“Nice stay with only a few shortcomings”

Georgia Palace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Kobuleti
Saint Julian's, Malta
“Nice stay with only a few shortcomings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

It's not my first time at the GPH. As I work in the eastern part of Georgia, I like to escape for a few days to the Black sea coast. The hotel is very nice, rooms are very spacious and clean. The pool area is lovely, but one have to "reserve a sun bed" by putting some garments on prior breakfast, otherwise it will be hard to find one. I do not mind the location, as my stay is entirely relaxing and I travel with my personal car, so if needed I can reach any place close by without problems. The parking is being improved and amplified. The breakfast is very good but I cannot say the same for the buffet dinner. For the price, the food quality is not good. The restaurant on the 6th floor has fantastic views and a superb setup, pity that the cooks were not able to cook salmon properly, which my wife had to send it back 3 times before serving it at an edible state. Reported balcony light not working on my first night- remained unfixed through my stay. The pool bar offers a good variety of snacks and drinks, however I do not expect to be served beer and cocktails, which are well priced, in a carton cup. As I called the manager he said that it is Hotel policy, but then it left me wonder why they were still serving the glass bottles and no glasses???? Apparently this rule does not apply all the time and to everyone!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Oli36

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

This hotel was an alternative choice when i couldn't get into a couple of hotels in Batumi. The hotel itself has nice grounds and its own beach area and a lovely pool. Rooms are spacious and have balconies. They had a decent breakfast buffet as well as a decent dinner buffet (did not try lunch). I am not Georgian but most of the people staying there appeared to be from Georgia. Staff were pleasant and the rooms were clean. I got a business rate that was very reasonable considering the location and half pension. My only complaint would be a rather hard mattress but i was jet lagged so it didn't really matter! Not at all a bad alternative to the higher end hotels of batumi.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Decoamie
Bloomfield, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

This place is overrated. It is not 5 star hotel by any means. First thing AC was not working. After we complained they send 3GL (cheap) champagne in our room. The matresses are cheap and not comfortable. The cleaning people at the pool have no clue what to do to not to disturb the guests. They start cleaning the pool area at 7 am, waking up everyone.
Staff at the desk isn't trained well, they had no clue what to do when I demanded partial refund for inconvenience (AC). They told as to wait for the manager (ha ha). If you ever get to this nice looking hotel, before you check in make sure they have AC working and mattresses aren't "eliava flee market" quality. Never spend my money for this place again... (food was ok).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Mikhail T
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

The hotel is quite new and clean with spacious rooms, nice and clean toilets and bath and a good garden which is well taken care of. The bars have various choices to offer but very expensive. slow services and unhelpful crew are the main disadvantages of this hotel. The breakfast was not bad at all with nice tables set but the variety of foods and dishes are not comparable at all with Turkey hotels. The pool was OK but the water was so cold for this time of year (July). The bar close to the pool was nice but as I said before quite expensive. The funny thing was that on a half board basis which we booked the hotel, we were told that the drinks are not included which was queer but we accepted it however they charged us 4 Laries (nearly 3 dollars) for the smallest bottle of coke I have ever seen in my life. The room service was very good the indoor pool and spa were both nice and I got a good massage from a Georgian lady there but my wife was not at all satisfied with her Indian masseuse. All in all it is good for a 2 to 3 days not more for you definitely get bored. The location of the hotel is terrible, about 20 km from Batumi where you may find some things to do

Room Tip: rooms with front see view are excellent and the double bedrooms are of two different sizes choose th...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Amookhteh
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I would like to start off by saying that this hotel is beautiful! It's clean, the rooms are big and airy, the décor is perfect. And I would consider staying there again, HOWEVER... the hotel needs to send their staff on human interaction lessons; the customer service was terrible. When checking in, the woman at reception out right called me a liar. I was meeting my boyfriend at the hotel. The receptionist didn't understand English and decided it was my fault she couldn't find my boyfriend's booking even though I gave her his name and room number 4 times!! So I called him (he was at work) and he spoke to her - at length - and eventually she sent me up, without a key *shakes head*.
Other things: The staff yell at the guests; the room service guys answer the phone like agitated teenagers with bad attitudes and you're disturbing them; the food is ok, make sure your omelette is cooked properly; only Georgians get instant poolside service (without asking); no wifi in the rooms, only cables - so tablet people... it's the lobby or pool side for you.
Georgians stare... fine! I get that but if I'm staying at a 5 star hotel, I expect the staff to be above that and not call over the buddies to also stare at me; this is highly unprofessional. When you do find the few staff members that actually have brains, are genuinely polite and pay attention, stick to them!!!

The gym is clean but only has 4 machines and a set of free weights. The yoga room is large and airy and the indoor pool is great (I didn't check out the sauna) - the plunge pool wasn't all that cold but hey... the scenery from the pool area makes up for it. The "beach" area is a bit small but well maintained.

What I loved:
The spa treatments on offer are wonderful. The spa area is huge! The dressing rooms are large, clean and secure; the atmosphere is nice and tranquil and the massage (and masseuse) was absolutely wonderful and worth the effort. I believe these guys should promote their spa more.

The area: The surrounding area in Kobuleti is sparse. There are a few traditional "restaurants" and a couple of little stores (you can't bring outside food nor drink into the hotel). The only "happening" place close by is Batumi; which is 30-40 mins by taxi or Minibus.

The place itself it amazing, if it weren't for the bad customer service I would've given this place 5 stars. In comparison - I stayed at the Penthouse Hotel in Tbilisi - cheap but the staff there are great people with impeccable customer service skills.

I hope that someone can relay this to the G.P.H. so they can improve their service as I'm sure more outsiders (not from the Caucasus region) will find this hotel. Hopefully they'll have a much better experience than we did.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cila M
Lyon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Everything is great in this hotel. Rooms are just gorgeous, especially the special beds, that were just exceptional. Food was just great, breakfast and dinner are awesome, there is a big variety of food. Service also were great, the pool is big enough and sun is on it all the day.
The design of the hotel is I really like, it is Italian. All the hotel is built by Italians. There is free wifi in every room.
Hotel has also a private beach with free chaise-longues, umbrellas and towels.
The prices are just fine for 5* hotel. I definitely recommend it. On of the best hotels in Adjara after Sheraton hotel(but that one is at a high price).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Luce V
Tbilisi, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I felt in love with the atmosphere of this hotel, the rooms like royal apartmnets, very nice looking and expensive furniture, with a great feeling of style and design, very polite and helpful staff, very friendly management of the hotel! Convenoient spa services, ayurveda centre! A nice sea view from the balconies of the rooms!!! the only negative point is that there is a limited selection of dishes in the restaurants and no shops available nearby with a decent selection of products, and no pharmacy nearby with a proper selection of staff necessary for a pharmacy!

Room Tip: A room with sea view would be very nice!Anyhow all the rooms are very beautifuk and have a balcony w...
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank taty16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kobuleti
Hotel Chveni Ezo
#2 of 41 in Batumi
Colosseum Marina Hotel
Colosseum Marina Hotel
#4 of 41 in Batumi

Been to Georgia Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!