“Comfortable but sort out air con in the rooms & the food”

Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
London
“Comfortable but sort out air con in the rooms & the food”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Went for a family visit and had last minute decision to stay for 2 nights instead of 1 (ie another £170). Asked if food would be available after 9pm and was told food was available until 10. So we drove over from London and got there and straight to the ZEST cafe, a weird modern, detached house in the grounds. Staff were not very welcoming. We got there before 9.15 and asked for a table to be told the kitchen were closing soon. Then as another family of 3 had also just arrived they agreed to fit us in. The food was poor. We'd have eaten better at the motorway service station. I had a £13 pizza which was awful! Frozen bread base and cheap cheese on top, Rock hard. Horrid! you can buy chilled pizzas for £3 at a supermarket.Kids menu rubbish- even starving kids couldn't stomach the burger and fish - only chips went down ok.
Didn't get into the spa but they didn't seem keen on filling their 30 min and 60 min slots for Saturday. I got the feeling it was better for them to have the break, but this is often the case with spa hotels in my experience. They run separately from then hotel. I'm not sure about this set up though. Had it been my company under my management, I would have been desperate to make sure I was fully booked at peak periods, knowing Monday- Friday can't be so busy?.
Rooms were very comfortable but just way too hot and windows go down the "Marriot" maximum a few inches so it wasn't comfortable and there was no manual temperature control.
The pool was the saving grace and we had full use as a family and had a good time there. However on the second night (a Saturday) we were told we could only eat at 6-6.45 or 9.pm onwards. This was I think because there was a wedding on.We weren't bothered by the noise of the wedding at all which was great but the restaurant was half empty all night and it wasn't due to table bookings in the restaurant. I am however, a bit tired of feeling a 2nd class resident at Uk hotels in wedding season, who have used all their staff to deal with weddings.This is not the first time this has happened, so if you want true 4* attention ask if they have a wedding on!
The food in the restaurant was bog standard. Far more expensive than decent pub grub and not that standard. My main meal was £11 for a plate of little gem lettuce, no dressing, a sliced pear. cubes of blue cheese and croutons. Really very poor! My kids also refused to eat their kids meal despite being starving. Even pizza failed again! You know how rare that is!
In defence of the the staff waiting on, they were always lovely but they cannot make up for what is coming out of the kitchen. This needs sorting or that 4* will be whipped from you!
Would I go again? With my kids, for the pool yes, but we would smuggle our own food in and eat far better.Yet to try the spa though heard some women saying their massages had been lovely. So maybe on my own too.But NOT when there was a wedding on as I don't think the management take on more staff for the busy food serving period and residents lose out.
Air con is a must!

Room Tip: One with air con. Good luck!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

Big rooms comfy beds decent service at dinner . I even used the gym which was hi tech and modern

• Stayed July 2012
London
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We were visiting Blicking Hall and the Marriott was conveniently located . We like Marriott
standard, generally no surprises!. This is a large hotel with a golf facility and consequently
relaxed and less formal than others. We booked online and were very satisfied with the
rate. We ate at the hotel as it is some way from Norwich town center, we were not disappointed
food was wholesome and well served.

Room Tip: Check whose above you!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Groningen
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I visit this hotel once every two months for work. I really love the rooms, very clean, good shower and bathrooms and excellent beds. Spa en gym are well equipped and friendly staff. Only downside is possibly the travel to Norwich centre and the food selection/ quality. I agree with earlier reviewer that the WiFi is ridiculously overpriced.

Room Tip: Suites are good value for money
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I often have to stay here for work. The hotel itself is an amazing building with a fantastic pool/spa gym that is definitely worth using. I've never tried the golf course. What lets the place down is:
1) The ease of transport into Norwich city centre. I've often had to wait ages for a taxi.
2) There is one receptionist who is so cold she is almost rude. I thought it was just me, but the taxi driver confirmed the same that she is always "rather snotty"
3) The food is quite poor and very over-priced. I had had enough of the various room service meals and got a ridiculously sized pub-grub style meal in the restaurant, which I was asked to order sides of as it came alone to find it didn't, so I had more potatoes than a family weekly shop. Colleagues resort to walking to the local supermarket and buying snacks to avoid the evening meal there, which is not what you would expect from a quality hotel.
4) The lack of free WiFi in this day and age is amazing. I travel a lot for work and this is one of the few hotels that do not include it in its high price.

To avoid this being totally negative, the rooms are extremely clean, they have great complimentary toiletries and the beds are extremely comfortable. It is worth it for the bedroom itself, it is just a shame the service elements do not match the facilities.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank brob11
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The hotel grounds were quite impressive as you can see from the exterior photos. Lovely building with typical Marriott styling throughout. Room was pretty much standard for Marriott although no AC was a disappointment even for a mild weekend. The staff was very friendly at all times, we very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We went to this hotel (4 ladies) for my 40th birthday celebrations. Arrived to find a bottle of wine and jars of sweets/nuts along with a card from the hotel. Lovely touch and v thoughtful. Room was ok-good. Major problem was no air con in the room. It was stiffling and sleeping was out of the question. Can't believe a 3 star does not have air con. It put a real damper on things. We wanted a quick snack so we ordered room service from the 'in room menu'. We were charged £3 for them to bring it to us... No mention of this charge anywhere.. But sneaky. We then asked for some milk to be sent up as our room didn't have any... This never appeared. Reception staff were 'ok'... Not the most welcome bunch. Breakfast lovely but they are understaffed. Waited a while for coffee. Overall we thought it was a nice hotel in beautiful grounds but with a small amount of effort it could be stunning. I think they let themselves down at times.

• Stayed May 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Dunston Hall
#1 of 1 in Barnham Broom
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!