“a wonderful few days”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wallingford, PA
“a wonderful few days”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

In my many trips to Grenada I've eaten at Le Phare Bleu a few times and always had a great dinner. So on a recent trip I decided to stay there for my few days in Grenada. Loved it! Best room layout and configuration of any of 6 hotels I've been to in Grenada. It was spacious, well-outfitted, and I loved the the open atmosphere where I could leave the multiple doors open to the spacious balcony. Felt like I was in a tree house. It was so relaxing sitting on the balcony, with the sea breezes, tree frogs sounding off, surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens. It's more like an apartment than a room, with a kitchen, living area and dining table. The breeze goes through easily - never needed to use the a.c and this was in August! My meals were as good as they have always been. I met the owners who were nice, friendly and welcoming, as was the rest of the staff.
There is a marina there, so you meet the sailors staying there (Grenada is a well-known destination for sailors.). One night a week there is a community dining table and you meet interesting people, both locals and ex-pats. So it's fun and comfortable if you are a solo traveler like I was, but I'd also go back with family, friends or my husband. They have a small store if you want to use your room's kitchen to make meals. But with the dining room overlooking the beautiful bay and a nearby island, I liked to have my meals in the restaurant. I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: I liked being on the second floor but the lower floors are right next to all the beautiful gardens s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mary H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

What can I say? A beautiful location, tranquil, gorgeous villas, friendly staff, good food and a great ambiance. Normally this should have an easy 5-star rating. But this time I just can't bring myself to awarding the top rating.

We came to Grenada after a fantastic sailing trip. We were on a high, and the arrival at Le Phare Bleu continued that feeling. The villas are really quite stunning - a beautiful design with lots of space. The first slight uneasy experience came at lunch. The food was delicious, but it took a very long time for the food to appear. Yes, we're not in a hurry, and this is the Caribbean, but still... The first real niggle started in the evening when the airco in the master bedroom didn't work. Someone came round and fixed it, but while we were sleeping it switched itself off, and it was too hot in the morning.

The second niggle came at breakfast. It wasn't busy, but it took almost an hour for breakfast to appear.

We were out all day, and I spend a large part of the evening trying to get the airco to work - it just wouldn't. Perhaps we should have mentioned it again, but I didn't really want to go and complain again at night and would go in the morning.

The next morning at breakfast we happened to sit next to the owners, and had a chat. When they left for, she apologised for the breakfast being late (after about 30 minutes). Well, it took another 45 minutes for a very poor breakfast to arrive. Really not acceptable by now.

I went to complain about the serving times and the airco. Several people came round trying to fix it. They kept saying it was fixed, yet it just wasn't.

In the evening there was a concert at the hotel. We had great fun. Another good meal as well (and although slow, I could understand because it was busy) But the airco still didn't work. More people appeared to try and fix it. Finally after I kept pointing out that contrary to their assertions it didn't work, we were offered a room in one of the other villas.

When I'm on holiday I want to chill and relax. I can take a few issues - travelling aroud you always get some. But when many things happen they reinforce each other and you find yourself being stressed and arguing with the hotel. That's not why I go on holiday, and that's not why choose a good and certainly not cheap hotel. But the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. A real pity.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Henkyyy
GrenadaStarfish, Front Office Manager at Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Thank you for your review and we are very sorry regarding the air conditioning malfunction and slow service you experienced in the restaurant. I was not aware that after the first fix the air conditioning was still giving trouble. I did check with you the following morning and you informed me that all was well. Alas it seems the malfunction came back. I can totally understand your level of frustration especially as it was very hot during your stay, that plus the slow service you experienced would also have annoyed me. I only wish the malfunction had not happened and that it had been corrected sooner or alternatively that another villa was offered. I am very concerned that you mention arguing with the hotel, I certainly hope that none of the staff at LPB argued with you. I was not on duty when you checked out and have only become aware that you had had this continued annoyance. I wish to explore these points further so will email you directly. It is certainly not our intention to upset any of our guests and am very disappointed that you left feeling the issues had not been resolved. I will email you, as mentioned earlier, directly so that we can at least offer a gesture of good will. Thank you for bringing your experience to my attention and I will be in touch soon.

Kind regards
Lynn
Grenada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Just got back from another wonderful stay, not really sure how many times we have stayed at this hotel now, but it never fails to disappoint, only gets better with each visit.

