I think Le Phare Bleu is the first hotel I've stayed at where the website photos of the property and villas appear exactly as they are. The owners, Yana and Dieter have gone to great lengths to ensure an experience that is beyond expectation. The villas are massive, inviting modern spaces with an open concept approach--you can leave the villa doors wide open! Our morning routine quickly became this: grabbing hot nutmeg-laced coffee from The Deck and returning to our balcony to take in the hummingbird activity around our villa.
Each villa is equipped with a full kitchen, fridge (with freezer and ice maker), kettle, stove and oven--for the ambitious. Though, the smell of curry (don't miss out on the chicken roti) and baking pizzas (2 for 1 on Tuesdays) will lure you over to the restaurant sooner than later.
The property is a distance from the main road (close to 2 kilometers to the bus stop) on a hilly, perfumed stretch where, for the amibitious, punishing morning runs will be rewarded with the sweet smells of the isle: nutmeg, coriander and thyme. There is little traffic on the road, so, walking or running this route is tranquil and completely safe.
The Le Phare Bleu property is hard to leave--though we managed to part for a day to check out nearby Grand Anse Beach. However, the privacy and solitude found poolside or at Le Phare's beach is unmatched. Happy Hour has killer deals---buckets of beer (six Carib or Stag) for $24 EC ($12 Canadian). The pina coladas and pain killers (not part of happy hour) are well worth the paralyzing amounts of rum that ignite them.
The staff are quick to please and genuine ambassadors of Grenada. Tom and Lindy were consistently jovial and customer service driven. The hotel manager, Lynn, was equally efficient and conscientious about making sure our stay was superior.
Though the beachfront proper is short, walking along the pier to check out the yachts was on the daily itinerary. Marina guests and yachties were fun to chat with--and on Wednesdays Le Phare hosts a "Friendship Table" at the Deck restaurant where you can mingle with hotel guests and sailors, to hear tall tales of ocean navigation. On a tamer scale, the hotel has two kayaks and two Hobie cats and snorkelling gear for guests.
You won't be disappointed with a stay at Le Phare. It's plush and posh. Don't be surprised when you fall asleep and awake 10 hours later because the mattresses are like sleeping on clouds! And, to fall asleep to an orchestra of frogs is really what dreams are made of.
Local soap and shower amenties that smell exactly like key lime pie are provided, and a homemade oregano oil mosquito repellant--in addition to jugs of milk and juice on your arrival. The water in the fridge is filtered and a mini-market on the property sells beer, spirits, wine, snacks and addictive rum & raisin ice cream.
Conveniently, Le Phare also has an on-site chiropractor and massage services (on your villa balcony) available. And, on Thursdays there is a fresh fruit market where you can purchase sorrel, starfruit, papaya and guava juice.
The unique feature of Le Phare is that Dieter indulges in his musical roots (having owned a music school previously) by hosting local musicians and travelling bands like Canada's Madison Violet (who introduced us to the hotel on a VIP package that included two performances, a Hog Island tour, day excursion and accommodations). Check out footage of the 15th dinghy concert (dinghyconcerts.com) that are exactly that--a concert on the water.
Really, there is no excuse to leave Le Phare. But, when you do, it's only 20 minutes to the airport.
Thank you to Yana and Dieter for sharing your secret sanctuary with us! It was the best place to recalibrate and escape this madness we call winter in Canada.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Phare Bleu truly is a unique property that centres around the historic Lighthouse Ship and is located in Calivigny Bay. Just fifteen minutes from the international airport this exclusive, waterfront property offers a tremendously high level of comfort in the self contained beach villas and apartments. The friendly service mixed with the restaurants & bar, mini market, swimming pool, watersports and very safe beach, makes Le Phare Bleu a great place for relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, West Indies, Hotel.de and Priceline so you can book your Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Phare Bleu Marina And Resort
- Le Phare Bleu Marina Hotel Petite Calivigny Bay
- Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & Marina Grenada/Petite Calivigny