“Tired and in need of further refurbishment”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I booked two rooms for myself and my Mum for a 3 night break and a chance to revisit some old haunts of ours when we previously lived in Norwich. I thought I had made quite a good choice and was pleased to get it at a deal cheap enough to book us a room each. Thank goodness I did get a cheap deal!!!! If I had paid full price I would have demanded a refund and found somewhere else to stay. My disappointment began the moment we checked in. No porter service to assist with our cases . No great deal if you are fully mobile and your room is near to Reception but not many rooms are! Then despite the one booking for two rooms we werent put very close to each other. My first complaint resulted in keys to another room. Which was still occupied when I opened the door! Finally my third visit to Reception and a referral by the Receptionist to the Duty Manager found us moved again and upgraded to rooms opposite each other.
The grounds and the front of the building are certainly impressive and I had high expectations having viewed the Brochure online. Shame the inside doesn't match. Clearly some refurbishment has taken place but all in all many of the areas remain tired and feel unclean. I am sure the Housekeepers work hard but, never a truer saying than "you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear ". Carpets and decor are well worn particularly in the corridors which house the standard rooms. Some of the furniture in the Conservatory at the Bar area is not just well worn, it's dirty and quite frankly ready for the skip. On Monday morning the breakfast area looked like it hadn't been hoovered all weekend with food on the carpet and dirty tables. The whole place felt like it could do with a very good Spring clean and I almost offered my services and donned an apron.
The Hotel perhaps caters well for corporate events but in my opinion it is not the place to book if you wanting something special.

Room Tip: If you want similar quality to that provided by those national chains advertised on TV then you need...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Dianne S
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Dianne many thanks for your reveiw of the hotel. I was disapointed to read that you had experineced issues during your stay with us. I am sorry that this was the case. I would like an opportunity to discuss this in more detail with you should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel on a daily basis on 01508470444 or can be emailed at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
David

Write a ReviewReviews (2,841)

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Fantastic mini break making the most of the facilities. Wonderful spacious room with very comfortable king sized bed. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The Terrace Bar was an excellent place to chill with brilliant personal service of both drinks and bar snacks. The breakfast and Carvery was good too.

It was our second visit and we will be back!!

Dear Mike,
Many thanks for your review I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your time with us. I know this was your 2nd time to us and I hope that we will see you for a 3rd visit in the future.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

La Fontaine restaurant was excellent - intimate, great service and fantastic food
We ate out the 2 other nights - Wildebeast, Bird in Hand which were also excellent
Beauty Room - 2 excellent massages from very competent staff
Breakfast - appalling - tepid, low quality cooked buffet breakfast and moderate continental choice
Rooms - our 4 poster room was very large, nice view over the golf course but tired and in need of a deep clean - particularly the bathroom where the many corners/bath top were not at all clean
Check in - extremely painful - we had prebooked and prepaid but nevertheless they had given our specified room to someone else (not great when you take the time to pick as it is a wedding anniversary), made us pay again as their systems were slow due to a Bank Holiday more than a week ago and had the room rates wrong - making us produce the evidence of the rate we had booked and the specified room - and whilst they did ask us if we wanted a paper they then got it wrong on 2/3 days! It aslo bemuses me that we had booked the rate where wine should be in the room on arrival - it wasn't and then when it arrived it came without glasses!
The crazy golf is not worth the money - and needs repairing - 2 holes are broken - chute does not meet the ground - and many holes need pushing in as they are above the level of the green
This is a lovely old building and could be so much better - and bear in mind that due to the many functions some of the venues are not open to the guests - eg snug, terrace lounge

Room Tip: 205 has a nice view over the golf course
1  Thank TheWildCats
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Many thanks for reviewing the hotel. I was disapointed to read about some of the issues that you experienced. I would be delighted to disucss this with you in more deatil should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel on a daily basis on 01508470444 or you can email me on david.graham@devere-hotels.com
Once again many thanks for your review

Reviewed 14 April 2012

It might offer 'spa', 'golf' and an impressive old building but that's where the grandiose pretensions end. This place is all about 'bums on seats' or beds in this case and it shows! Sure if you, like us, get a cheap 3 night bookings.com deal at £69 per room per night inc. breakfast, its not bad but the place is remote with nothing but the fabulous nearby (£10 taxi ride each way) Wildebeest Arms pub/restaurant to go to.

