3,090 results
All reviewsgolf courseterrace bardeluxe roomspa breakevening mealsteam roommain barlovely groundsleisure facilitiesfour posterplay golfnight breakpark and ridebirthday treatshort breaklovely roombiscuits
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed for one night on business. The hotel looks spectacular on arrival and the location is excellent. When I stayed there was a mix of business customers and families/couples so a nice feel to the hotel. The carvery was excellent and breakfast also. The gym is pretty poorly equipped with free weights, the pool could be very nice as it appears like a spa pool at first glance, however the tiling is more public baths than spa like. It was also a bit grim in places such as the ladders. The gym itself is very warm and I wouldn't pay to use it. As it was free it was ok. My room was very spacious and well equipped but the bathroom could do with refurbishment. If I had been a "paying" guest I would be disappointed but I was satisfied as a business customer, if not wowed by the place. It was good enough for the Ajax Amsterdam football team though as they were staying there atte time, so can't be that bad! The locals tell me standards have slipped, but I couldn't fault the service, it old just do with some updating to become a really wonderful hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I am aware that areas of the hotel require some refurmbishment and this is planned for the begining of next year. I do hope that you will come back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We spend a two night break here using a De Vere offer of 2 nights B&B for £88 !..Ok the hotel is a bit tired in places but the room was clean and comfortable. We used the swimming pool and spa which was great for my Sciatica !.We even played crazy golf. The restaurant offers A La Carte as well as a Carvery @ £14.50 or 'specials' each evening (i.e Chinese, Indian etc) The Terrace bar was very comfortable to relax in with plenty of armchairs and the bar prices were not a 'rip off'. Very polite and helpful staff throughout the hotel. If you play golf the course looks great . The hotel is set in the midst of Pine Trees and looks a little like Hogwarts...a really enjoyable and relaxing time !!

Room Tip: Our room did not have air conditioning and only one window and as it was SW facing it became a little hot..so would suggest a room facing East/North
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel - I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I know August is proving very poular as we have some great deals on offer this month. I do hope you will come back to Dunston Hall in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my partner as a little getaway and to celebrate his new job. We first pulled up the long drive and was impressed at how grand and beautiful the building was! It really is stunning. Check in was swift and the staff were friendly and informative. We stayed in a four poster suite which was nice but slightly dated and in need of refurbishment. There was a 2 foot thread bare patch in the carpet, and also the hot water tap in the his and hers sink was not working properly - but these were minor gripes. The room itself was very large and comfortable, and the bed was luxuriously soft.
We decided to have dinner in the hotel which was a mixed bag. We both opted for the Indian buffet which we both thought tasted slightly bland, especially as we paid £17 each for it. My partner also ordered a bottle of prosseco but it took the waiters 30 mins to tell us that they had run out!!! We had practically finished our meal by then... Not impressed. Although this was resolved by them offering us a bottle of champagne for the same price. After dinner, we decided to go on the terrace to finish our champagne and was about to sit on the white bench there, however, luckily my partner told me that the seat was wet with paint!!!! No signs anywhere! Luckily he checked it with his hand before we sat down, but even still, paint managed to get onto his suit trousers. We were not impressed. He complained to reception that paint had gone on his trousers etc, in which the manager apologised, and offered to pay for dry cleaning which he accepted. Overall, a lovely hotel, but with a few tweaks here and there, it could well be one of the best hotels in the area. We would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Adam,
Many thanks for your review of the hotel - I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed the majority of your stay with us. I was disapointed to read your comments about the length of wait for a bottle of proseco that we did not have. I have spoken to the team about this and I have asked them to review their stock levels for the coming month.
I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

There was a time when Dunston Hall was exclusive and I can understand why (in difficult economic times) it is necessary to widen the appeal of such places to keep the customers coming in, but unlike our previous visit we didn't feel special on this visit. The restaurant is much more "mass-market" than it needs to be and there were several basic errors in the restaurant service; for a table to 2 why, for instance, did our starters appear 5 minutes apart? and why was a napkin not put under the ice bucket on the next table to absorb the condensation? when the couple arrived their table was flooded. Why did the waiter find it so difficult to open our wine? It also took ages to get served tea/coffee at breakfast) When we checked out most other guests seemed to have some sort of gripe - nothing major, but others clearly also found areas where they felt let down. Was it enjoyable? Yes, it was. Did we have as much enjoyment as the final bill might suggest we should have had? No. We won't be returning, not as the result of any major complaint, simply because there is much better value for money to be had elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rieslingnut

Many thanks for your review of the hotel - I was sorry to hear that you had not enjoyed your visit as much on this occasion. I have passed your comments to the restaurant management team and have asked them to review the service that they are offering as I would agree with you that those points do not seem in keeping with the normal service levels.
I know that August we do have a very different business mix to other times of the year due to the school holidays however thsi is the case every August.
I am sorry that you will not be returning to Dunston Hall in the future however if I am able to change your mind please feel free to cotnact me at the hotel on 01508470444 or I can be emailed at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

Stayed here for a few nights break with my daughter and grandchildren. The first view of Dunston Hall at the end of an impressively long driveway is wonderful. The main house is a stunning building with an impressive setting. The reception area had just been decorated and refurbished and looked smart and welcoming. The reception staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed in a deluxe room which was lovely - very large and modern with good sized bathroom and the beds were extremely comfortable. Our room opened out onto a small private paved patio with table and chairs which looked out across lawn and was perfect for sitting out with a glass of wine or cup of tea in the evening while the children were settling for the night. For golf lovers there is a 71 US PGA rated course and there is also a spa and swimming pool with sauna and steam room plus a gymnasium. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and based on our experience would be happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Worth going for a deluxe room if your budget allows and request a ground floor room with its own patio, especially if you are staying during warmer months.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for your reveiw of the hotel - I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I know the ground floor rooms in the deluxe wing are very popular becasue of the patio's - its a great space for the kids to use. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.