“Oh dear! What a difference 3 years make!”
Review of Park Farm Hotel

Park Farm Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hethersett
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Oh dear! What a difference 3 years make!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I had stayed at The Park Farm Hotel before, 3 years ago, and had nothing but praise for it; but what a difference this time!
I was travelling alone and was given a room (No 4) that overlooked the back of the hotel and it must have been above the kitchen (?). Anyway there was a constant 'buzz' from a generator, or something similar that actually stopped at 10:30 pm; but restarted at 05:00am!!
The evening meal in the restaurant was good, if not a bit pricey - especially as I was charged for two people! Having sorted that out, I was then charged again the following morning when checking out!!
Having said all that, the Leisure Facilities were excellent and the pool and steam room were very welcome after a long day in traffic jams.

Room Tip: Avoid room 4!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bob C C
Park Farm Count... h, Front Office Manager at Park Farm Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
We appreciate your honest feedback after your recent break away.

I am disappointed to read that you saw a decline in the quality of your stay and surprised to hear of the buzzing noise you encountered in room 4.

We are aware of some issues regarding customer bills and currently have all of our new service staff in an intensive training programme to iron out any of these niggles.

I am pleased to see that you found our leisure facilities excellent and may I take this opportunity to apologise for our shortcomings on this occasion.

We do hope we have the pleasure of your company soon and I would welcome you contacting me directly should you be staying in the area again.

Michael Bannister

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel room:
Dated room at the back which had seen better days (probably in the 80s). Beds very uncomfortable with big dips, kids roll out bed at £15 a night was awful with bars running through it - felt ripped off.

I stay a minimum and pay for 4* hotels for the extras that should bring but this hotel didn't - no robes or slippers, no mini bar, had a powerless shower, noisy hall ways morning and late night.

Leisure centre:
Old enough to remember the Brittas Empire well this is it - pool was cold (two consecutive days), changing room dirty and sauna was mild!

Food:
We had bar food and it was interesting - kids menu was basic and over priced (around £6 for one course) and it was fried everything! The adults meals had a good selection but nothing special very like a Harvester but not priced like that. Drink was at London prices and again an average selection.

Breakfast was ok again not a 4* range of options- an ok hot effort but expertly rationed by the staff who serve the buffet.

Overall:
Average 3* hotel no way a 4* rating which needs to be updated with more than a clean - an investment is the only way. Average at around £130 a night plus extra for kids is way over priced for what wouldn't look out of place on the side of a motorway. I wonder how it is 4.5 on Tripadvisor but I guess that is the opinion of the people who stay there who I would say are not accustomed to 4* hotels.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Park Farm Count... h, Front Office Manager at Park Farm Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Sean we appreciate you taking the time to leave us your thoughts after your recent break away with us.

I was extremely disheartened to read your negative comments regarding nearly all aspects of your stay, and would take this opportunity to offer our thoughts below.

Leisure centre:
I must highlight the pool temperature is regularly monitored and kept within the recommend guideline temperatures, but we will ensure your points are given to our leisure team. As part of our ongoing refurbishment programme the changing rooms are currently being updated. Our leisure centre has over 1000 members who are very happy with the facilities, and I would disagree that it is comparable to the Brittas Empire. We will of course as always take note of your comments.

Hotel room:
All of our family rooms have recently been updated with new throws, sofa beds and a number of other furnishings. These are often our most popular room type with the doors opening onto their own patio and with outside furniture. The setup of the room is explained to guests when booking but I can only apologise if you felt the extra bed for your children was not suitable.

Food:
I am surprised you found no positives from your dining experience. After taking a look at the children's menu, I would agree there is a number of fried dishes, such as scampi, chicken nuggets etc. These do tend to be very popular with children. I must however highlight that the menu does come complete with the options of a roast dinner, lasagne, pasta dishes and the choice of a half portion of the adults menu, which essentially gives a choice of 20+ dishes.

