“Lovely lovely lovely”

Dunston Hall
London, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely lovely lovely”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Highlights of the weekend were the breakfast and swimming facilities. The staff were very friendly and helpful apart from one grumpy receptionist. The bed was extremely comfy and the room cosy. The carvery was very yummy and of high quality- definitely not cold or low in standard as previously stated. You definitely get what you pay for- the building, grounds, staff and food exceeded expectation. We'll definitely be returning and recommending!!

Hi Emily,
Many thanks for your review, I was pleased to see you had enjoyed your stay. I am sorry you came into contact with a grumpy receptionist - I will pass on the feedback and make sure we sort them out. I was pelased to read that everything else with your stay was good.
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Polish first
King's Lynn
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Having had a rather busy few weeks, we booked at very late notice, receptionist on Monday afternoon was fantastic. Swimming pool on the cold side and a lot of chlorine (maybe due to all the children). Dinner on both Monday and Tuesday was fantastic, would definitly use hotel again, you certainly get what you pay for. We would like to know what rooms previous reviewers had as our experience was very positive.

Dear Nick,
Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel. I was disapointed to hear about the issues in your room. I have passed on the feedback to the housekeeper to ensure that the team do make sure they do not miss the areas you highlighted. If you would like to discuss your stay with me further then I am available at the hotel daily on 01508470444 or i can be emailed on david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I visited Dunstan Hall last week with my wife on a trip paid for by our children. We checked in ok, although I wasn't asked if I wanted a paper for the next morning. We went to our room, which only had a normal sized double bed, I thought a four star hotel would have had a least a queen size. Anyway the room was ok but the ensuite was dirty, the tiles were dirty, especially above eye line. The rail for the disabled toilet was covered in dust and the shower head is too low and can't be adjusted for height. We went to the reception on our way out for an evening meal and reported all the problems. We were informed that the problems would be sorted out prior to our return by housekeeping. Upon oue return two hours laterthe only thing that had been done was trhe towels were folded up, NO cleaning had taken place. Due to the lateness of the hour I decided to report it after breakfast. Breakfast was very good. We reported the faults to the duty manager prior to checkout and got some rebate on our bill.
It is disappointing because the hotel looks beautiful but it is letdown by the attention to detail. There was also a leak in one of the corridors, coming through the wallpaper but that was still leaking when we left.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Burbage Leicestershire
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Comfortable rooms, excellent breakfast choice, good service in all departments. Drinks prices a bit expensive but probably comparable to other similar star rated hotels.

Room Tip: We had the king sized room which was very spacious
Hi Paul,
Many thanks for reviewing the hotel. I was pleased to hear that you had a good time. I do hope that you will come back to the hotel in the near future.
Suthwold
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My sister and i first stayed at Dunston for a spa break after a bereavement. We loved it so much. we returned a few months later with our partners, then our partners and teenage children,then we our friends and have now become 'regulars'. The place is absolutely amazing. All the staff we have met are friendly and helpful, the rooms we have stayed in have all be clean, tidy and smart and the food is amazing. In the many times we have been to Dunston all we have had one small problem, which we told reception about and it was dealt with immediately. With a personal apology from David, the manager, the following morning when he returned to work. The last time we visited we were served our meals by new members of staff, both a little nervous, but put as ease with banter.... Being in the hospatality business ourselves, we like perfection but know life isn't always so.... But Dunston hall is close....... Thank you David and staff xx

