3,090 results
All reviewsgolf courseterrace bardeluxe roomspa breakevening mealsteam roommain barlovely groundsleisure facilitiesfour posterplay golfnight breakpark and ridebirthday treatshort breaklovely roombiscuits
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Beautiful drive up to the hotel. From the internet was expecting great things. We were a party of 4 for a spa break. Reception seemed a little vague about what they were doing. Couldnt check in any earlier than 3pm. Said we would try again at 1.30 to see if our rooms were ready as we were due to have spa treatments at 2pm. At that point we were told "well you can try" with an aire of indifference. Not a good start.

Spa treatments were great although the reception area was too small to cope with the amount of people there, it was standing room only.

When we eventually got into our rooms had a brick wall for a view. Bathroom not clean and very shabby. Showers definitely need sorting out.

Restaurant average, not 4 star. Breakfast average and had run out of a lot of things, ie. glasses, orange juice.

The hotel fully booked with weddings and other events. Was unable to find a seat anywhere in the bars to sit and have a drink so had to take back to our room. Drinks extortionately over priced.

Overall experience was very disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yvonne C
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Yvonne,
Many thanks for your review I was disapointed to read that you had experineced issues during your stay with us. I have passed the feedback on to the relevant heads of department so they can take the nescessary steps to improve the service levels in their area. i would be delighted to speak to you in more detail about your stay should you wish to do so - i am available on 01508470444 or can be emailed at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
I look forward to speaking to you in the next few days

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stunning location and exterior. Generally OK interior but some modern materials and designs used which don't compliment the special qualities of the building. There were 3 weddings on the evening we visited so the spaces outside was limited when we tried to find a table for a pre dinner drink. Although we had booked a table and were seated relatively quickly, we then waited half an hour for one of bottle of wine! The company made the evening lovely but the service in the restaurant and the standard of food left alot of room for improvement. The food was the level you would expect in a cheaper, more functional hotel. Edible but nothing special or exciting. The waiting staff were always friendly but certianly not efficient. The bar staff were much better.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Kat,
Many thanks for yoru review about your experience with us. I was sorry to hear that the service and the food were not as you had expected. I would be delighted to speak with you in more detail . I can be contacted daily at the hotel on 01508470444 or emailed at paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com.
I look forward to speaking with you in the next few days.
Paul Murfitt
Food and Beverage Director.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed for one night on business. The hotel looks spectacular on arrival and the location is excellent. When I stayed there was a mix of business customers and families/couples so a nice feel to the hotel. The carvery was excellent and breakfast also. The gym is pretty poorly equipped with free weights, the pool could be very nice as it appears like a spa pool at first glance, however the tiling is more public baths than spa like. It was also a bit grim in places such as the ladders. The gym itself is very warm and I wouldn't pay to use it. As it was free it was ok. My room was very spacious and well equipped but the bathroom could do with refurbishment. If I had been a "paying" guest I would be disappointed but I was satisfied as a business customer, if not wowed by the place. It was good enough for the Ajax Amsterdam football team though as they were staying there atte time, so can't be that bad! The locals tell me standards have slipped, but I couldn't fault the service, it old just do with some updating to become a really wonderful hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I am aware that areas of the hotel require some refurmbishment and this is planned for the begining of next year. I do hope that you will come back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We spend a two night break here using a De Vere offer of 2 nights B&B for £88 !..Ok the hotel is a bit tired in places but the room was clean and comfortable. We used the swimming pool and spa which was great for my Sciatica !.We even played crazy golf. The restaurant offers A La Carte as well as a Carvery @ £14.50 or 'specials' each evening (i.e Chinese, Indian etc) The Terrace bar was very comfortable to relax in with plenty of armchairs and the bar prices were not a 'rip off'. Very polite and helpful staff throughout the hotel. If you play golf the course looks great . The hotel is set in the midst of Pine Trees and looks a little like Hogwarts...a really enjoyable and relaxing time !!

Room Tip: Our room did not have air conditioning and only one window and as it was SW facing it became a little hot..so would suggest a room facing East/North
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel - I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I know August is proving very poular as we have some great deals on offer this month. I do hope you will come back to Dunston Hall in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my partner as a little getaway and to celebrate his new job. We first pulled up the long drive and was impressed at how grand and beautiful the building was! It really is stunning. Check in was swift and the staff were friendly and informative. We stayed in a four poster suite which was nice but slightly dated and in need of refurbishment. There was a 2 foot thread bare patch in the carpet, and also the hot water tap in the his and hers sink was not working properly - but these were minor gripes. The room itself was very large and comfortable, and the bed was luxuriously soft.
We decided to have dinner in the hotel which was a mixed bag. We both opted for the Indian buffet which we both thought tasted slightly bland, especially as we paid £17 each for it. My partner also ordered a bottle of prosseco but it took the waiters 30 mins to tell us that they had run out!!! We had practically finished our meal by then... Not impressed. Although this was resolved by them offering us a bottle of champagne for the same price. After dinner, we decided to go on the terrace to finish our champagne and was about to sit on the white bench there, however, luckily my partner told me that the seat was wet with paint!!!! No signs anywhere! Luckily he checked it with his hand before we sat down, but even still, paint managed to get onto his suit trousers. We were not impressed. He complained to reception that paint had gone on his trousers etc, in which the manager apologised, and offered to pay for dry cleaning which he accepted. Overall, a lovely hotel, but with a few tweaks here and there, it could well be one of the best hotels in the area. We would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Adam,
Many thanks for your review of the hotel - I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed the majority of your stay with us. I was disapointed to read your comments about the length of wait for a bottle of proseco that we did not have. I have spoken to the team about this and I have asked them to review their stock levels for the coming month.
I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future.