“Pleasant hotel but too HOT!”

Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed here just for one night whilst visiting family. It's a very attractive hotel in lovely grounds.

We arrived late and the check-in was faultless. The staff were very friendly and efficient throughout. Breakfast was excellent.

The room was a decent size for the three of us and the two queen beds were extremely comfortable. The bathroom was a reasonable size, too, and had everything you would need - and a good shower.

The only problem was: the room was SO hot! There were two radiators on the wall on either side of the window and both were pumping out the heat. We turned them both off straightaway and opened the window as far as we could (which wasn't far, as is usual in hotels) but we couldn't get the room cool enough to be comfortable!

Wifi wasn't free either, which is a bit of a nuisance in this day and age.

But all in all, it's a pleasant hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

The Sprowston Manor is a good, functional business hotel, but persists in charging for wifi in your room but not in the public areas which in the 21st century where wifi is an absolute given have we not moved beyond this Marriott group ?

That aside my room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was hot and tasty. I will come back when next on business in the area

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Checked into hotel. Rooms are small. One of the keys was not programmed to enter room. Poor view of electric sub station which was not expected from a country house hotel. Room has safe, iron, trouser press, minibar and tea and coffee. Sheets were dirty on one bed and had to be replaced. We went into town and returned about 9.30pm. We struggled to find a parking space for the car. We went to use the pool and hot tub. Very dated changing rooms. Facilities were basic. The room has no central lights. It is lit by various lamps in the room and you have to hunt for the lamp switches in the dark. Sleeping was difficult. The smoke dector has two red leds flashing over one of the beds. The corridoor is noisey and we kept waking up as people passed by. There was a hum all night in the room.

The sink in the bathroom was cracked. Grout missing from tiling. Paint and wall paper peeling.

For eifi the hotel wanted £15. This hotel needs to realise this is going to frustrate guests. We later found you can get it free if you select the public rather than guest network. Obviously guests are less important!

Breakfast was dismal. We were shown to a dirty table. Melon was hard, pineapple had run out, grapes were brown and gone off. The mushrooms were tasteless, and food greasy. There was no museli or seeds. Poor pastries. Expresso machine produced dishwater coloured coffee. Cups were dirty. It took 3 sets of cutlery to find a knife that was clean. Suprising considering someone had carefully placed dirty knives in a napkin. Finally after removing luggage to the car on returning to the room we found housekeeping had barged in and started to turn the room despite the fact shhh was on the door. When the receptionist asked about our stay, I was informed client services would email, but they did not bother.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Salvatore_longo, Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Sprowston Manor first of all and thank you for your feedback on Trip advisor

I am writing to you to apologise for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay .

I can assure you that we will act upon your comments and ensure that improvements are made.

We pride ourselves on offering the best facilities and services here at the hotel and I am sorry that we failed on this occasion.

We value your feedback and I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sprowston Manor in the future.

Kind regards,

Salvatore Longo

Director of Operations
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Great access to Norwich & the coast. Lovely suite with a HUGE bath. despite it being half term and loads of families being there, is was quiet enough. Dinner was alright, but it was a very long wait between arriving for a pre-dinner drink and having our order taken in the bar to actually being seated and eating. Breakfasts good, with bucks fizz one morning. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Did not try the spa or the pool. The latter mainly as there were lots of kids swimming. Not an issue just a preference.
It was a relaxing comfortable weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I came here this morning with my friend who had been given a voucher for her birthday from her husband. When we arrived the swimming pool was completely taken over by screaming children. The screaming children also took over the changing room. We are mothers of young children and a spa treat to us mean peace and quiet from screaming children. We had to share a locker because they were so busy. Pack them in, more money for Marriott more like.

There were no loungers to lie on around the pool as they had all been 'towelled' in reservation. When I asked where I could relax I was told in the pre-treatment area which consisted of tub chairs. A lot of the times in this room people were standing up waiting either to be treated or dying for a lie down after a relaxing massage. At least I was away from the screaming children. The selection of magazines consisted of two trade beauty magazines. I asked for some magazines or today's papers and was given a selection of magazines that trade on the 'my father/uncle/brother/son raped me' genre - classy.

Lunch in the Golf Club consisted of overpriced meals served with undercooked oven chips - absolutely disgusting. I ordered the fish and chips and mushy peas, it arrived with bullet peas and wasn't apologised to in any way for the appalling substitution.

This is the most dreadful place to have a relaxing spa day - please don't come here.

Room Tip: Disgusting. Not a spa, go to a public swimming pool and get your nails/massage in a salon and you w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank chichinakedlion
Davina M, PA to General Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I would like to apologise that your spa experience was greatly affected by the volume of visitors utilising the fitness and pool facilities on the day. You have provided enormous feedback with regards to your lunch experience which we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss further with you. A private message has been sent in addition to this reply requesting your contact telephone number. If you could please indicate a suitable time at your earliest convenience we would truly value this opportunity.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Had a nice but very pricey massage, then we went over to the Zest Bar for lunch. It's not how it used to be when it used to be a lovely good quality treat. Today I went for cheesy fries and salad, wanted something small. I requested well done crispy chips. But received sloppy white soggy ones. And the massive plop of melted cheese was unappetising in itself. Anyway the server barely placed the plate on my table and didn't stick around to check if everything is right or if we needed anything else. I said straight away as she was escaping that I was very sorry but I had specifically asked for well done crispy chips and these weren't at all. She took it away and the ones I got next were very nice. But I had to wait for them so my other half and I didn't eat together. Nobody apologised or checked if this was any better. By the way there was only one more table, of four, eating. Also my side salad which cost £3 was thrown on with many unedible wilted leaves. No discount offered. Didn't ask if we wanted more drinks or any desert. Also a small thing but I requested a straw with my soft drink and didn't get it. Later when we went to pay at the till nobody was concerned with whether we enjoyed the meal or not and again an opportunity of an apology missed. After years of coming here we won't be going back.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank HB79UK
Salvatore_longo, Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I regret to hear that your overall experience at Zest Café Bar on our golf course was not enjoyable on this occasion.

As you have been a valued customer over so many years, I would like to ask for a few minutes of your time, to contact me at your convenience, in order to gather more information to help us make sure the necessary improvements are made.

Please accept my personal apologies for this latest experience and I look forward to hearing from you and also hope to welcome you to the Sprowston Manor again soon.

Kind Regards,

Salvatore Longo
Director of Operations

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We booked last minute (through Hotel Club, cheaper than direct!) for one night with two adults and two children. The hotel is in a lovely position and the room was very nice and comfortable. The swimming area was great, the kids loved it and we spent a lot of time there! They are always cleaning it and the hot tub was lovely (over 8s only though). We didn't eat an evening meal there as we went into Norwich but breakfast was lovely, there was so much choice! Overall a lovely place for a relaxing getaway. I liked the little touches, such as games for the children to play in the seating areas and a separate games room and the free use of robes and slippers. The only couple of downsides were the noise from rooms next door and doors shutting in rooms nearby; I've stayed in other hotels where this noise isn't so bad. The staff overall were really kind and polite, but the receptionists at the main reception and in the pool area we found a bit snooty! All in all we all had a lovely time and would definitely return.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor overlooking the golf course which was very nice.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank loobyloo10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Dunston Hall
#1 of 1 in Crostwick
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#1 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!