3,138 results
All reviews golf course terrace bar deluxe room spa break evening meal main bar steam room lovely grounds leisure facilities four poster play golf night break waiting staff park and ride birthday treat short break buffet style
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We were staying for our anniversary for 1 night. We had to que for 20 minutes at check in which was far too long. I had booked a suite as a special treat but was massively disappointed with the standard of the room, it wad tired and old and in desperate need if modernising when u compare it with similar standards hotels. The bathroom was not particularly clean, the room was far too hot with noisey air conditioning and the mattress was worse than the one we have just thrown out. It was all the same story in the leisure facilities except the pool was freezing, we only stayed in for 20 minutes which was annoying as we specifically picked a hotel with a pool. The public areas of the hotel are very nice so I can only assume that the rooms and leisure facilities r on a list to b upgraded, we will not b going back until they do.

On the positive side the staff and food were very
Good and when I complained on checkout they knocked 20% of my bill which somewhat made up for the poor room. This was a frustrating experience as there was so much to love about the place and I would happily pay more for better quality rooms and leisure facilities, come on de vere sort this out and this will b a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was disappointed to read about the issues you experienced during your stay. I know that there are parts of the hotel that do require refurbishment and this is planned for the begining of next year. i was pelased to read that the staff had made your stay more enjoyable. I do hope that once we have completed the refurbishment you will come back to the hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Beautiful drive up to the hotel. From the internet was expecting great things. We were a party of 4 for a spa break. Reception seemed a little vague about what they were doing. Couldnt check in any earlier than 3pm. Said we would try again at 1.30 to see if our rooms were ready as we were due to have spa treatments at 2pm. At that point we were told "well you can try" with an aire of indifference. Not a good start.

Spa treatments were great although the reception area was too small to cope with the amount of people there, it was standing room only.

When we eventually got into our rooms had a brick wall for a view. Bathroom not clean and very shabby. Showers definitely need sorting out.

Restaurant average, not 4 star. Breakfast average and had run out of a lot of things, ie. glasses, orange juice.

The hotel fully booked with weddings and other events. Was unable to find a seat anywhere in the bars to sit and have a drink so had to take back to our room. Drinks extortionately over priced.

Overall experience was very disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yvonne C

Dear Yvonne,
Many thanks for your review I was disapointed to read that you had experineced issues during your stay with us. I have passed the feedback on to the relevant heads of department so they can take the nescessary steps to improve the service levels in their area. i would be delighted to speak to you in more detail about your stay should you wish to do so - i am available on 01508470444 or can be emailed at david.graham@devere-hotels.com.
I look forward to speaking to you in the next few days

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stunning location and exterior. Generally OK interior but some modern materials and designs used which don't compliment the special qualities of the building. There were 3 weddings on the evening we visited so the spaces outside was limited when we tried to find a table for a pre dinner drink. Although we had booked a table and were seated relatively quickly, we then waited half an hour for one of bottle of wine! The company made the evening lovely but the service in the restaurant and the standard of food left alot of room for improvement. The food was the level you would expect in a cheaper, more functional hotel. Edible but nothing special or exciting. The waiting staff were always friendly but certianly not efficient. The bar staff were much better.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Kat,
Many thanks for yoru review about your experience with us. I was sorry to hear that the service and the food were not as you had expected. I would be delighted to speak with you in more detail . I can be contacted daily at the hotel on 01508470444 or emailed at paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com.
I look forward to speaking with you in the next few days.
Paul Murfitt
Food and Beverage Director.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed for one night on business. The hotel looks spectacular on arrival and the location is excellent. When I stayed there was a mix of business customers and families/couples so a nice feel to the hotel. The carvery was excellent and breakfast also. The gym is pretty poorly equipped with free weights, the pool could be very nice as it appears like a spa pool at first glance, however the tiling is more public baths than spa like. It was also a bit grim in places such as the ladders. The gym itself is very warm and I wouldn't pay to use it. As it was free it was ok. My room was very spacious and well equipped but the bathroom could do with refurbishment. If I had been a "paying" guest I would be disappointed but I was satisfied as a business customer, if not wowed by the place. It was good enough for the Ajax Amsterdam football team though as they were staying there atte time, so can't be that bad! The locals tell me standards have slipped, but I couldn't fault the service, it old just do with some updating to become a really wonderful hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I am aware that areas of the hotel require some refurmbishment and this is planned for the begining of next year. I do hope that you will come back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We spend a two night break here using a De Vere offer of 2 nights B&B for £88 !..Ok the hotel is a bit tired in places but the room was clean and comfortable. We used the swimming pool and spa which was great for my Sciatica !.We even played crazy golf. The restaurant offers A La Carte as well as a Carvery @ £14.50 or 'specials' each evening (i.e Chinese, Indian etc) The Terrace bar was very comfortable to relax in with plenty of armchairs and the bar prices were not a 'rip off'. Very polite and helpful staff throughout the hotel. If you play golf the course looks great . The hotel is set in the midst of Pine Trees and looks a little like Hogwarts...a really enjoyable and relaxing time !!

Room Tip: Our room did not have air conditioning and only one window and as it was SW facing it became a little hot..so would suggest a room facing East/North
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for yoru review of the hotel - I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I know August is proving very poular as we have some great deals on offer this month. I do hope you will come back to Dunston Hall in the near future.