Breakfast:
Breakfast to us is one of the most important times of the day. It is one of the last memories a guest has of their stay and it is paramount to us that they leave feeling relaxed and well prepared for the day ahead. Our breakfast buffet is served by our waiting staff to ensure that guests do not burn themselves and it also mirrors the 4 star service we offer throughout the rest of the hotel. The breakfast is in no way rationed, and should a guest want more they need only ask. If this was not clearly evident it may be something we need to communicate better to our customers.

Park Farm Hotel is continually re-investing in the hotel facilities, with 6 more bedrooms being refurbished this year alone, and plans to re-imagine Tumbrils apartment, we would say the investment never stops.

With over 450 reviews from a mixture of guests many of which are very familiar with 4 star hotel standards I would say our high rating is justified. Our Rosette awarded restaurant, countryside location, spa and leisure facilities are just a few of the features that we feel sets us apart from a hotel on the side of the motorway.

Please accept my apologies that you left us feeling disappointed with your stay and rest assured your feedback shall be used by the management team constructively and to ensure that the standard of hospitality we aim to offer all our guests continually improves.

Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from an overnight stay at. Park Farm Hotel.the main reasons for choosing Park Parm was:
1)The rooms all looked lovely,modern,clean lines, nicely decorated and minimalistic( just my taste,I hate old fashioned.
2)It had leisure facilities ,swimming pool etc.
3)We got married there a few years ago and we loved it then and wanted to return.
Evertthing about the hotel was still lovely, the pool and spa,our steaks in the bar were delicious and the breakfast was great and so were all the staff.
My only gripe( and boy what a big one this is)was the room we had.Room27(avoid if possible).I walked in and my word were"OH MY GOD".
Where do I start,old fashioned,out dated,dark, dismal and in desperate need of a refurb.Faded thick curtains,well used furniture,which was all chipped and a mish mash of colours.Pink curtains,one pink chair and two beige ones,yellow/fawn carpet and to top the lot an old blue bedspread that had seen better days with a pale pink blanket underneath (not even a quilt).
Obviously this room is due an upgrade and we drew the short straw,but to think I had paid £127 to stay here for the night.For goodness sake Park Farm,if you have to let this room then do it at a reduced rate.
The room( which is the most important part of my stay a hotel) was defiantly NOT the room which I had booked( a superior double)if the glowing photos on the internet are anything to go by and I am very disappointed about the whole experience
I

Room Tip: Avoid room 27if possible
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alison S
Alison thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am happy to see that overall you enjoyed your stay however I was disappointed to read your comments regarding room 27.

Many customers find the traditionally styled bedrooms in the barn conversion a real highlight of their stay but it always depends on customer preference.

I would highlight that when making your hotel booking through a 3rd party agent such as you did, it is not always as clear on their websites what it is you are booking. All images displayed online are a representative of the room type booked and do not necessarily indicate the exact room you will be allocated. I would recommend calling any hotel directly to ensure you are given the exact type of bedroom you want to stay in.

We trust you are enjoying married life and would like to offer our apologies you did not leave us feeling 100% happy with your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this matter further or should you wish to stay again.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at park farm for a couple of nights, we booked a few days before as a last minute thing. I used the flash sale for one night and just added a normal nights stay on to it. I have got to say that for what we paid you really do get a lot for your money. From the moment we turned up the staff were very welcoming and helpful. We had room 27, which was nice, however there was a crack in one of the balcony doors and a bees nest at the other door so we couldn't keep the doors open and it was lovely weather. I went to reception and told them of the situation, mainly because I hate bees and wasps! They were very helpful and didn't think twice of moving us. They gave us room 22 a honeymoon suite apparently. It was huge, 4 poster bed, lounge area, massive modern bathroom with a walk I'm shower and jacuzzi bath. One of the best rooms I've stayed in.
Breakfast both days was very good, great selection for what's included in your stay from a full English to pastries and cereals, there are other options as well but for an extra cost. Dinner was lovely in the hotel, we ate in there one night. The food was presented very well and tasted amazing, I've never had so many different flavours on one plate. The only thing we thought is that the meals could have been hotter.
The leisure facilities were also great, nice pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam and gym. We had a massage with the imagine spa, which was very good the therapist found knots in my back that I didn't even know I had! And on the website there is a 25% off voucher which is worth showing them.
There isn't a lot in Hethersett really only two pubs, we ate in the queens head which was good. There is a waitrose just about 2 miles away and then the town of Wymondham which is nice but not a lot there. We went to norwich one day which is only about 15-20 mins so the hotel is ideally placed.
We would stay at this hotel again for a break away, the hotel should be happy for what they have achieved!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Park Farm Count... h, Guest Relations Manager at Park Farm Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for leaving such a positive review after your recent two night stay with us here at Park Farm Hotel. I am pleased to read that you managed to take advantage of our Flash Sale which was extremely popular.

