“Relaxing stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Shropshire
“Relaxing stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

Stayed here for one night with husband and without children. Originally we were put in a smoking room so they immediately upgraded us to a suite which was lovely - excellent service there. However the water in my bath was only luke warm and there was no hairdryer in the room. Apart from that the room was fine, exceptionally clean. Dinner was fine, not much choice on the menu, but what we did have was lovely - a little expensive. We felt the dining room lacked atmosphere although it was busy - no candles on the tables, lighting a bit bright, no flowers anywhere.
Breakfast was nothing special. All in all, our stay was very pleasant and fine really, but lacked that 'extra special something'.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GroveFarmHouseBnB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Lincs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

On balance, very good for the money. But my room was too warm, and had windows which irritatingly did not open far due to safety catches. There is no air con.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
northoflondon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2009

First the slight imperfections: fine dining is on the expensive side and it was a bit disappointing that some of the tables next to us hadn't been cleaned. When booking the fine dining we were told that it was likely to be busy and should book early - I know its an old, old trick but when we turned up the restuarant was virtually empty and they really didn't need to do the sales patter as we would have gone anyway. Breakfast is ok but not the best. However for the rest:-
We had two teenage kids and a dog, not the world's easiest combination but on every occasion that we had any request or query the staff could not have been more helpful. Whilst the fine food was expensive it was also very tasty. The rooms and hotel were clean and well presented, the grounds were lovely as was the swimming pool (which we visited as often as possible). For a leisure break it was just the ticket and was a relaxing. Overall we had a very enjoyable break and we have already recommended it to some friends.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank fluffthecat
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

Stayed here on business Jan 2009 and was pleasantly surprised at finding a US-style Marriott in the UK. Plusses were good internet access; very helpful staff; a great pool and a good-sized room. Only dowside was the food, which could easily be improved upon with little effort.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MartinDe
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

Stayed at Sprowston Manor about three or four times in 2008, the most recent being in December 2008. The property impressed every time.

Yes, this place conforms to the usual Marriott formula, but that in itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

The public areas and the rooms are clean, tidy, well decorated and well furnished. Better than many other places in and around Norwich.

Dining options also follow the usual Marriott formula, so you'll find the good old Marriott Burger and Marriott Club Sandwich, even if they have different names! The Zest Bar & Grill often has specials and tends to show most sporting events.

All-in-all, a nice enough place to stay, and, if you're a Marriott Rewards member, all the better for being able to accrue and redeem points.

• Liked — Clean, tidy, well appointed
  • Disliked — Expensive in comparison to other Norwich properties
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
La Grange, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

I picked this hotel, not because of what I read on Trip Advisor (I didn’t look), but because it was one of the few hotels just a couple of hours outside of London that we had not stayed at yet, we could get our room on points, and the property showed well on the web
The good points:
- Very friendly staff
- Clean hotel (Recently remodeled, but not sure when?)
- I booked a hotel room with added note we had a 2yr old w/ us and when I checked-in (10:30pm), they offered an upgrade for £40 to a suite which I accept and they promptly prepared my new room for my daughter as such a late time at night.
- Beautiful property (18 hole golf course)
- Costa Coffee served at the golf course pro shop
- The pool facilities I thought were very well maintained. They have plenty of staff working throughout the area, they have wonderful toddlers pool for the 2-3yr olds.
The bad points:
- Pretty area, but not as pretty as other areas of England. More flat farm land then anything.
- Not a ton of stuff to do around the area. We were aware of a small aquarium and a zoo nearby for my daughter, so we were fine. But if it was just my wife and I, I’m not sure we would have found much to do? I could be wrong?
- When we got to our hotel room, it was rather warm and muggy. The hotel staff was in our room preparing my daughters bed, I asked were the thermostat was for the air conditioner, and she offered up a fan? I guess I couldn’t get my head around the fact that this day in age how if you are going to spend the money to rehab the hotel (it obviously was) that you don’t install individual air conditioning units for each room? It was fall time so we opened the window (as open as they would allow) and it was cooled off in a couple of hours. But I will never rebook at a hotel that doesn’t have this “standard” that most hotels would do.
- This is a small thing, but I see it every now and then and I always think “just how cheap can a company get”, but they only put 1 bar of soap in the bathroom. This only becomes an issue when 2 or more people are in the room and you are trying to get ready at the same time, but I don’t see why it is too much to ask to have a bar of soap for the sink and a bar of soap for the shower/bath tub.
- My wife got a 1hr massage the last day we were there. The price wasn’t too bad @ £44, but she said it was one of the worst she has ever had. They didn’t work on the back of her neck, hands, or feet. She didn’t bring it up with them, but she didn’t tip them either.
We ate 1 night at the golf course, which was OK. I could not attest to the food at the restaurants inside the hotel itself.

• Liked — Toddler pool
  • Disliked — No Air Conditioning
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2008

Really, one of my worst hotel stays in a long time... Spent one night here on work trip, a Saturday. Terrible night.

Arrived late, and was provided the disabled room. I understand that this happens sometimes, but this room was quite strange. Dificult to figure out where to turn on lights, etc. I pulled a string which I thought was a lightswitch, and it aparently set off an alarm which caused the front desk to come to my room (repeatedly).

Biggest warning: No air conditioning in this room (and whole hotel?). As a result, the windows needed to stay open all night, which allowed noise from a wedding and the adjacent pub to filter in until about 11PM. Walls were also paper thin, and allowed noise from minor wedding after-party in adjacent room. Call to the front desk resulted in a knock on neighbor's door, rather than a requested reassignment to a new room.

Finally fall asleep around 1AM. My room also faced out onto a gravel parking lot, which was quite noisy. Golfers started arriving around 6AM, and with open windows, that meant more noise and wakeup.

Went to breakfast at around 7:30A, and found the dining room without any staff. After 10 minutes someone emerged from the kitchen and seated me. I watched this scenario play out with every other guest who showed up. Breakfast was average.

Other minor complaint is swimming pool smell permeating everywhere.

Overall, don't be fooled by the brand name. This hotel is not even close to typical Marriott standards. It is a blight to the brand. I switched my stay to the Holiday Inn at the stadium, and had a much better rest the following night.

• Stayed August 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
No photo provided
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,086 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!