“Could do bettter!”

Dunston Hall
hertfordshire
“Could do bettter!”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Stayed here for a girlie pamper get away break. No problems on check in although when we got to our room which was a bit of trek we had a kingsize bed even though I had phoned ahead and reserved a twin room. The room was spacious and clean but the shabby finish made it look dirty. The bathroom although a nice size had mould on the tiles which totally put me off using it. The maid did come and seperate the bed to make it into 2 singles whilst we were out that evening. The hotel was full of very mature clientel and it's £12 in a taxi into Norwich. The barman was as old as some of the guests and was very rude and completely ignored my friend. Drinks were what you would expect to pay in a four star hotel. The younger staff that were around were very helpful and friendly but the older ones could do with learning from the youngsters! Breakfast was nice and there was a good selection with made to order poached eggs and toast. The spa area is a bit weird as the beauty rooms are down a long corridor from the pool/steam room area. This meant you had to keep getting changed between treatments and relaxation which took the edge of the whole experience. The treatments were expensive and carried out in an area that was being refurbished so it wasn't at it's best. No discount was given for this and the noise of builders took the edge off!

Overall this is a lovely hotel in need of some TLC and bringing up to date. Although the public areas are clean they are tired and it takes away from the grandeur of the exterior. With a bit of investment this hotel could be a gem. The staff should experience it from the guests point of view then I am sure they could get this right. I expect it's down to the management of the hotel not the standard you would expect for a de vere hotel.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel out of town with spa facilities then this is for you. Just lower your expectations before you arrive and you shouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear hertfordshire4
Thank you for your feedback. I’m please housekeeping managed to solve the issue with the bed and that you enjoyed our new breakfast offering. We do have a very broad mix of ages of customers, and our team, which is a very positive attribute to have in any business as I’m sure you’d agree. We are refurbishing certain areas of the hotel in the near future and hope you come and see us soon, and we have started a very exciting new customer service training plan to support our team in creating memorable experiences
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I stayed at Dunston Hall from 4th - 7th December with Taylors Coaches Yeovil. I found the hotel excellent in every way. The accommodation was superb (room 302), food was excellent and such a variety, and the hotel staff were pleasant and most helpful. I had stayed there before & was only too happy to be back. F Rosser

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Karen P
Thank you for your feedback. I`m glad you had such a great stay and we`d like to welcome you back any time soon
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Myself and my Husband spent a night here on our Honeymoon. Where do I start, from the moment we walked through the door to when we checked out, we were treated like royalty!! On arrival we advised the staff it was our honeymoon and within 5 minutes of being in the room, was greeted with chocolates and champagne. We had the Birch Suite and it was amazing. By far the best hotel room I had ever stayed in. The dinner was also fantastic, the staff were attentive, offering complimentary drinks after having to wait 15 minutes for our food, which we thought was a very reasonable wait for the quality. Our amazing stay didn't finish there, we were in the bar having a night cap and the staff heard us talking about the wedding and brought us over a bottle of champagne!!! The breakfast was also fab. We really cannot fault the staff and hotel in any way. The only regret we have is not having our wedding there!!! Dunston Hall put the icing on our perfect wedding cake. If you want a special stay then head to Dunston Hall!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jodiwalker
Dear jodiwalker
Many thanks for your feedback. I`m glad you had such an amazing stay, maybe you can have your wedding anniversary with us next time?
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I stayed at Dunston Hall on Friday night after a charity event I attended. I was lucky enough to have accommodation provided for me, and this was a room at Dunston Hall.

I stayed in room 344, in the new Deluxe Wing of the hotel.

It was INCREDIBLE. Beautiful room, amazing bed, great HD tv, spotless bathroom. FREE WIFI! The best thing about the room was that it was on the ground floor. It had french windows out onto a little private terrace. Would have been lovely had it not been so cold!

I ordered room service at 10.45pm, to find that the entire menu was available! I had a home made burger with chips and cheesey garlic bread, and it was brilliant! So refreshing to get late night room service and actually GET hand prepared hot food!

