“Great break and great value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great break and great value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

Having just spent two nights at Dunston Hall for my partners Birthday celebration, we were made to feel really special.
it always amazes me how people can be disappointed with the Hotel. The room we were given was spacious and clean with lovely soft furnishings. Every member of staff that we encountered was helpful, friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Leisure facilities were included and the pool was warm and inviting. The carvery was above standard with all food hot and of good quality, breakfast was exceptionally good. If people feel the need to complain about these kind of facilities on this site do bear in mind that you can't please all of the people all of the time, there must be an awful lot of spoilt people out there.
We will definitely be back. Thank you Dunston Hall.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor with a terrace, perhaps a little cold but heating was adjustable.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your partners birthday celebration. I will pass on your feedback to the relevant departments, I am sure they will be thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the facilities. I do hope that you will come and visit us again soon.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Polish first
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

Enjoyed our stay at Dunston Hall. Room was very roomy although a little dated but I expect this was because we had a special group booking rate. Staff very attentive and meal at party very nice. Only complaint was that there were far too many tables cramped in for the party night making it a nightmare to get out to the toilets, and the waiting staff had an awful time trying to get around with the serving of meals. In fact it was a bit dangerous with hot tea/coffee service, and when we got home I found custard had been spilt all over my pashmina which was on the back of my chair. However not the staff's fault, I thought they did very well under the cramped conditions. I did think however that the number of tables were a safety hazard.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor as we could hear people in the room above us.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad to hear that you had a good stay with us. Our Christmas Party nights have been very well attended however I am glad that you enjoyed the event. I am sorry to hear that you had custard spilled on you. Please contact me at the hotel and I will happily pay for the cleaning cost for the garment concerned. I am available at the hotel on 01508470444 or on david.graham@devere-hotels.com. once again many thanks for giving me your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kindest regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Despite a letter from De Vere legal department attempting to prevent me posting on Trip Advisor please find below my review on my stay at the above. I have posted some images of the condition of the rooms for information and guidance and I will update you if i receive any comments in justification from the hotel. Date of stay was 1st December 2011.

I am afraid my stay in the hotel was blighted by two things.

1. The state of the room - please see attached. This condition also extended to the dining area where the carpets were badly stained
2. A reasonably serious case of food poisoning. As the hotel food was the only food I ate for a reasonable period before the outbreak I can safely assume that the hotel kitchens were the source.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank simonp000

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

Never having been before, set the sat nav to the advertised post code only to end up ain a tiny village with no hotel. Phoned Hotel but just get a central switchboard, no help there. Report to reception after finding it and mention no phone answering, a shrug but appareantly not a surprise. Bar was chaos with everyone running round after a large and noisy group who had clearly already consumed more than enough. The quiet and patient people waited an awfully long time to get served. Restaurant was ok and food ok too. Decor tired and worn out needs a serious makeover. No safe in the room 4 star hotel, not on ! particularly in ground floor room great big window looking out the back.Checking out tried to charge me again when I had paid in full at time of booking, a long debate later and rummaging for booking info was greeted with a less than gracious refund and new bill for extras only. Unless you are going for the golf give it a miss there are much better hotels in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was sorry to hear that you had experienced issues whilst you were here. I have passed your feedback on to the relevant heads of department to ensure they take action to avoid these types of issues. I will personally address the issue with regards to reception as I am concerend with this type of attitude. If you would like to discuss your stay further with me I am available at the hotel daily on 01508470444 or you can email me on david.graham@devere-hotels.com
Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to speak with you soon.
Sincerely
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

We six friends always spend an early 'Christmas' together, and this year Dunston Hall was chosen. We were impressed with our initial view of the building, the friendliness of the receptionists, the presentation of the rooms and facilities. The waiting-on staff were quick and efficient, and the carvery meal more than adequate. All in all a very enjoyable stay. We hope to visit again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jan-malcolm24
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Many thanks or taking the time to review the hotel. It was great to hear that you had enjoyed your time with us. I will pass on your feeback to the Brasserie team who will be delighted. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Essex UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Just back from a one night stay at Dunston Hall. Booked a deal that included a deluxe room, bottle of wine and breakfast. Arrived at the hotel at about 4.30pm after spending a lovely day in Norwich. The hotel was very impressive as we approached along the drive. We were welcomed warmly and efficiently and were soon in our deluxe room. The room was large, modern and well equipped. The bed was huge and very comfortable. Our complimentary wine was delivered promptly to our room. We didn't eat in the restaurant because we had eaten a large lunch in Norwich. Instead we enjoyed a nice swim in the virtually empty pool, followed by a soak in the jacuzzi, which could have been a bit warmer.
The hotel seemed to be very busy with Christmas parties however we enjoyed a great nights sleep without any disturbances from other guests.
Breakfast was delicious and the staff friendly and efficient.
Overall a great stay and would return without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angel57
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us. We have had a very busy time with Christmas Parties and I am glad to hear that they did not spoil your enjoyment of the hotel.
norwich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

We as a family over the years have been regular visitors to Dunston Hall for sunday lunch. this particular weekend we had not been for a while so we were really looking forward to going.It had in the past always been hit and miss but this time a big miss!!

We were seated in the conservatory, waitress took our drink orders and meal requirements, we as a group of 9 were all having the carvery except my son who was having sausages and mashed potaotes of the kids menu.
Half of our drinks arrived, asked the wairer who apologised and brought the remaining drinks after we had eaten our starters followd by a waitress with our complete order agaim, drinks were all incorrect.
After our starters we waited about 20 mins for my sons pre ordered meal to arrive but as still not on the table the adults decided to get their carvery lunch which was very good, I asked the waitress for his kids meal she said it was on its way (was ordered 40 mins ago) when I was half way through my lunch giving most to my son I requested it again, her reply was that the kitchen is very busy!!!! cheek of it, I told her to get sausages and mash off the carvery for him.
We had all finished and sat with our dirty plates piled up for about 20 mins we decided to get dessert. The counter as self serve was a mess, cakes broken up, 4 empty bowls which should have been profita rolls and fruit salad, all the cream jugs were empty. we finished our puds and our plates were still piled high in front of us from our main meal!!!!

The bill arrived....what a shock, as regular diners we had a rough idea what we pay....£50 too much. Drinks had been put on twice, extra dinners added.
Really need to pick their socks and pay attention to detail, was a bit of a shambles to say the least.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dummydots
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review the Brasserie at the hotel. I was disapointed to read about your experience. Firstly please allow me to apologise for this, I can assure you that the feedback on this occasion is not indicative of the feedback normally recieved about the Brasserie. I would like an opportunity to discuss the experience in more detail. I am available at the hotel daily on 01508470444 or you can email me at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
Once again many thanks for your review and i look forward to speaking with you in the near future.
Best regards
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,086 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!