“Do yourself a favour”

Dunston Hall
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Do yourself a favour”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The driveway and approach to this hotel increase your expectation of what is to come, but sadly you have then seen the high point.
This has the potential to be beautiful and classy hotel but sadly it falls well short. It is an old building so it is not surprising that, with the wood paneling, it looks dark but more importantly it also looks rather sad and a little grubby.
The food in the lounge was very nice but tables were not cleared regularly enough and not wiped at all from what I could see. Drinks in the clubhouse were an eye watering price, over £11 for a half of guinness and a glass of wine.
With regard to golf - the greens played well and the course is pleasantly mature and interesting but lacking grooming with club scraping stones in the bunkers. The buggy was full of gravel, litter, and grass and looked as if it hadn't been cleaned for many rounds. Outside of the clubhouse was the most offensive smell of drains which made the outside seats rather redundant despite the sunshine.
Overall, if you can get a really good deal and turn a blind eye to shortcomings then it is possibly worth it but, bear in mind, you will pay a high price for drinks.
My advice would be to do yourself a favour, pay perhaps £10 more, cross to the other side of Norwich and stay at the much classier Marriott Sprowston Manor, it is in another league.

DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel- I was disapointed to hear about the issues you experienced. I have passed your feedback on to the golf team about the course. I am suprised that the course was not up to standard you were expecting especially as the team have worked very hard to ensure that the course is looking good. i do hope that you will considder Dunston Hall again in the future for a golf break.
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Polish first
Ipswich - Uk
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Wonderful setting, but a mixed stay.

The driveway had some potholes that needed to be watched as you arrived, however the building itself is quite impressive. More potholes in the car park, one of which my wife described very aptly as a crater.

The reception area looked nice but I was dismayed to find I was number eight in a queue to check in. There was a mix up over payment when we checked in and were told it would be sorted out, but the problem was still there when we checked out.

Bedroom was OK, if slightly dated, and I slept soundly in the bed. However the bathroom was woeful!! Tarnished bath fittings showed it had been there a long time, the sealant was showing signs of mould and the grout at the shower end was in need of a good clean. The toilet pan had water stains and part of the panel behind was rotting away which was obviously due to being wet on numerous occasions.

We used the swimming pool, etc. but this area was showing signs of being tired and could do with refurbishment.

Bar area was nice and led out onto a lovely terrace. Only problem was the cigarette ends, the hotel had put out enough ashtrays but the guests obviously prefer to stub out on the ground. Now I appreciate that this is the guests, and not the hotels, fault but it is an issue that the hotel should deal with by clearing up on a regular basis. If there are less butts on the ground it may persuade others to use the ashtrays.

The food in the restaurant was good but once again some of the furniture was starting to look sad.

Without exception the staff were friendly, polite and helpful.

This is obviously a very busy place but I wonder if the people working there are not seeing that it is getting very tired and needs quite a bit of refurbishment.

We had a nice time, but it could have been a whole lot better.

DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was disapointed to read that you had experienced issues during your stay. I have passed the feeback on to the relevant department heads so they can address the issues with their teams.
I do know that we do have plans to do some refurbishment in the hotel including some of the bedrooms and resurfacing parts of the carpark. I am aware of the issues in the carpark and I am pushing to have this area sorted out.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This beautiful old country house in a picturesque location provides a comfortable stay with welcoming and friendly staff and good facilities, particularly for those who appreciate sport. Facilities include opportunities to play golf, swim and gym. Food is hearty and alternatives are available for those with specific dietary needs like gluten free options. A range of rooms are available according to budget and we stayed in a basic option which proved to be clean and well attended to by staff. My only suggestions would be the bathroom could do with updating and development of a path along the golf course for walkers who do not play golf will be a bonus. I would highly recommend this place to friends and family visiting from abroad.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Many thanks for your review of the hotel . I was delighted that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken on board your feedback about walks - we do offer a number of suggestions for walks around the area, indeed there is a very nice Roman village ruin nearby that is a fantastic place to walk with pleanty to see.
I do hope you will come back to the hotel for a break in the near future.
Surrey
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This hotel is trying to be all things to all people ... golfers, wedding parties, conferences, weekenders, fitness fanatics etc. It looks lovely from the outside but inside is very complicated to navigate and you end up back where you started having gone up and down and round ... not so good when it takes 3 tries to find a room which is not actually already occupied! Having said that the food is good and the price is OK for dinner bed and breakfast. Most of the staff are very nice - especially in the brasserie and the complimentary bottle of wine for our troubles (the 3 room saga) went some way to making it amusing. The pool is a good size for swimming but all the facilities do look a little tired. The showers are a trickle both in the leisure centre and in the room but still managing to run accross the bathroom floor.
So, the bottom line is that this is a lovely hotel so long as you favour good atmosphere over all the niceties of staying in a 4 star hotel. Feeling welcome gets my vote every time...

