“The American Motel experience, English style”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Exeter Court Hotel

Exeter Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kennford
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“The American Motel experience, English style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel whilst travelling on business to Exeter. I chose it because it is conveniently located, and looked good on the website. I liked the idea of being able to park pretty much next to my room, and it looked different to the usual business hotel. Also, the menu in the restaurant looked interesting, but in the end I chose to eat at the pub next door. I booked an extra large room, which made me wonder how big the standard room was, because it was adequate but not generously proportioned.

The bed was comfortable, with a good quality mattress and I slept well (despite the people talking loudly in the room next door at 2.00 am - the walls are very thin!). The TV was adequate and overall, the room was acceptable, reasonably clean and comfortable. It also had a central light which gave good illumination should I have chosen to work. So many hotels provide ill-thought out lighting, with wall lights, standard lamps but no overhead light fitting.

I couldn't get the free WiFi to work at all, but it is there and my colleague managed to connect so it may have been my fault.

The bathroom was probably one of the smallest I have ever come across, but was fairly clean and the shower was adequate if not particularly forceful. White sanitary ware would have been preferable to the rather dated pale avocado suite, but I am being picky...however, the soap and shampoo provided did not inspire confidence, being the cheapest you can get, I expect.

An iron and ironing board was available and necessary because my shirt needed pressing.

Breakfast was excellent; I ordered two poached eggs, bacon tomato and hash brown. It was all freshly cooked, well-presented and high quality. All too often hotels provide quite unpleasant bacon, which has poor texture and no flavour; I am happy to report that this is not the case here. The coffee was good too, and a generous buffet spread available in addition. Service was prompt and efficient as well as friendly and polite. The reception staff were good-humoured and chatty, and it was good value. If I go back to Exeter (which is likely) I will return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Spend the extra £10 and go for the 'extra large' room. Especially if you have a tendency to...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 1nv1ctaH0g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Tunbridge wells
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was looking forward to this 2 night stay with my two children and husband. The pics of this hotel make it look smart. I was shocked by the strong smell of damp when I opened the room door. Room 42. We discovered it was the shower curtain. Then looked at the broken and loose tiles around the sink and hair in the bath and for the first time in my life I called reception and asked to change rooms. They did find us another room which was better. However still shocked by the amount of dust everywhere we coped with it as we had important things to attend to in Exeter and knew that most places were fully booked.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 42. Room 58 wasn't much better. Think they have these two family rooms any...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

My wife and I stayed for three days whilst visiting relatives. We were drawn to the hotel primarily due to the price. What a surprise, advertised as 3 star but could very easily with a small upgrade in some parts be a 4 star.
The staff were excellent, friendly and attentive. The hotel is very clean and presentable. Food was excellent. Very convenient for Exeter and the South coast.
Our only concerns were. 1, The mattress needs replacing but was adequate for a 3 Star. 2. The breakfast sausages were locally sourced. Too much herb filling. Would really have liked plain god quality pork sausages.

Apart from that no complaints what so ever. Well done, excellent value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

When places like this are around. ...I do question my travelodge fascination.

Location is spot on if you're exploring exeter. As you know I would normally advocate a travelodge....but Exeter court trumps travelodge...and at the same sort if money too.

Breakfast was superb too....

I didn't dine there in the evening so I couldn't comment.

But if you're in the exeter area...passing through going south or back up the m5...try it!

• Stayed August 2013
U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed at the hotel 26th-28th July as part of a large family group for a wedding reception that was held there. The foyer and all public areas were spotless and the welcome we received from the staff was wonderful. Over the weekend, they did not disappoint, as nothing was too much trouble for them and they helped make it an unforgettable event.
The rooms were clean, if a little small and the bathroom pretty basic and showing some wear and tear. But we didn't pay the earth, after all and everything was serviceable. Like a previous reviewer, I found the room extremely hot, but after some fiddling, managed to open the window wider to let some air in.
The food for the wedding breakfast and the evening buffet was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. The vanilla pannacotta with mango and ginger compote was to die for! The waiting staff were a joy, especially as we had a lot of young children in the group and they were very patient and smiled their way through the whole event.
There was a good selection of juices and cereals at breakfast and the hot portion of the meal was served very promptly and was very good. All the children in the party were enthralled by the large fish tank in the restaurant and it kept them quiet all through the meal!
All in all, a very enjoyable and extremely good value for money stay and the only thing that keeps me from awarding top marks is the tired bathroom and difficulty in cooling the room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Camborne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

The Foyer was lovely, the staff were efficient.
The room was average.
The bathroom was ancient, tiny and noisy.
The lamps were positively disgusting!
The breakfast was OK.
It was extremely hot overnight and the bedroom window didn't open far enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Falmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Having stayed at this hotel for the past 18 months, what more can I say but fantastic. Fantastic value for money. Staff are first rate, the food has always been great. The rooms are clean and tidy with very comfortable beds. I have stayed in nearly all the rooms and not one has been a let down.

Thank you for looking after me and I will miss you all very much. When I'm next in Exeter staying, I will make this my first port of call.

Cheers Tim

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennford
Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel
#6 of 31 in Exeter
Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel
Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel
Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge

Been to Exeter Court Hotel? Share your experiences!