Le Phare Bleu is a beautiful elegant boutique hotel, yet still relaxed and set in the most amazing tropical gardens over looking Calivigny Island. The villas and the apartments, (we have stayed in both) are just beautiful. We just love sitting on the balcony in the evening with a glass of wine and listening to the tree frogs.

There are two restaurants, we love the Lightship restaurant as we love to sit on top of the boat and look out to sea and have cocktails early evening. The main restaurant has a brilliant pizza night and the seared tuna on their menu is my favourite.
They also have a happy hour which has a lovely atmosphere as people come in off their yachts and people finishing work and holiday makers and you get to meet some interesting people. And where else in the world would you get six beers in a bucket for £5.00. Also on a Saturday night they have really good local singers and bands and also the owner plays such brilliant music.

Would recommend hiring a car to see beautiful Grenada.

The owners and staff make you feel very welcome and go out of their way to make sure everything is right for you. Thank you Le Phare Bleu for another wonderful relaxing holiday, will be booking our next trip soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chiffy26
London
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

We happened to come across this place while driving around the island. WOW! The view was incredible, surroundings and restaurant so beautiful, the perfect lunch place.

I had the seared tuna with tapenade and sautéed potatoes. Absolutely delicious. I could very easily spend the whole day sitting there looking out onto the bay. Recommended!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank cs95aam
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This is our first time visiting the Caribean and we had the honor of being guests at this wonderful resort. We had a beach villa, which was very spacious and clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful; i felt right at home! We had dinner at the pool bar a couple of times and once on the Vaadstra boat. I would recommend this resort to everyone. Its a little peace of paradise!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Llai
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This is a review about LPB but why Grenada? - beautiful, hilly, lush and tropical Grenada. It is the most beautiful island I have been to. Where do you start looking for a winter holiday when you have the scope of the internet and the whole world to choose from?! Perchance, I googled 'unspoilt Caribbean islands' and up popped Grenada - safe, friendly people and undeveloped, beautiful beaches (including the unbelievably wild Levera Beach in the north and La Sagesse), rainforest with wild monkeys, pretty St Georges Carenage, and delicious food (far better than other more fashionable resorts in the BVI etc.) I would add great climate in the Caribbean - not too hot as heat cooled by trade winds unlike other parts of the world. Why Le Phare Bleu as there are other great hotels in Grenada? Well, we came here last year and had a perfect holiday so decided to come again. Great unspoilt position, lovely cottages, restaurant on beach/floating boat restaurant and so on (read the other reviews) but LPB has just a lovely warm atmosphere - the owners are there, around and about early in the morning (Deiter followed around by his friendly dogs Daisy and Henry) checking everything is right - their heart in it and that's what makes the difference - you will be relaxed because they are relaxed and genuinely enjoying running their lovely boutique hotel and this is what makes the difference between privately owned and company owned hotels. Lynn, the manager, lives up to all that has been said about her in previous reviews. She is so helpful and will do her best to make sure everything is done to make your holiday very special.
I miss my delicious breakfast in the Poolbar overlooking the beach - idyllic with the sound of the waves on the beach. They also play great music compilations (not loud just perfect). We mixed eating in the hotel either at the Poolbar - excellent menu (live music on Saturdays) and fine dining on the Lighthouse Restaurant with eating out in the numerous great restaurants nearby such as Whisper Cove Marina/Beach House, (plus point Grenada very safe compared to other islands). Hire a car and have fun exploring too!

Room Tip: Stayed in the appartment - great
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank melg0
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We've had a perfect holiday.
Our beach villa was a peaceful and well-appointed home for our 10 days in Grenada. The veranda looked out onto the gardens, beach, sea and boats, but we had the peace and quiet that we wanted.
We had two or three local days - reading, swimming in the sea, and lying in the sun - but also used the hotel as a base for exploring Grenada. It was a 15 minue drive into St George Town, and everywhere on the island is in easy reach. Among other plaes, we explored Grand Etang, Concorde Falls and Mount St Catherine.
The owners and staff were welcoming, and always both friendly and efficient. The bar was a great place to sit and look out to sea, and the food was lovely - as was the rum punch. The hotel helped with car hire and a visiting maseuse; we used the hotel kayaks and - with help - the Hoby Cat; and Dieter gave us a tour of the bay and a trip to the bar on Hog Island.

Room Tip: The beach villa was worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel &...
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
#3 of 11 in Grand Anse

Been to Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!