The receptionist (Ian) who checked me in at 4pm remembered my name at 9am the next morning when I checked out.

Would definitely stay again - in fact I'm already trying to work out a good excuse to go back! (a bit tricky when my mum lives 5 miles away....)

Room Tip: go for a ground floor deluxe room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear chrisrankin
Thank you for your feedback, I’m glad you had such a memorable stay with us and for remembering Ian in particular. I`ll pass on your feedback to our new chef as its good to see guests are noticing the difference in the food.
East Anglia, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2012 via mobile

We had a much-anticipated overnight stay at Dunston Hall. What a disappointment.

The room size was fine, with a king-sized bed, which was adequately comfortable. Carpets and curtains had seen better days and the heavy net curtains were in desperate need of replacing, or washing at the very least.

The lighting was dreadful; no ceiling lights, just lamps with dim bulbs and broken lampshades in the main room. There was nowhere to use your own hairdryer/straighteners with any light to see with. The only adequate lighting is in the bathroom where, obviously, you are unable to plug in/use your appliances.

The bathroom. A disaster. The grouting between the tiles was growing a nice crop of black mould interlaced with limescale. The silicone sealant around the bath was yellow with age. The chrome had worn off of both the bath and basin taps. The plastic shower head was caked in limescale. The bath panel was rotting away, as was part of the bathroom door and door frame. There were small piles of dust in all the corners of both rooms.

Breakfast the next morning was adequate. Presentation was not its strongest point. And by the time we got there at 8.45am it was all looking rather dishevelled.

The connecting corridors throughout the building are tired and worn with the 80s/90s decor in dire need of simplifying and updating.

We saw little of the staff, but the reception staff were friendly and polite.

Dunston Hall has the most stunning exterior, beholding much promise of what may be on offer inside. Sadly, the exterior is its best feature.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank CurliestWurly
Dear curliestwurly
Many thanks for your feedback, Our teams are indeed very friendly and I’m glad you experienced this. Some of our older rooms are getting refurbished in 2013 so hopefully next time you come back you’ll get to experience this. We’ve revitalised our breakfast offering also so we’d appreciate your feedback on that.

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Lillingstone Lovell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2012

This was our third visit to this hotel (we are going back again on Boxing Day) WOW completely love this impressive, massive, rambling old hotel. Experience begins when you drive down the long sweeping driveway surrounded by beautiful countryside.

Reception is fast but sometimes a small wait when busy. We have stayed in standard, premium and suite rooms, so can give a good balance opinion of them all. Standard is basic but homely, the double bed is fairly small. Premium room is sumptuous the beds have mattress toppers so ensures great comfort and the Suite is WOW...But...the four poster bed is small and a bit hard, our last visit we treated ourselves to the Suite but unfortunately our room was above the wedding venue, so trying to sleep with all the noise was intolerable so at midnight we phoned reception and asked what time the noise would subside and were told about 2.00am!! Knowing we were not going to get any rest we asked if we could be moved somewhere quieter, absolutely no problem I think it was Paul the manager came up and moved us into a premium room, with no bother at all.

The food is great, we opted for the A la carte menu and remember having lamb shank with mash potatoes followed by a delicious desert, the service was very good.

The gym looks great although we have yet to use it but the swimming pool is huge with a fountain and jacuzzi etc.

Looking forward to Boxing Day!

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndrewMur
Dear andrewmur
I’m glad we managed to fix the room issue promptly and that you enjoyed your stay-we always aim to put anything right as soon as its brought to our attention. Some people prefer the older rooms as they have such a sense of history, whereas some, including myself, prefer the more modern bedrooms. I’ll pass on your feedback to our chef as its good that guests are noticing the changes in the food offering all around the hotel.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stayed two nights here and really enjoyed it. The room was comfortable , spacious and very warm. The meals were excellent in choice and quality, with attentive staff, always ready to help and enquiring about our day, especially when we had been to Thursford to the Christmas show.

Room Tip: Never were disturbed in 502
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!