Room Tip: Ask someone to show you to your room.
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed many elements of your stay. I know that we had, had some issues with our systems last week which meant that we had a number of issues with guests being given keys to occupied rooms. This is not accpetable and clearly embarassing. I apologise that this has happened and I can assure you that the system issue is resolved.
I do hop that this will not prevent you from visiting the hotel in the future.
Brigstock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed one night but took two rooms. Pleasantly surprised by the Penthouse which is potentially fabulous. Rather hot though and you can't open the windows (it wasn't a very warm night either!) They have provided an assortment of fans.
It was a horribly wet day and night so could not enjoy the fabulous grounds :(
The pool area is tatty in places and looks in need of a good clean!
Our dinner was fine but the dining room was freezing due the air con (which was turned off on request)
We had an issue with noise from a function. We had not been pre-warned and it was very loud until 11.30pm. We had a small child and were needed an early night ourselves or it probably wouldn't have bothered us) The complaint was dealt with efficiently with an adjustment to the bill. Thank you.
Thought the beauty salon was too expensive and just had a quick bit of essential maintenance!
The hotel needs a major refurbishment to bring it into this era but I would say the tariffs reflect this. The staff were very nice and can only work with what they have!

Room Tip: check if there is a function and ask for a room on the other side from the marquee if you are not a...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane J
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was disapointed to read that elements of your stay were not as you had hoped. I have passed on your feedback to the housekeeping team about your room. I know that we have started refurbishing areas of the hotel, receptino was done recently and we are looking to refurbish a number of bedrooms in the new year.
I do hope that you will considder returning to Dunston Hall in the future.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Not a personal or intimate place to stay. Grand exterior and extensive facilities. If you like crowds, this could be for you? Enough space for a golf course plus 5 functions simultaneously.
So maybe that's why the rooms aren't as well cleaned as many places that I stay at for more competitive prices? Premium pricing for weekends is fine but standards should be maintained.
Room cleanliness was poor, decor was worn but might be excusable If the right attention was paid to mould in the bathroom, dust and dirt in the bedroom and "slime" in the kettle!
Most of the front of house staff were first rate. Some of the support crew seemed over stretched? Saving staffing costs with a buffet style breakfast is fine but if you "slop" orange juice all over the place when refilling the dispenser, apologize to the waiting customers and clean it up! Unimpressed and feedback left for the hotel as requested on the supplied card.

DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Robert,
Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed your stay with us. I was particularly disapointed to hear your feedback on the room. I have passed this information on to the housekeeper to ensure she picks this up with her staff.
I would be delighted to speak with you about this, I am available at the hotel daily on 01508470444 or can be emailed at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.
Somerset
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at Dunston Hall in February and were so happy to return in July. This is an excellent well run hotel with staff for whom nothing is too much trouble. Our spacious room was spotlessly clean and very quiet. The bed was so comfortable. The restaurant staff are particularly friendly and helpful. Breakfast and Dinner offer fresh good quality food. I used the beauty salon and found this also to a high standard. I understand that the hotel was full and also had at least two weddings on but there were plenty of staff on duty at all times. We are more than happy to recommend this hotel to anyone.

DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Many thanks for your review - It is always nice to see our regular guests returning and having a good time. I know the team work really hard to make sure that everyone has a great time and it is fantastic that they get recognition from our guests. I do hope that we will see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Holy Cross
#4 of 50 in Norwich
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!