“Hugely Disappointing!!!!”
Review of Exeter Court Hotel

Exeter Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kennford
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My husband and I have been to many hotels in Exeter as our we have family based here so decided to try a different hotel for a change. Exeter Court had some good reviews and at first glance seemed reasonably priced.

We were greeted by a friendly staff member and given direction to our room which we were told was one of the best they had. Overall we were very happy with the quality of the room and in fact booked two extra nights.

On our first evening in the hotel my husband didn't fancy anything on the restaurant menu so decided to order something from the bar menu.

My husband went for steak and chips and I went for fish and chips. Food appeared to be cooked well until half way through the meal I found what appeared to be a flat piece of plastic in my fish.
I took the plastic up to the bar to alert a member staff who just said 'oh dear' removing the plate and disappeared to the kitchen.

About 5 minutes had passed and the same staff member returned stating that the chef had tried to burn the misc item which didn't melt so it 'must' be a bone. She explained the chef had offered some chips or salad or a complimentary desert. However I was not offered my fish back, nor did they offer to replace the fish. The reason given for this was that I had apparently eaten too much of my meal!

I was unsure of what to do as all I had wanted to do was finish my meal, I clearly explained this saying "all I want to do is finish my meal", however I was still not given this option. I felt as though my meal had been confiscated, which left me feeling particularly child-like.

Trying to make the best out of an uncomfortable situation, I decided to move on from the fish! I opted for some trifle (an old favourite) but asked if it was possible to have a scoop of ice cream on the side, as this is how I like it! She said she would go and check. A different member of staff came back with the trifle after a wait. I noticed there was no ice-cream so explained that this was complimentary and had ordered the scoop. He said he would go and find out and returned stating that the chef said that the ice-cream would be 50 pence charge!!

I couldn't believe that after having my meal confiscated for eating too much, I was then not allowed to have a scoop of ice-cream with my complimentary desert unless I paid for it. However, this is not my understanding of complimentary. To be honest at this point, I felt upset and the waiter blunt said he "couldn't see the problem". This spoilt the whole night. When I initially ordered my £8-£9 fish meal at no point did I consider that I would be denied the opportunity to finish it.

Eventually I asked to speak to the manager, who after the whole fiasco then offered me a fish!!! I had just had pudding!!!! She agreed that she could not understand why I had not been offered a replacement fish (or even my fish back) after finding the misc item.

I feel that in my whole experience of going to restaurants/ bars/ hotels I have never received such poor customer service.

Anyway to conclude a long story, my husband and I cancelled two extra nights we initially booked. We did get the money back for the meal, however it was never about the money, we were away on holiday in the mind set that we were very happy to spend money. There was no attempt to make amends regarding this cancellation, instead we were told to 'move forward'. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone due to inadequate staffing and management.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amanda g

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stayed for one night on 2/7. Had to be near the racecourse for an early start. Nice food, friendly staff, comfortable bed and quiet room. The standard double is not huge, but I think you can pay a little more for a larger room. Paid £65 b&b for one person.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Good value, small room that was damp and smelt musty. When repacking clothes they were damp and then creased in the case and had to be ironed at our next stop. Very good breakfast, freshly cooked. We ate at nearby Ley Arms pub, good food. Hotel was easy to fined and convenient for overnight stay on our way to Cornwall but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013

A one night stay over cannot fault it. Light lunch good value for money, dinner excellent and breakfast excellent.

The Room was clean and the bed was so comfortable best nights sleep in many years. Could do with air con as cannot open window very much to let in fresh air /

Room Tip: All rooms seem all the same
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Was a little unsure when I booked in for a one night stay having read previous reviews of this hotel. But I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this place.

Although the rooms are a little small (If I was staying for a few nights this may have been an issue) they have everythign that you need for a one night stay whilst in the area on business. The access is brilliant and straight off/on the main road. The breakfast wasnt half bad either.

But I can't complain one jot about this place. The staff were very helpful and friendly and theres plenty of parking too! Not a bad view out the back of the hotel either!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights, very clean and comfortable room and hotel. Had evening meal our first night in their restaurant which was excellent. Would stay again, good value for money. Only downside the service in restaurant at our first breakfast rather slow, felt we had been forgotten.

Room Tip: Asked for quiet room at time of booking and we were allocated a very quiet one, very pleased.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This hotel is really convenient if you want a quick stop-over but is hardly a classy place, a romantic venue or haute cuisine destination. It is just off the A38 south of Exeter and very easy to find.

There is tons of parking, a fuel station right in front - and a nice bar. The exterior area is poor if the weather is nice and you would like to sit outside for a drink. Picnic tables on a soulless concrete patio. Motel rather than hotel.

If you stay here you can head for the Ley Arms in Kenn which is a 2 minute drive or 10 minute walk from this hotel down a country lane. The Ley Arms is in a beautiful tiny village, serves great food and real ales: and has a decent garden. And the barmaid is totally gorgeous.

At the Exeter Court Hotel, food is suspiciously fast - prepared well in advance. Breakfast was dried up and not special. Supper was cheap, delivered minutes after I ordered, and was adequate at best. If I was paying myself I would have been disappointed. I saw a well-heeled German couple enter the dining room and order supper and I wanted to jump in and say "NO! Go down the road to The Ley Arms! That is the real English experience!" But I knew they would think I was mad. So I watched their growing disillusionment as they experienced 'British' cuisine. The best a microwave can offer.

I got talking to a guy in the bar: I mentioned the lovely pub nearby and he said "Oh - I have been coming here for years and I have never explored the local area!" He sits in the bar all night. Living the dream! I got on google and within minutes checked out the local area.

The hotel room was very small but again - adequate. The bed was very comfortable indeed, one of the best I have experienced. Firm enough but not too firm, soft enough without being unsupportive. Goldilocks would have been very happy with it.

Service at the bar was sporadic: they did a good impression of being deaf and blind: you needed to really make your presence known in order to get served. Professional blindness and deafness is a really annoying trait in bar staff. Shout at them and wave your arms, if necessary.

I did manage to somehow lock myself out of my room, late at night (NEVER put those flaming electronic access key cards anywhere near your mobile phone as it wipes them clean!!) and the place was in darkness. I called the number from my phone (thinking I was in for a night sleeping in the car) and the guy came out and let me into me room. That was good service, great service as he must have been in his bunk and snoozing. For that they deserve an extra star.

Needs must - but choose somewhere else if it's a special occasion.

Room Tip: Not much in it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennford
Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel
#3 of 31 in Exeter
Jurys Inn Exeter
Jurys Inn Exeter
#9 of 31 in Exeter

Been to Exeter Court Hotel? Share your experiences!