“Good for a short break”

Dunston Hall
Frinton on Sea
“Good for a short break”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Booked a 2 night short break at a bargain price. Excellent value. Room large with good view.
Bed comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. We had the carvery for dinner both nights as we got a 'two for one' deal. This also was good, although I wouldn't want to pay the full price. Had gone there so my husband and brother-in-law could play golf but this didn't materialise because of the weather. We played crazy golf and used the swimming pool ,sauna, etc. Rooms a little tired but clean. Would defintely return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My brother, mother and I went for a two night adults-only break on 30 March and had a wonderful stay at this peaceful hotel. We needed time to get away from very busy lives full of lots of children and work pressures, and just have the space to relax. The hotel is clean, elegant, and conveniently situated, and the staff were very helpful. The spa was great, good value and well trained friendly therapists. Food was sensibly priced; wine and beer also. We had two double rooms and a suite with a separate living room which worked really well as we could order in a bottle of wine at sundown and relax and enjoy ourselves ahead of dinner. My brother played a good round of golf, the girls enjoyed the spa, and we came back rested and happy. What more could you ask for? Would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Many thanks for your review of the hotel - I was delighted to read that you had, had a peacful time. I know that the team will be delighted to read that you had enjoyed the service during you time with us. I hope that the next time you need to escape for a while you will ocnsidder using Dunston Hall.
spalding
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We booked in on a two nights for the price of one deal that they had recently which meant that it proved to be a well priced deal. Initially when we booked in we were allocated a twin room which when we opened the door seemed very gloomy. I couldn't understand why the windows were frosted, but on opening them I discovered that they opened straight into another room (the conference room apparently!) My husband wasn't hopeful that they would give us another room, but I thought I would give it a try. The receptionist was very helpful, but was struggling to find any other vacant room. A man was also at reception (the manager) who stepped in to help her and informed me that they could move me into a different room (which actually turned out to be a luxury room) with patio doors out onto the grass - what a difference! This was a lovely room with two big beds in it - what a change! We had a drink a couple of times and yes, it was more expensive, but then what would you expect for a hotel, but the service was good and the staff were friendly and we just enjoyed 'chilling out'. We both had a sandwich which was really nice and my husband had a lovely piece of homemade cake, so no complaints there at all! Breakfast was a little disjointed on the first day as it was difficult to locate our waiter/ress, but on the second day service was really good, breakfast was plentiful and was being replenished on a regular basis. I also went in the pool, which was a little difficult to find, maybe it was me but there wasn't actually a notice on the door just a sort of lounge area through some glass, but once found the pool was nice and of a good size. We enjoyed Norwich, especially the market, as we brought home some lovely seafood which the fishmonger obligingly packed in ice for us. All in all we had a lovely time away and would recommend Dunstan Hall (not the room overlooking the conference room though!) One other thing that was really useful - it is only a short drive to the park and ride which is really easy and not expensive, well worth doing if you plan to go into Norwich.

Room Tip: Mind out for the rooms that overlook the conference room, check when you book in, because they are d...
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Many thanks for reviewing the hotel. I was really pelased to read that we were able to move rooms for you. I know that the reception team work hard to make sure that guests get the room that they want for their stay. I do hope that you will considder using Dunston Hall again in the future.
surrey
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked a bargain price 3 night stay, b and b.

Great value....excellent breakfast with freshly cooked fish to order and friendly, efficient staff.

Our room clean and comfortable and all public areas smart and impressive.

Lovely grounds and facilities.

Would return if in area.

Room Tip: We had a long walk to our room which involved carrying cases up stairs.
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Many thanks for reviewing the hotel , I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay. I know thatt he offers we do are great value for money. I hope that you will continue to use these offers as and when you can.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked a 2 day mini break on offer and glad it was . If we had paid the full price we would have been rather annoyed. Room was tired , overlooked a conference room and was generally disappointing. Breakfast was Ok though although evening meal was served cold .

Have stayed in many four star plus hotels and find this place very much a case of style over substance. Grand entrance up to fantastic looking building. However a lot of the public areas are very tired looking .

Overall was OK but wouldn't bother staying again

Disappointing

1 Thank willie1899
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Many thanks for your review - I was disapointed to read that you had not enjoyed your stay. I would be delighted to discuss this in more detail should you wish to do so. I am at the hotel on a daily basis and can be contacted on 01508470444 or email at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
Essex
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My wife and I arrived at Dunston Hall on Thursday 19th April 2012 to celebrate 32 years of marriage. What a grand site the hotel looked as we drove up to the car park. That's the good bit!
I had booked a suite overlooking the golf course. On 1st impression the room did not look too bad, it was well worn but I had expected that after reading some of the reviews.
We decided to go to the Spa for a swim. The swimming pool is dirty, ceiling tiles are loose,it looks nothing like the photo on De Vere's website! The steam room was out of order, the changing rooms and showers were disgusting.
There was no safety deposit box in the room and to our horror on Friday having spent the day in Norwich we discovered that the cleaning staff had left the door bolt out which had kept our door ajar. Thankfully nothing appeared to be missing. I called the duty manager who apologised.
At dinner the starters, main and desserts are a repeat each night, although no imagination or presentation, the food was reasonable but the service and etiquette from untrained youngsters was very poor.
On closer inspection of our suite it proved to be filthy as the photo's indicate. The trouser press had 2 sharp springs poking out of it. The sofa, chairs, carpets and shower were filthy.
The final straw was seeing a jug of milk on our breakfast table with 2 objects floating in it and a dirty rim inside where it had not been washed for days. On our way back to our room I took a photo of a mouldy laundry bin in the corridor.
On checking out we asked to speak to the duty manager who offered us to come back to give them a chance to show us a different experience. We declined but accepted a 50% discount, we simply would not like to stay there again!
The weekend before we stayed at the 5 star Luton Hoo Hotel and Spa which was truly 5 star experience..
Dunston Hall in its current state of need of redecoration and new management. In our opinion is 2 star.
All the lower rate reviews are very factual, read them, don't waste your time and money in going to this poorly managed run down hotel. Never again at a De Vere hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at home!
6 Thank Rob W
Dear Rob,
Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was very disapointed to hear about your experience with us. I know you spoke with the Duty Manager on departure who resolved your issues with you. i would be happy to discuss your review with you in more detail should you wish to do so. I can be contacted daily on 01508470444 or can be emailed at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
I look forward to speaking with you in the next few days

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Booked a two night dinner, bed & breakfast break with two rounds of golf. Hotel was lovely and the food was excellent. My wife is a Coeliac and that often causes problems at hotels, not at Dunston Hall. They had gluten free bread ready for breakfast and gluten free gravy ready for the evening carvery. All the staff were very friendly and efficient.

The golf course and club house are also very good as it the health club. We would definitely go back again.

1 Thank Paul D
Dear John,
Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your golf break with us. I know in this day and age there are many dietary requirements and we do try to cater for all where possible. I do hope that you will considder using Dunston Hall again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Holy Cross
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!