“Disappointing!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Norwich
“Disappointing!!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My colleagues and I organised a surprise afternoon for a colleagues birthday, to include a spa treatment and afternoon tea. I contacted the Spa and paid for the treatment the day before and was put through to the restaurant to organise and pay for the afternoon tea. I gave the restaurant the details of my colleagues spa treatment and was advised that after the spa treatment, her afternoon tea would be brought down to her. I was put through to reception to give my card details to pay for the afternoon tea.

After the treatment, I spoke to my colleague who advised that she had stayed for lunch (paid for by herself) but hadn't received afternoon tea. I called Sprowston Manor and after explaining the scenario to 4 different people was put through to a Manager in the restaurant. The manager took my details and advised me they would investigate and call me back that day. I didn't receive a call back.

I called the following day, and after speaking to a further 4 people, I was put through to a helpful lady on reception who advised that she would look into what had happened and come back to me. Reception called me back later that afternoon to advise that they could offer no explanation and apologise, assuring me that no money would be taken from my card.

All in all, a disappointing experience from a hotel that is supposed to be of a high calibre. I will not be recommending after poor customer service.....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Salvatore_longo, Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I wanted to take this opportunity to apologise for the miscommunication and inconvenience this caused on this occasion. We do have Gift Vouchers for special occasions and celebrations which are normally the preferred option for organising similar surprises to avoid any chance of miscommunication however I will personally address this with the team and staff members involved and I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sprowston Manor in the future.
Once again please accept my apologies and do not hesitate to contact me in the future for further assistance.

Kind regards,
Salvatore Longo Director of Operations
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here for a very large wedding and I have to say the hotel did an amazing job. Given the number of guests the service was excellent and attentive, the food was lovely and despite the numbers it came to the tables well presented and the main course was hot. My vegetarian option was lovely and tasty and rivalled the meat course on appearance, presentation and I'm sure also on taste. The waiters kept us very happily flowing in wine and were attentive to all our needs. The venue for the reception was in a permanent marquee - and it was lovely. Anyone choosing to wedding here - I think it is an excellent location. Now for the hotel stay, the rooms are lovely, we had one on the third floor and enjoyed watching the swallows nesting under the eves, unfortunately we had to keep the windows open because there is no air conditioning and the rooms were really hot, despite the small fan provided in the room. This meant that it was easy to hear the band playing for the wedding reception - thank goodness we were wedding guests otherwise we might have been a bit miffed as the music went onto half past midnight. My only other criticism is the 'in room' costs for wifi, which at £15 a day in this day and age is a little steep. However, there is free access in the public areas - it is just a little inconvenient. The hotel has a golf course, spa and leisure facilities. We didn't play golf but certainly used the pool which was lovely. Not only was the food for the wedding really good, it was also good in the dining room where we had dinner on our first night, the prices were really reasonable too. Breakfast was included in our package and again this was very good. I would most definitely recommend this hotel - seems to fit all age groups and is just right for families.

Room Tip: The corridors were really quiet, the whole place felt really calm. Our room on the third floor overl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were lucky enough to be able to book a suite for a two day break in order to attend a function.

The hotel has a long sweeping drive, looks quite impressive with more than ample parking.

The staff at every point were extremely polite, helpful and really friendly. We could not fault one of them.

Check-in was easy but they do take an extra £50.00 charge per night. Some people are told this covers the mini bar but you can buy the whole mini bar for £11.00 on checkout. So this is to cover extras you might buy in the bar /restaurant/spa and to be honest normal procedure for a hotel of this type.

The suite was very large and with the exception of the seating the furniture was modern and everything very clean. The seating does look a little dated both in the rooms and the public areas.

The bathroom was spacious and clean – two sinks, a huge bath and a separate shower.

There is no air conditioning in the rooms and given it was one of the hottest days of the year – you can imagine how warm it became. The hotel does however provide fans which is nice.

There is a mini bar but it contains no alcohol. They also put crisps and popcorn on the desk and it’s not clear these are part of the mini bar and you will be charged for them.

In our case our fridge was not even turned on – I appreciate a previous guest may have switched it off in the night but it was not particularly noisy and to be honest I would expect housekeeping to check this when they stock the mini bar.

The hotel public areas are not as large as others similar hotels in the area and to be honest the décor is a little tired.