Further to your comments about Room 27, we are aware of the bees that are outside the balcony doors; these are Mortar Bees which are harmless unless squeezed! They do nest in the brickwork every spring yet we are hesitant to evacuate them from their home as they don't seem to cause too much trouble and they aren't the biggest party animals so would have been a quiet neighbour to have during your stay :-) It's lovely to read that the room you were moved to was one of the best rooms you have ever stayed in. This was Room 22 our newly refurbished Honeymoon Suite.

Many thanks for your kind words regarding the Breakfast and Dinner you had during your stay. I would just like to comment that at breakfast we don't charge any extra for other items, it is all included in the Bed & Breakfast charge, so apologies if this was unclear to you. We have passed your comments about the temperature of your evening meal onto the Head Chef who will take this on board.

Once again thank you for your glowing review and great photos you have posted to share your experience with current and future guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Park Farm Hotel in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We booked this at very short notice and if was much better and offered much more than we expected. Swimming pool was very good clean and warm and free to use for guests including children (children up to 6pm). Food pretty good, staff very helpful

Room Tip: Find time for a Spa treatment at reasonable prices. Pleasant gardens, ground floor rooms open from p...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Park Farm Count... h, Guest Relations Manager at Park Farm Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review after your recent stay with us here at Park Farm Hotel.

I am pleased to read that your stay was much more than what you expected. We appreciate all guest feedback and I have passed your kind words on to show our staff that all their hard work is truly noted.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights courtesy of our Tesco club card points. We decided to upgrade our room at last minute. It was an excellent room on the ground floor with doors that opened onto a small grasses area with our own table & chairs. This was lovely as the weather was so nice I enjoyed an hour sat outside in the sun. The only down side was that there was some ground work being carried out just outside our window and the noise & smell of petrol from the chain saw was a little disappointing but unavoidable as I'm sure the work needed to be carried out at some point.

The room was clean, well equipped and the enormous bed very comfortable.

We enjoyed an evening meal the first night and found both that and breakfast each morning very good. The waitresses and waiters were all very helpful, polite and attentive.

It was probably not our usual choice for a hotel as it seemed at a glance to cater for a lot of seminars, conferences and business people. But we had a brilliant room, excellent service and very nice food.

Would recommend it to others.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hertfordshirejo
Thank you for your lovely review after your recent break with us here at Park Farm Hotel.

I am pleased to see that you were able to enjoy the lovely sunshine on your patio area. A lot of our ground floor rooms have their own patio area for this very reason which is always a bonus when the sun is shining. We have on-going refurbishment work at Park Farm to maintain and improve different aspects of the hotel but please accept my apologies this mildly disturbed your stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Me and my partner have stayed many nights at Park Farm. We wouldn't stay anywhere else now. The staff are very friendly and helpful the place is very very clean from top to bottom. We have never had a problem and will continue to have our date nights at Park Farm x

• Stayed April 2014
Wow, what a fantastic review. We strive for such high standards here at Park Farm Hotel it looks as though we have outshone ourselves :-)

It is lovely to read that you spend your date nights with us and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Natalie Hood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hethersett
Dunston Hall
#1 of 50 in Norwich
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coltishall

Been to Park Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!