhone, and she said yes, so I did!!!! Then, I had the pleasure of meeting her son, Davide Bressanello, who introduced himself to me AND offered his services to me, by taking videos of Paola (his Mom) as she continued to work on my piece of lace before it would be shipped. Talk about kindnesses given to me. I told him that I was appreciative of his offer and gesture but said that it would not be necessary for him to do, but he would not take "no" for an answer. And, to top this, Davide said he would enclose the videos, in the same box, with my lace work, and ship it ALL to me. The piece of lace that I ordered is called NATIVITA, and when completed, will have the picture of Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus on it. Paola said that the lace would not be ready, to be shipped to me in the USA, before Christmas. I understood. And, as the two of us laughed, talked,and shared conversations with one another, she never stopped stitching. And, all of a sudden, it was time for me to leave the shop, to catch the tour bus back to Venice. But, before I could leave, Paola pulled me aside and informed me that the Nativita would get to me by Christmas, as she would happily, diligently and faithfully work on the project until done!!!!! And, there is more. Since, September, Davide has been keeping me informed, AND sending photos, via email, of the Nativita and letting me know how far along the project is coming. For instance, he would write a message to me saying, "today she make the nose of Madonna, and when she finish she ask me if was fine, after a little discussion she decided to undo it and she make it again, now is perfect!!!" So, all of you who are reading this, please, if near Venice, take the time to go to Burano and visit this fine establishment, an establishment that has been there for years!!!!! You will not be sorry or regret it, I promise. And, the people who own/work in this shop/factory are also works of art!!! Not too many in the world like them! And, before I left, I ordered another piece of lace. Mary Alice Price

Visited September 2013
9 Thank Maryaliceprice
New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Perfect place for unique Italian lace!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We found a beautiful tablecloth for our new home! The staff couldn't have been nicer! Thank you to Giorgia for her patience and beautiful English!

Visited March 2013