“Very pleasant surprise”

Dunston Hall
Hartlepool
“Very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed for the first time as part of a business trip. First impressions were, what a great building but I was a little wary as reception was being redecorated. The hotel is what can only be described as having old world charm but with a very modern feel. It certainly makes a refreshing change from the wharehouse type accomodation available elswhere. Room was a fantastic surprise as it was large, stylish and comfortable. Had the evening meal in, as it is too far to travel (taxi about £16 to Norwich) to find other venues; enjoyed it very much. Staff were brilliant apart from a rather snooty receptionist. Breakfast was a good experience, calm and quiet, efficient staff and a good selection to choose from.

DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was thrilled to see that you had enjoyed your recent visit. I am pleased that you aprove of the new scheme in reception, we are hoping to take the project through to the rest of the ground floor. I have passed on your feedback about the receptionist and I apologise for this. I would like to think that all of my staff are polite and warm with guests. Once again many thanks for the feedback and I do hope to see you back at Dunston Hall in the near future.
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2012

The hotel is my first choice when staying in Norwich (and I know the area well as I lived there for very nearly 10 years).

From the outside the hotel and grounds both look great & have a lot of character. My room was very good, spotlessly clean and quiet. The evening meal was excellent - a very nice restaurant with a good choce of food and recommended wines to accompany the meals work well. My breakfast was also very good - in fact the only problem I had was deciding what to have as they had a fantastic range of food on offer from the ubiquitous full English help-yourself to cooked to order Eggs Benedict.

But it is the staff that really make my last stay so memorable - from the reception's warm welcome, the speedy and friendly service in the restaurant (and again at breakfast) to the cheery hello as you pass the housekeeping staff in the morning.

Will stay there next time - be it business or a family stay.

Dear Mark,
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed the choice at breakfast - There wasnt anything stopping you from having eggs benedict too - I can recomend that dish as I like it myself. I do hope to see you next time you visit the hotel.
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Contary to some previously posted reviews we have recently enjoyed a very pleasant two night stay at the De Vere owned Dunston Hall. The rooms were very comfortable and had recently been decorated. The staff were very friendly and helpfull. The Restaurant catered for all tastes with the option of a nice carvery or a good a la carte menu. Most unusually the hotel sold real ale and at a very reasonable price. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Micheal,
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was delighted to see that you had enjoyed your 2 night break. We get a lot of positive feedback about our real ales - The 'Fat Cat' ale is my particular favourite and it is brewed on the outskirts of Norwich City in a micro brewery. We do rotate our beers throughout the year so there is always a good choice. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
united kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Dunston Hall looks wonderful as you make your way along the long beutiful drive'
Check-in was quick, and staff very pleasant.
Made way to room which was actually in the extention next door to Dunston Hall. Much to our disappointment as we paid two hundred pounds for two nights on a Valentine and Birthday break. We thought we would actually stay inside Dunston Hall itself.
Food was very nice on the first night. Second night was biscuits and coffee in our room as we did not wish to have another carvery on sat night. Breakfast on sunday morning was luke warm as it was buffet style it had been sitting to long. Which was surprising as this was only 8am. The rooms had very thin walls. We had very little sleep due to next door having music on from 2am to cover the noise of a crying baby which could not be helped.
After a long time of wanting to visit Dunston I was very disapointed and found it very misleading about the accomodation. I would not return.

Room Tip: A four poster room or a suite would give you accomodation which is actually in Dunston Hall and not...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was disapointed to read that you had not enjoyed certain aspects of your stay. I would be happy to discuss them in more depth with you should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel daily on 01508470444 or you can email me at david.graham@devere-hotels.com. Once again many thanks for your feedback and I look forward to speaking to you in the near future.
David Graham
Operations Manager
Dunston Hall
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The one thing you must say about this place is the grounds are beautiful, as are the external aesthetics of the actual building. The golf course also looks pretty decent, although I didn't have time for a round as I was staying for business.
There is wireless in all of the public areas, but be warned. There is no wireless in the rooms and phone signal is literally 0% in some of the rooms. If I wanted to make a call, I had to walk all the way to reception!
The hotel could be wonderful but it needs a refurbishment. A coat of paint and some new beds (and wireless throughout!).
The food was good, the breakfast excellent. The staff were all enduringly polite, but the bar was quite busy and hideously understaffed for the amount of guests wanting food and beer. Good parking facilities on site and generally the feel that this place is a good place to get away from the madness of life, and I am sure it makes a great little get-away but really needs a facelift. Good value for the room, too. I would give this a 4, but the ironing board was broken and drove me crazy. I think hotels could improve their overall service by putting in good quality irons and boards.

1 Thank Greggbb
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was pleased that there were many aspects of the hotel you liked. We are currently refurbishing reception in the hotel and have a plan to re-paint many of the hotel corridors this year. DeVere are also installing wireless into all of the properties accross the group and this should be completed before the end of the year. This should improve the internet capability vastly.
I have also passed your feedback on to the Food and Beverage team about the Bar - I am not aware of any particular staff challenges over the period of your stay however I have asked them to review this.
I do hope that you will continue to use Dunston Hall and come back to see the improvements that we are making.
Kindest regards
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed for two nights in January. I thought the hotel was impressive and had lots of Charm .. Our room was on the ground floor.Nice room, King size bed,Large flat screen TV.. Have to say it was a bit noisy( there was a fire door close by, and every one seemed to be using it as a short cut ... Bang .. Bang ..Bang ) I did mention it to Reception and they offered to move us.
Breakfast was included and it was lovely .. Nicely cooked and a huge choice.
All in all we had a nice stay !!!

Room Tip: Ask if the room is close to the fire door !!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay. I have asked the maintenance team to look at the fire door in question and see if it can be put on a soft close to prevent the banging. I do hope it will not prevent you from coming back to the hotel in the future.
Kindest regards
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I've stayed here twice now and i referred this amazing hotel to my brother and sister in-law and my financees parents are looking to stay here. This place is worth every penny!
And the staff are brilliant and friendly.
the food is 5 star fantastic, i'm a chef and i'd love to work in such an establishment.

I'd recommend this hotel to all ages to the hotel.
Also the deals that you get are un real.

I look forward to my next visit.

Thank you all for such great experiences. :)

Room Tip: My first visit back in june 2011 me and my girlfriend stayed in a standard room which was lovely...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Many thanks for reviewing the hotel. I was delighted to read that you had, had such a good time. I am greateful that you have been recomending us to your friends and family. I do hope to see you at the hotel again in the near future.
Best regards,
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,103 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!