“A rather tired hotel!”

Exeter Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kennford
“A rather tired hotel!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We spent one night here and it didn't really live up to expectations. The good points were:

Great location, just off the M5.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
Our room was basically clean although the bathroom was slightly less so.

The bad points were:

Our 'large room', that we'd paid extra for, was no bigger than the average Travelodge room and we'd assumed (obviously incorrectly) that a bed in a 'large room' would be king size but it was just a standard double. The mattress was also rock hard and very uncomfortable.

The bathroom was very tired with an unappealing old off-white suite and cracked tiles that had definitely seen better days. The 'luxury toiletries' advertised on the web site turned out to be two cheap slivers of soap in plastic wrappers and an empty Dove dispenser on the wall.

The cooked breakfasts seemed ok but I like a continental style breakfast and choice here was severely limited. There were three large open bowls of cheap cereal, a pile of long-life strawberry yogurts (no other flavours available) and bread for toast. Surely there should be extras such as croissants, muffins, fresh fruit etc? Would also be nice to see veggie options on the cooked menu, such as Quorn sausages or Vegebacon.

In summary, a hotel with a convenient location and nice staff but it needs considerable updating before I'd consider returning to it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Good things about the hotel included:
1. Nice and cosy looking rooms, however small,
2. Good power shower,
3. Toiletries provided: soap, shower cap along with Dove shower/shampoo gel,
4. Tea and coffee making facilities (Nescafe coffee, milk, tea and sugar) with welcome packs of biscuits; replenished daily,
5. Good free parking,
6. Free wi-fi.
Little annoyances:
1. Plumbing: everytime somebody (even one of your neighbours) uses the sink/shower/toilet, the pipes go mad and noisy which woke me up twice in one night,
2. The noisiest bathroom fan I've ever experienced - was that a helicopter? I went to the toilet with my phone light just to avoid waking up my partner with the automatic fan,
3. Curtains seem thick and heavy, and yet they do not block the light out at all. I slept with my (clean) pants over my eyes from dawn on,
4. Red microscopic splatters on the bathroom wall next to the toilet bowl which suggest blood not being cleaned off,
I'm not sure if those problems affect all the rooms, thought. It's a shame because the room was lovely otherwise, but if you're a light sleeper like me, you will have a problem. I would have slept 1-2 hours longer each time if all those nuisances hadn't affected me.
Breakfast:
Full English, porridge (freshly cooked while you wait), tea and coffee (ordered), cereal, mixed fruit salad, juices, yoghurt. Not much choice but enough to stuff yourself and not eat until 6pm.

Camborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Staff were so helpful and friendly,even emailed me a copy of the childrens menu when we booked and when i phoned with a query they were very helpful. Bedding and towels were spotless and the room was clean. The bathroom could do with some updating but it was clean,the shower was fantastic,i was very impressed!!
We had dinner in the restaurant on the Sunday (roast) which was excellent and the childrens food looked good as well,breakfast was also very good,lots of choice for continental and cooked.
Would definatley consider staying again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel whilst travelling on business to Exeter. I chose it because it is conveniently located, and looked good on the website. I liked the idea of being able to park pretty much next to my room, and it looked different to the usual business hotel. Also, the menu in the restaurant looked interesting, but in the end I chose to eat at the pub next door. I booked an extra large room, which made me wonder how big the standard room was, because it was adequate but not generously proportioned.

The bed was comfortable, with a good quality mattress and I slept well (despite the people talking loudly in the room next door at 2.00 am - the walls are very thin!). The TV was adequate and overall, the room was acceptable, reasonably clean and comfortable. It also had a central light which gave good illumination should I have chosen to work. So many hotels provide ill-thought out lighting, with wall lights, standard lamps but no overhead light fitting.

I couldn't get the free WiFi to work at all, but it is there and my colleague managed to connect so it may have been my fault.

The bathroom was probably one of the smallest I have ever come across, but was fairly clean and the shower was adequate if not particularly forceful. White sanitary ware would have been preferable to the rather dated pale avocado suite, but I am being picky...however, the soap and shampoo provided did not inspire confidence, being the cheapest you can get, I expect.

An iron and ironing board was available and necessary because my shirt needed pressing.

Breakfast was excellent; I ordered two poached eggs, bacon tomato and hash brown. It was all freshly cooked, well-presented and high quality. All too often hotels provide quite unpleasant bacon, which has poor texture and no flavour; I am happy to report that this is not the case here. The coffee was good too, and a generous buffet spread available in addition. Service was prompt and efficient as well as friendly and polite. The reception staff were good-humoured and chatty, and it was good value. If I go back to Exeter (which is likely) I will return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Spend the extra £10 and go for the 'extra large' room. Especially if you have a tendency to...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 1nv1ctaH0g
Tunbridge wells
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was looking forward to this 2 night stay with my two children and husband. The pics of this hotel make it look smart. I was shocked by the strong smell of damp when I opened the room door. Room 42. We discovered it was the shower curtain. Then looked at the broken and loose tiles around the sink and hair in the bath and for the first time in my life I called reception and asked to change rooms. They did find us another room which was better. However still shocked by the amount of dust everywhere we coped with it as we had important things to attend to in Exeter and knew that most places were fully booked.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 42. Room 58 wasn't much better. Think they have these two family rooms any...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My wife and I stayed for three days whilst visiting relatives. We were drawn to the hotel primarily due to the price. What a surprise, advertised as 3 star but could very easily with a small upgrade in some parts be a 4 star.
The staff were excellent, friendly and attentive. The hotel is very clean and presentable. Food was excellent. Very convenient for Exeter and the South coast.
Our only concerns were. 1, The mattress needs replacing but was adequate for a 3 Star. 2. The breakfast sausages were locally sourced. Too much herb filling. Would really have liked plain god quality pork sausages.

Apart from that no complaints what so ever. Well done, excellent value for money.

Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

When places like this are around. ...I do question my travelodge fascination.

Location is spot on if you're exploring exeter. As you know I would normally advocate a travelodge....but Exeter court trumps travelodge...and at the same sort if money too.

Breakfast was superb too....

I didn't dine there in the evening so I couldn't comment.

But if you're in the exeter area...passing through going south or back up the m5...try it!

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennford
Holiday Inn Express Exeter
#3 of 31 in Exeter
Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel
Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel

Been to Exeter Court Hotel? Share your experiences!