Room Tip: Just let the staff know what your trip is all about... they will find you the ideal room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Hi Suzie,
Many thanks for reviewing the hotel. It is always nice to see you and the family. I was pleased to meet up with you in reception before you left the last time. I know you are planning to come back in the summer. As normal let me know when you are coming and I will make sure we look after you.
YORKSHIRE
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Visited for lunch in the bar last Saturday. Initially the waiter ushered my family away from the bar counter to a table with the offer of taking an order straight away. After 15 mins he eventually took our order for a drink I could have ordered myself at the bar!! When it came to lunch, the food was very poor. The pork pie was frankly the worst I have tasted anywhere during the my extensive travels around the UK. Dry, thin pastry and no jelly. Served with piccalilli that was far too strong in taste that it wiped out any trace of pleasantness or enjoyment the pie or side salad may have offered, but didn't! A better option would be to serve the pie slightly warmed with a portion of mushy peas or cheese and celery. Our portion of fish and chips involved chips which had the taste and look of being re-fried. They certainly weren't fresh. This place needs to do an awful lot of work to improve the standard of lunches on offer in the bar area. I could quite easily have been having a look prior to giving the place consideration as a wedding or party venue, or for use in recommending it to business colleagues visiting Norwich. The standard of food has certainly put me off using the place for anything at all.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Jonny,
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was disapointed to hear about your experience in the bar. I have passed your feedback on to the kitchen team so they can address your feedback with the rest of the team. if you would like to discuss your feedback in more detail with me I am availaibe at the hotel daily on 01508470444 or you can email me at paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com
Best regards
Paul
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I've given this a 2 rating, though it's really somewhere between a 2 and a 3. Basically, the location is beautiful, the grounds, facilities and golf course deserve a 5; the public areas of the hotel are nicely done, even though they were wallpapering whle we were there so that gets a 4; the staff were okay, tried their best (all except the girl who handled our checkout) so that's a 3; but the rooms, well - a 2 at best and that's probably generous.

Much of what we found echo the thoughts of 'welltravelledNorfolk' - we were there around the same time, we had also booked two nights on their 2 for 1 offer and we stayed in the same room, though asked to be moved due to the state of the bed!

The rooms are tired, they have been poorly appointed using cheap end materials that simply cannot and have not stood up to the wear and tear of being a hotel. The inner doors are the cheapest four-panel doors you find in DIY stores, they close badly and ours had the handle falling off; the panelling around the bath and in the bathroom looks bad and damaged, when you look at it, you can see it's routed MDF made to look like wood which, once wet, has blown in places; the bed, well, I can't believe that a four-star hotel has beds like this - we have never had such a terrible bed in all the places we have stayed around the world!

The king size bed was two single style beds fastened together, so two separate matresses, which is hardly the same thing. The divan bases were so worn out, that when you lay on the bed, you sink further and further into the mattress as neither it or the base had any support. After 10 minutes of laying on it the first night, my husband had to call reception and ask for a different room as he knew he would not be able to move in the morning if he slept on that! We moved to another room down the hall and really, the bed was no better and he ended up sleeping on the floor! When we asked in the morning if all the beds were like that, we were told they were and the best they could do was put boards on the bed (between the mattress and the base) to see if that helped! It did help enough for us to sleep the next night but we had seriously considered going home as getting some decent sleep is part of a relaxing few days away! I cannot believe that all of their beds are of this poor quality!

If I had paid full price for this room (around £169 according to their website and from other reviews), I would have been extremely disappointed and would have felt very ripped off. I know we got a cheap deal but surely they are not putting people from that deal into poor rooms on purpose? There must be many people like us who are going there for the first time, who don't know that there are cheap/poor quality rooms and so would judge the whole place on this experience? If Dunstan Hall continues to rent out these poor rooms while claiming to be 4-star, then people are going to continue to voice their disappointment on sites such as this. Word of mouth marketing is stronger than ever these days and I'm surprised they are happy to take this risk.

I would check whether the rooms had been refurbished and new beds put in there before booking a room - especially if they want to put you in 426 or 427 as those are the two very poor rooms we have experience of.

Room Tip: Don't accept rooms 426 or 427 unless they can guarantee the rooms (especially the beds) have bee...
1 Thank zandrjh
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Many thanks for reviewing the hotel I was disapointed to hear about the issues with your rooms. I have passed on the feedback to the housekeeping team to ensure that they take action to prevent a repeat of what you experienced. We have also plans this year to refurbish the bedblock that you stayed in which will of course remove some of the issues that you mention.
Once gain many thansk for your feedback
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Holy Cross
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!