“Excellent All Round”
Review of Dunston Hall

Hexham
“Excellent All Round”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

You approach the hotel down a long drive that passes through the centre of the golf course. When entering the reception you have a friendly and efficient welcome, and the check-in process is stress free. The signs that guide you to your room are easy to follow.
The room was comfortable with all we needed to relax and the terrace was a wonderful setting for afternoon tea in the sun. The swimming pool was a great place to unwind after a day on the road.
The breakfast has a varied choice and you will be set up for the rest of the day with either a Continental or full English breakfast.
Every aspect of our stay was good. The staff are helpful, friendly and caring. The facilities on offer are a high quality and well maintained. I cannot fault De Vere Dunston Hall Hotel in any way.

Dear Sir / Madam,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor - Feedback of this nature is very important to us at the hotel as without it we cannot improve the service levels that we offer.
I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that when you are in the Norwich area again you will consider staying at Dunston Hall.
Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to speak to see you at the hotel in the near future.

Dunston Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Polish first
Castlebar, Ireland
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Room was dated and hotel was a maze of corridors. Room could have been cleaner, especially under the beds. Bar was expensive £9 for a short, splash and pint of lager. Several of us checking in and rooms were not allocated, wrong or not even in the system.
On a positive note the breakfast was ok.

Dear Sir / Madam,

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed elements of your stay with us. I would be delighted to speak with you in more depth should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel daily if you would like to e-mail your contact details so I can contact you please do so on david.graham@devere-hotels.com.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to speak to you in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2011

i was looking forward to a fantastic time when my daughter held her wedding reception here,instead it was one thing after another, we had ordered a double disabled for two of our guests,firstly they could not find the booking ,then our guests were shown to two seperate disabled rooms miles apart from each other (which was eventually sorted)a lot of the guests were charged twice for rooms and drinks ,on their credit cards, no cash accepted at bars after midnight, reception very rude and unhelpful, my room was clean but dated,yet another guest found cotton buds and pills under a bed that had obviuously not been cleaned under, although we recieved confirmation for special requests, they were not catered for on arrival,room service very expensive, bar was very expensive , £2_50 for a small bottle of .water.views and grounds were beautiful ,but sorry to say that,s all it had going for it,all in all it almost ruined what should have been happy occasion,

Surrey, UK
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My husband & I stayed at Dunstan Hall for one night on Saturday. We were very much looking forward to a gloriously relaxing luxury spa break. We chose this venue as it promised everything we wanted. We booked the Executive Queen Suite as this was the best room available.

Sadly, we were extremely disappointed with our stay.

The bed was a standard king size, rather than the implied luxurious queen sized bed we expected. There was no safe or mini bar in the room, both increasingly standard in rooms of lower star rating. The television was laughably small in relation to the dimensions of the room and could not be viewed from the bed. There was no lighting at the dressing table, rendering the area obsolete as it served no functional purpose in terms of being able to apply make up etc.

The bathroom also fell far short of our expectations. Again, it was spacious, but the area had been used with little imagination. Rather than having a sumptuous bath and shower, the standard bath with a tired and dated overhead shower lurked in the corner. Washing my hair with a watering can would have proved to be more effective as the water pressure was painfully low.

The spa... sadly, the beautician was fully booked, though this is clearly nobody's fault. As we couldn't have any treatments, we settled on spending the afternoon in the pool area. The photographs online offered a classically inspired paradise, but the reality was quite different. Walking through to the pool, I was immediately hit by the overwhelming chlorine fumes. I appreciate chlorine is an essential chemical to use in the maintenance of such a pool; however, I suspect the levels had been applied in a rather overzealous manner. Rather than being a luxury spa venue, it was reminiscent of a municipal pool with a few random potted plants to try to created a sense of atmosphere. After 15 minutes, we had to abandon the pool idea as my eyes were stinging so severely due to chemical overload.

Dinner in La Fontaine was the redeeming feature of the break. It was good quality food and service at a reasonable price.

All in all, the overwhelming memory of our weekend will be of our expectations being dashed and the luxury spa break we had looked forward to ending up being a total disappointment.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2011

A very disappointing place to stay.
Wonderful driveway to delightfully over the top building. But from the moment we walked in the door it felt shabby.. The room was just okay - just comfortable and just big enough. The corridoors smelt of shabbiness - all a bit scuffed and plastic. Service was awful and you get the feeling that the staff are not very happy in their work. Would never stay again

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dear Sir / Madam,

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed elements of your stay with us. I was particularly disapointed in your feedback about the staff at the hotel as gererally the feedback I receive about the team is very positive. I would be delighted to speak with you in more depth should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel daily if you would like to e-mail your contact details so I can contact you please do so on david.graham@devere-hotels.com.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I travelled to Norwich on business and stayed at this hotel due to the positive feedback from other reviews on here. However I could not have been more dissappointed! On arrival at the hotel I was initially impressed by the exterior but the inside was another story, it was dark and dingy and seriously dated. The receptionists were rude and did not provide me with the welcome I had been expecting. On making it to my room with my bags I was eager to relax, however my room had yet to be cleaned! I spoke with the (rude) reception once more and requested a room change, thankfully my second room was clean.

The rooms really are small, I expected a supposed four star hotel to offer me a room of decent size however the rooms are small and as drab as the rest of the hotel. On attending the restaurant for dinner to meet with colleagues I was interested to hear that most had encountered a similar experience on arrival. Dinner was acceptable, not a great choice and a very long wait to be served in a quiet restaurant but the food was decent enough. Breakfast the following morning seemed to be a shambles, there was no one to seat us and panic in the restaurant so we decided to dine elsewhere.

Really not a great stay, wonderful location but alas that is all the positive I can say for this hotel. Avoid when possible!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank drake_2011
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 18 June 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed elements of your stay with us. I would be delighted to speak with you in more depth should you wish to do so. In particular I was disapointed to hear about your experience with our reception team. I am available at the hotel daily if you would like to e-mail your contact details so I can contact you please do so on david.graham@devere-hotels.com.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

the room was not in good condition .no air con.bits missing off furniture,bathroom was very scruffy, windows were black mildew,no mini bar and room was £180 so very over top,had pedicure which was good but at £32 over top as well .golf was good as should have been £45 but as we were at a party that night it was reduced to £25

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beverley G
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 18 June 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed elements of your stay with us. I was particularly disapointed to hear about the issues with room quality that you experienced. I would be delighted to speak with you in more depth should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel daily if you would like to e-mail your contact details so I can contact you please do so on david.graham@devere-hotels.com.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Holy Cross
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!