The walk to our room was torturous at best, (terrible raw sewage smell on the lower levels) which made you gag before rising up two floors in an elevator that frankly scared the sh1T out of me due to the bumps, intermittent stops and not seeming to know what it was actually doing?? (We used the stairs afterwards).

On the plus side, the rooms are huge, the leisure facilities good, the staff wonderful and the breakfasts excellent. Its also a stones throw from the Norwich Park and ride!!

If you get it cheap, its great value. If you pay a lot and expect the 4 star it purports to offer you will be VERY sadly disappointed. Robbed might be a better word! Expect travel lodge, indoor pool with excellent breakfast and you'll be right on the mark!

Room Tip: Lower ground floor from reception might well stink of raw sewage! It did during the four days of our...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was disapointed to hear that you had not enjoyed elements of your stay. As with many hotels at this time of year we offer very attractive deals in the childrens holidays to attract families to stay in the UK for their holidays. I am sorry if you felt this created a poor impression as the hotel was indeed busy. Generally the feedback I have had over this time frame has been excellent. If you would like to discuss your stay in more depth I would be happy to do so i am avaialble at the hotel on 01508470444 or you can email me at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
Once again many thanks for reveiwing the hotel.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

My sister, sister in law and I stayed at Dunston Hall this week, we had a lovely time, breakfast and dinner were lovely and we also had dinner at a nearby pub ( Wilderbeast) which was very nice too.
The swimming pool , sauna , steam room and gym were all very nice, the water in the pool was just right for me, the jacuzzi pool worked non stop and was very warm.
All the staff from were very polite and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We could see the crazy golf course from our room, which we would have like to try, but we did not get time.
There is plenty to see and do in this area, on one day we went to Norwich which is only about 3 miles away, there is also a park and ride nearby, buses go right into the centre of Norwich.There was plenty of tourist information available in the hotel lobby.
The bedrooms were spacious with an ensuite with a bath and shower over, there are tea/ coffee making tray in the room, which was replinished by staff,there was an iron and ironing board, a hairdryer, free internet access is available throughout the hotel and in the rooms.
The bed was comfortable and there is plenty of wardrobe space, the room was large enough for a extra sofa bed as well as a table and chairs.
Thanks very much to all the staff at Dunston Hall, for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms on third floor as we have lovely views of the golf course and countryside.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do get a lot of feedback about the Wildebeast - it is a nice place to go for a treat. I do hope that you will considder coming to Dunston Hall when you are next in the Norfolk area.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stayed on a ' two night special' it was excellent. Great breakfast, superb surroundings and very pleasant and helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to review Dunston Hall - I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed your time with us. I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed here for one night on business, ive stayed a couple of times previously too without issue. The room was large and comfy, the bed was huge!! The pool and gym area are both good and the breakfast was great. My only grumble is the lack of plugs next to the bedside, there all odd shaped ones meaning I couldnt plug my phone in and have it next to the bed to use it as an alarm. The Wifi is available in all areas and was ver easy connect to and fast!

Room Tip: I beleive I was in a standard king and it was lovely, although from looking round, a ground floor ve...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Many thanks for reviewing the hotel. I was pleased to see that you had, had a good time with us. I have had a look at the plugs and indeed they are a wierd shape - I believe that they were put in for the lamps that are in the room. Next time you are here let us know and we can make sure we put you in a room where you are able to plug your phone in by the bed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Holy Cross
#1 of 1 in Crostwick
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coltishall

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!