Dunston Hall
US$98
US$94
  • Breakfast included
2,931 results
All reviewsgolf courseterrace bardeluxe roomspa breakevening meallovely groundsmain barsteam roomleisure facilitiesfour posterplay golfnight breakpark and ridebirthday treatshort breaklovely roombiscuits
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed at Dunstan Hall on a wine & dine package for a night out to celebrate our anniversary. The approach to the hall is impressive, parking easy and check in swift - we were early but the room was ready.
The package was supposed to have a bottle of wine in the room on arrival, this wasn't there but was supplied after a call to reception. I was a little disappointed to find a standard double bed - I am over 6 ft and find standard beds uncomfortable My wife had booked a spa treatment, so while she was being pampered I checked out the gym.
There was a good selection of cardio and resistance machines spread over 2 floors and 5 rooms. No one on the desk, but a sign informed me that guests needed to book in at the pool reception. After about 90 minutes workout I went back to the weight room and found a more 'mature' lady stuck on one of the benches unable to get up. I helped her and she told me she had been stuck there for about 5 minutes with no one around to help. This made me realise that I hadn't seen a member of staff in the gym for the whole 90 minutes.
My wife tells me the spa was good, with friendly professional staff and not too expensive.
The evening meal was supposed to be from the 3 course buffet but we elected to chose from the menu. A good range of choices, well prepared and tasty. Service was quick, including the drinks.
After dinner we checked out the bar (just for research of course). I was glad to see a selection of real beer on handpump, a wide selection of spirits too.
A visit to the pool in the morning was refreshing, with a steam room, sauna and a whirlpool (with quite cold water). Breakfast was just an average hot buffet with a reasonable choice of dishes, fruit and continental available.
Overall, a good choice for a relaxing break.

2  Thank John T
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, I can see that you were able to make full use of all of the facilities which is great. I have passed on the feedback about the lady stuck in thev gym as this does concern me from a H&S point of view. I do hope that you will considder using Dunston Hall again in the future.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I booked two rooms for myself and my Mum for a 3 night break and a chance to revisit some old haunts of ours when we previously lived in Norwich. I thought I had made quite a good choice and was pleased to get it at a deal cheap enough to book us a room each. Thank goodness I did get a cheap deal!!!! If I had paid full price I would have demanded a refund and found somewhere else to stay. My disappointment began the moment we checked in. No porter service to assist with our cases . No great deal if you are fully mobile and your room is near to Reception but not many rooms are! Then despite the one booking for two rooms we werent put very close to each other. My first complaint resulted in keys to another room. Which was still occupied when I opened the door! Finally my third visit to Reception and a referral by the Receptionist to the Duty Manager found us moved again and upgraded to rooms opposite each other.
The grounds and the front of the building are certainly impressive and I had high expectations having viewed the Brochure online. Shame the inside doesn't match. Clearly some refurbishment has taken place but all in all many of the areas remain tired and feel unclean. I am sure the Housekeepers work hard but, never a truer saying than "you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear ". Carpets and decor are well worn particularly in the corridors which house the standard rooms. Some of the furniture in the Conservatory at the Bar area is not just well worn, it's dirty and quite frankly ready for the skip. On Monday morning the breakfast area looked like it hadn't been hoovered all weekend with food on the carpet and dirty tables. The whole place felt like it could do with a very good Spring clean and I almost offered my services and donned an apron.
The Hotel perhaps caters well for corporate events but in my opinion it is not the place to book if you wanting something special.

Room Tip: If you want similar quality to that provided by those national chains advertised on TV then you need to book a Deluxe room however that means a deluxe price unless you can get a deal!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Dianne S
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Dianne many thanks for your reveiw of the hotel. I was disapointed to read that you had experineced issues during your stay with us. I am sorry that this was the case. I would like an opportunity to discuss this in more detail with you should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel on a daily basis on 01508470444 or can be emailed at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Fantastic mini break making the most of the facilities. Wonderful spacious room with very comfortable king sized bed. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The Terrace Bar was an excellent place to chill with brilliant personal service of both drinks and bar snacks. The breakfast and Carvery was good too.

It was our second visit and we will be back!!

Dear Mike,
Many thanks for your review I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your time with us. I know this was your 2nd time to us and I hope that we will see you for a 3rd visit in the future.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

La Fontaine restaurant was excellent - intimate, great service and fantastic food
We ate out the 2 other nights - Wildebeast, Bird in Hand which were also excellent
Beauty Room - 2 excellent massages from very competent staff
Breakfast - appalling - tepid, low quality cooked buffet breakfast and moderate continental choice
Rooms - our 4 poster room was very large, nice view over the golf course but tired and in need of a deep clean - particularly the bathroom where the many corners/bath top were not at all clean
Check in - extremely painful - we had prebooked and prepaid but nevertheless they had given our specified room to someone else (not great when you take the time to pick as it is a wedding anniversary), made us pay again as their systems were slow due to a Bank Holiday more than a week ago and had the room rates wrong - making us produce the evidence of the rate we had booked and the specified room - and whilst they did ask us if we wanted a paper they then got it wrong on 2/3 days! It aslo bemuses me that we had booked the rate where wine should be in the room on arrival - it wasn't and then when it arrived it came without glasses!
The crazy golf is not worth the money - and needs repairing - 2 holes are broken - chute does not meet the ground - and many holes need pushing in as they are above the level of the green
This is a lovely old building and could be so much better - and bear in mind that due to the many functions some of the venues are not open to the guests - eg snug, terrace lounge

Room Tip: 205 has a nice view over the golf course
1  Thank TheWildCats
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Many thanks for reviewing the hotel. I was disapointed to read about some of the issues that you experienced. I would be delighted to disucss this with you in more deatil should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel on a daily basis on 01508470444 or you can email me on david.graham@devere-hotels.com
Once again many thanks for your review

Reviewed 14 April 2012

It might offer 'spa', 'golf' and an impressive old building but that's where the grandiose pretensions end. This place is all about 'bums on seats' or beds in this case and it shows! Sure if you, like us, get a cheap 3 night bookings.com deal at £69 per room per night inc. breakfast, its not bad but the place is remote with nothing but the fabulous nearby (£10 taxi ride each way) Wildebeest Arms pub/restaurant to go to.

The walk to our room was torturous at best, (terrible raw sewage smell on the lower levels) which made you gag before rising up two floors in an elevator that frankly scared the sh1T out of me due to the bumps, intermittent stops and not seeming to know what it was actually doing?? (We used the stairs afterwards).

On the plus side, the rooms are huge, the leisure facilities good, the staff wonderful and the breakfasts excellent. Its also a stones throw from the Norwich Park and ride!!

If you get it cheap, its great value. If you pay a lot and expect the 4 star it purports to offer you will be VERY sadly disappointed. Robbed might be a better word! Expect travel lodge, indoor pool with excellent breakfast and you'll be right on the mark!

Room Tip: Lower ground floor from reception might well stink of raw sewage! It did during the four days of our stay and having to get to our room via it made us want to heave daily!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was disapointed to hear that you had not enjoyed elements of your stay. As with many hotels at this time of year we offer very attractive deals in the childrens holidays to attract families to stay in the UK for their holidays. I am sorry if you felt this created a poor impression as the hotel was indeed busy. Generally the feedback I have had over this time frame has been excellent. If you would like to discuss your stay in more depth I would be happy to do so i am avaialble at the hotel on 01508470444 or you can email me at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
Once again many thanks for reveiwing the hotel.