“Phew it's so hot (and not in a good way)!”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Fantastic setting and a grand country house but the room I was given whilst spacious and an excellent view of the golf course had absolutely no opening windows and became unbearably hot at night time. No air conditioning just a couple of fans that did little more than push hot air around and kept me awake. I'm also not sure how this gets past health and safety legislation legislation.

I see that other reviewers have had similar experiences - clearly a perennial problem!

As a business traveller my prime requirement is to get a decent nights rest - in future I'll stick with the Holiday Inn - a real pitty!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Paul M, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Many thanks for your feedback on your room and the hotel-It has been very hot recently and I apologise that your room didnt have aircon as you may have expected it to have.I`m glad you otherwise liked your room and we hope to see you back at Dunston Hall soon.Please contact me on paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com if i can help you with anything else

There are newer reviews for Dunston Hall

Reviewed 21 August 2012

I booked this Hotel for my Husband 60th Birthday in July 2012. We brought up 30 guests from Portsmouth and had the same amount of family from the area. We had several rooms booked and they were all of top quality. The facilties were top notch together with the surroundings. The function was all that we asked for with excellent service through out. I could only sing praise for this establishment

Room Tip: The Hotel is a little spread out but there are rooms available near reception on the ground floor fo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Paul M, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for taking the trouble let us know about how great your stay was.I know the team will be really pleased as feedback is very important to them and they are regularly keeping tabs on how we can improve in the future.Let me know if there are any more family occasions in the future we can help with as we`d love to see you again
operations Manager

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We visited Dunston Hall last weekend with some trepidation based on the recent reviews. However we were pleasantly surprised and on the whole we have an excellent weekend. We were allocated rooms in one of the new blocks which was further form everything but had the added bonus of airconditioning which was fantastic on one of the hottest weekends of the year. The room was bright clean and well eqipped.
Beakfast was excellent with a very good choice of fresh friut and cooked. We ate in the Brasserie, once off the a la carte which was fine and once from the carvery which was surprisingly very good.
A couple of minor grumbles was that service in the bars could at times be very slow especially in the golf club bar which never seemed to have enough staff. We were also disappointed that they did not send around a drinks service on the golf course. We started our round at 11.00a.m. and they came around with water etc on the second hole. We had stocked up before we started so we did not need drinks at that stage. I asked the young lad if he could come back later as it was so hot but we never saw him again. There was a drinks machine half way around which gobbled up my money but didnt produce a drink! very frustrating. When we returned to the clubhouse we had to wait a good ten minutes to get served as there was only one person on duty which explains why they didnt runsa on-course drinks service. Also on a very pleasant hot evening a lot of people wanted to sit out on the teraaces but there was hardly any lighting - I asked for a candle or something so we were not sitting in darkness but these were not forthcoming
Apart from this we had a very pleasanr weekned

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

thank you for your feedback regarding your stay-I`m pleased to see you had a good weekend and enjoyed our new breakfast standard and carvery.I`ve spoken to the relevant managers about the opportunities to improve our service in the future so when you return to see us we can make your stay even more memorable.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Wonderful setting and awful reception staff.
the room was so hot it was unbearable, we complained but were not offered any alternative at all, in fact it was ignored The air con wasn't working and there was no opening window. We have stayed in hundreds of hotels and this has to be the worst.
The noise from the room above was ridiculous in such an expensive hotel
Definitely not worth the money and I have just complained and would hope that they give a refund. If they do I will post here again

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for your feedback and taking the time to chat to me on the phone the yesterday-Please let me know if I can be of any more help in the future on paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com
Operations manager

Reviewed 20 August 2012

As captain of a local midlands golf club I have pre-booked for 48 persons for a stay at Dunston Hall next Spring/Summer. The stay includes the final round of golf on day on day 3. In preparation, last weekend I booked a room and stayed for two nights with the wife. First site of the building is impressive, and on arrival the staff were very attentive. Our first impression of our room was one of disappointment, like others have suggested it looked very tired and not 4 star rating. This said I read that a re-furbishment is due early 2013? The dinner is he brasserie was fine, and breakfast was excellent. The leisure facilities are good but again the changing rooms and pool area needs re-furbishment. My final observation would be that the golf course is possibly over played with lack of care (maybe insufficient staff). This said ideal for last days golf without travelling to Cromer or Sheringham as per our planning days 1 and 2. Overall very good service in a hotel that needs a good overall.

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

thank you for your feedback regarding your stay.I`m glad to see you experienced some really good service from our team.I apologise for the issues you encountered and you are right in that we have refurbishments planned for the near future,i hope they`re done for when you next come back to Dunston Hall to see us.
please let me know if i can help with anything else on paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com
Operations manager

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Having used a DeVere hotel in the past I was hoping that this would be as good so maybe that aftected our judgment. We went with our family and had a table of six. The service was not warm or welcoming and the restaurant too modern for the building. We went for the carvery which was good value though not that exciting. I would go back, but there are other places to try first.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

many thanks for your valuable feedback-I`m very disapointed you didn`t feel welcomed into our restaurant and I`ll work with the team on improving this in the future.I`m glad you think our restaurant was good value for money as we aim to be accessible to our local customers and provide good food for a fair price.
Please contact me on paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com if i can help you with anything else in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

I visited Dunstin Hall in business ans I have to admit I was disappointed? For such a beautiful location the room was too warm and they had no air conditioning. My colleague asked for air conditioning and then we got a mobile one which made too much noise for us to sleep. The staff at breakfast were not very friendly and when I asked for more coffee is was like it was a huge inconvenience. We ordered roo. Service and it was not only wrong but the food was cold. Reception staff on leaving we're very cold not very welcoming. If it was not such a beautiful building and location I would have given it 0 rating. I am a great believer in 2nd chances so I plan to visit again And I expect to see a huge difference for this calibre of hotel

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

thank you for giving us some valuable feedback-I apologise for the issues you experienced in the brasserie, your bedroom and reception and I`ve spoken to the relevant managers in order that we can improve on this.
please contact me if i can be of any more assistance on paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com
many thanks

#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!