There is one bar – it has limited seating, some of which is often reserved for the cream tea booking. There is plenty of outside seating but only two tables have umbrellas so you burn in the hot sunshine. We did ask for an extra umbrella but apparently the ones they have don’t fit the holes in the tables! Also note the bar closes just after midnight - even for residents ..Why?????

Last but not least I move onto the food. I think the advice here is … avoid at all costs (with one possible exception).

Breakfast – we experienced both room service and the buffet service. The bacon is anaemic and looks like it’s sat around for weeks. (What happened to crispy bacon guys), Sausages poor, there was no black pudding and everything just looked like a buffet service in a cheap travel lodge.

The breakfast buffet area is what I refer to as a cattle market. You can’t easily walk between the seated guests, you queue for the cooked breakfast and when it’s busy you can’t hear yourself think. Staff are friendly and very helpful but they forget things like cups to go with your tea.

Dinner, the only dinner we experienced was part of the event we attended but none the less cooked in the hotel.

The broccoli soup is hot water with broccoli in it. No matter how much seasoning I added it made no difference. The chicken was dryer than my table cloth. And who makes a banoffee pie with that fake cream stuff? It was so bad nearly everyone left it. The other option was strawberry tart with clotted cream. Again the clotted cream was fake cream.

The one saving grace was the afternoon tea. We asked for one afternoon tea to share as we had an early dinner. The afternoon tea came out with four rounds of sandwiches, one scone and one slice of cake and all the usual sides. It was actually very tasty and the really helpful waitress came over and asked if we wanted more cake as there was some left.

Overall this hotel is tired, has terrible food and for Marriot, well I can only assume they have forgotten they own it – not even close to their normal high standards.

The staff are however fantastic but don’t come here expecting a fairy tale, romantic weekend style break in a luxury manor house style hotel because it certainly does not deliver.

Room Tip: Wifi is £16.00 per day unless you are Marriott member.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Simon D
Salvatore_longo, Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. It has been a pleasure to welcome you to Sprowston Manor and I am delighted that you enjoyed our very spacious Suite . I would also like to thank you for the great comments about our staff. At the same time I would like to apologise if we did not fulfil your expectations during your dining experience and I can assure you that your detailed comments have been shared with our Kitchen and Service Team.
I wanted to thank you once again as we value your feedback so that we can improve and I do hope to welcome you back to Sprowston Manor
Kind regards,
Salvatore Longo Director of Operations
Norwich
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Planning a weekend to relax and de stress, we found this manor to be the perfect place!

Spending the weekend at the hotel, using the spa and gym couldn't have been any better.
The staff are very friendly and always attentive to everything, providing great products and service have us a lovely experience and drawn us in to definitely return for another time.

Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I am very happy to say that I and all our family had a wonderful weekend at Sprowston Manor to celebrate my husbands Birthday.With three very pleasant rooms booked,wonderful weather,and a lovely setting,it was most enjoyable.The staff were excellent and could not do enough for us,which made things even more special.
Good golfing facilities,good swimming pool,lovely grounds,perfect for a family break with young children. Many thanks to all the excellent Staff for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank johnrowe918
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The hotel really looks lovely not just from the outside but also to the inside. The room was cosy and modern as well. Lovely beds and an amazing good night sleep. Food was nice and the lounge was just all nice and classy. Worth the money and stay, although it was just for a night. But overall experience was totally perfect.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew D, General Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
It was lovely to read your comments posted on Trip Advisor from your recent stay.
We pride ourselves on offering the best service and facilities for our guests here at the Sprowston Manor and appreciate that you felt your experience was ‘Perfect’. Hopefully we can welcome you back for a longer stay next time to make the most of what we have to offer here at the hotel and our lovely surrounding areas of Norfolk.
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel is a lovely period property with high quality decor sympathetic to its surroundings. We went for afternoon tea as a summer treat. The staff were excellent and very attentive. I had booked a table in the lounge area which had been laid out for us upon arrival; crisp white tablecloth and traditional crockery. The tea was poured by the staff and a delicious afternoon tea of sandwiches, cakes, pastries and scones served. We were mainly served by a trainee waiter, who was very professional (I suspect he won't be a trainee for long). Would recommend to anyone for a special treat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments that you have reviewed on Trip Advisor regarding our Afternoon Tea offering at the Sprowston Manor Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed our traditional crockery along with the food selection. I have passed your comments to the Restaurant Manager who will let the service staff know your lovely feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Dunston Hall
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,102 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!