“Afternoon Tea”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I booked afternoon tea at this hotel for myself and a friend to celebrate our 41 years of friendship (somehow missed our 40th) As this hotel is meant to be a local high class hotel I thought it would offer a really good afternoon tea. How disappointing and completely average the outcome was. Our tea consisted of mixed sandwiches but as my friend is vegetarian she got the egg and cheese ones and I got the chicken and salmon ones which meant she got some nice brown bread and I got the white. Obviously no choice or a special effort made to ask what we wanted. We got the impression these were all pre-made. The scones were ok but it was a shame that the jam was just a tiny pot of ordinary jam that you can buy in any supermarket. The cakes consisted of a tart which was reasonably tasty and 2 small pieces of cake each which were not nice at all. The tea was in china cups but took ages to get the attention of the staff for more water due to the long conversation they were in with someone but they were friendly and polite. Was it worth the £25.00 we paid? No, not at all. From a revered hotel in an excellent setting I would have expected a bit more individuality and speciality with the choice of food rather than it being very ordinary and average. I could have thrown together something better at home and saved some money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Paul M, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

many thanks for the feedback and i apologise for the disapointing afternoon tea-you dont mention if you specified a vegetarian preference on ordering as this would have definitely been taken into consideration had the kitchen of known.I`ve spoken to the team about the home-made cakes and pastries to ensure these are of the requisite standard in the future.Please contact me on paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com if i can be of any more assistance
regards
Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,782)

Reviewed 23 August 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel 4 times as we try to book it for his birthday treat. It is set in beautiful grounds and is not far from Norwich City Centre where the shops are lovely. They have great staff, lovely food and it is just a lovely break! Big tip, the hotel does have treatment rooms and they are run by an external company, as they are very good they get booked up quickly!! Call as far ahead as possible (The Lilac Room - Norwich) and book your treatment. Can't praise this hotel more, we stay in the four poster rooms which are lovely. The only thing to make it perfect would be a more luxurious bath in those rooms, but hey, you can have everything!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the original part of the house are full of character and lovely!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Paul M, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Many thanks for your feedback. I notice like many of our return customers you prefer our suites in the older part of the building which do have great character-however they get booked up very early on so let me know if i can book one in for you in the future

Reviewed 23 August 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights during August because of a current offer. It has great facilities including a fitness centre and indoor pool. We have stayed at deVere hotels before many years ago and found this brand quite good for high quality facilities and service. Breakfast and dinner was of good quality and staff performed well.

We were given a free upgrade with a room containing two double beds, one of which was only used, so not much of an upgrade! Reception staff could be a little more personable rather than have a cool professional exterior. The circulation space is like a rabbit warren if your bedroom is on the sixth floor block; to access Reception, one has to go up or down two sets of stairs and walk some 100 metres. Golf seems to be a high attraction for some, and we found several coach parties staying. On the whole this was a quiet and pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the car park, but other rooms would have views over the golf course and countrys...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for letting us and the Trip advisor community know about how much you enjoyed your stay- I`ll pass this on to the team and i` know they`ll appreciate it
Please contact me on paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com if i can help you with anything else in the future.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Like a lot of people we often read reviews of hotels before booking,having read some awful comments about Dunston Hall regarding cleanliness and poor food etc we still decided to go ahead and book two rooms as a treat for my father in laws birthday.Our room was fine,spacious and clean.my inlaws were upgraded to the penthouse suite,which was enormous with wonderful views of the golf course and surrounding countryside.Evening meal in the Brasserie was of very good quality and plentiful,breakfast was again very good with a large selection.So to all of those (professional)complainers all i can say is,if you have a complaint about a particular thing tell the hotel and they can then sort it.Dont wait until you get home and then write a lot of rubbish about how bad the hotel is.I would recommend this hotel with its friendly staff to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Alan S

Many thanks for the feedback-I`m glad we made your stay memorable and look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston Hall

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Needed somewhere to stay when visiting relatives in East Anglia and found this hotel - we had checked other reviews and decided that the hotel represented value for money for the location.
First impressions - WOW - what a visage when you drive to the hotel - it looks Elizabethan but was in fact built in 1859 in the Elizabethan style.
Check-in - very painless - we were directed to our rooms (offered help with our cases which we declined) - we were in the new block - this is very much in keeping with the main hotel but situated away from the wedding marquee and restaurant and bar area. Be prepared for a hike through the corridors though! We found the easiest route was to exit the block on the front lawn beside the lift & then walk into the main hotel.
Room - spacious and very clean - we did have an issue with a request for some toilet paper which took 3 attempts before a hotel manager gave my wife some - not a good start but ...
Food - excellent, we ate in the restaurant once and bar a second night both times food was very good - service excellent. Breakfast was very busy some mornings as I think the hotel was quite busy and we did have 3 weddings during our week there! The breakfast food was serve yourself so was slightly dried up but still hot. There was a good choice of cereal, bread, croissants etc although on busier days the hotel did run out of some items.
Facilities - very good - nice Spa & pool with a gym - again choose your time to avoid the busy periods! The golf course looked superb - I didn't actually play it but did watch a few others play and overheard a few good comments.
Any complaints - we were kept awake on one of the weekend nights by a party outside one of the rooms after one wedding (the ground floor rooms had a patio area leading onto a lawned area) but I believe someone complained and the noise stopped - wasn't us by the way!
All in all - a very pleasant stay, well worth the cost with minor niggles.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback-The team really appreciate positive feedback and i`ll be sure to pass this on to them

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Fantastic setting and a grand country house but the room I was given whilst spacious and an excellent view of the golf course had absolutely no opening windows and became unbearably hot at night time. No air conditioning just a couple of fans that did little more than push hot air around and kept me awake. I'm also not sure how this gets past health and safety legislation legislation.

I see that other reviewers have had similar experiences - clearly a perennial problem!

As a business traveller my prime requirement is to get a decent nights rest - in future I'll stick with the Holiday Inn - a real pitty!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Many thanks for your feedback on your room and the hotel-It has been very hot recently and I apologise that your room didnt have aircon as you may have expected it to have.I`m glad you otherwise liked your room and we hope to see you back at Dunston Hall soon.Please contact me on paul.murfitt@devere-hotels.com if i can help you with anything else

Reviewed 21 August 2012

I booked this Hotel for my Husband 60th Birthday in July 2012. We brought up 30 guests from Portsmouth and had the same amount of family from the area. We had several rooms booked and they were all of top quality. The facilties were top notch together with the surroundings. The function was all that we asked for with excellent service through out. I could only sing praise for this establishment

Room Tip: The Hotel is a little spread out but there are rooms available near reception on the ground floor fo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Paul M, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for taking the trouble let us know about how great your stay was.I know the team will be really pleased as feedback is very important to them and they are regularly keeping tabs on how we can improve in the future.Let me know if there are any more family occasions in the future we can help with as we`d love to see you again
operations Manager

The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick
Holiday Inn Norwich City

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!