“Absolutely filthy”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The hotel from the outside looks grand and something quite special - couldn't have been more wrong! First of all they couldn't find my booking. When they eventually sorted it out I got to my room and it was so dirty I didn't even want to stay in it. The bathroom was by far the worst one I have stayed in. The toilet was absolutely filthy, mouldy grouting and even the ceiling was mouldy. The taps were filthy didn't look like anyone had bothered to clean them in years!!! Couldn't believe the state of it and I still can't believe that de Vere are happy to represent their company like this. I ate at the restaurant which was overpriced for the food - very Average, ordered a steak and it was really over done despite me asking for it rare. I just wanted to get out of the the hotel in the morning. Not a pleasant stay and definitely wouldn't go back!!!!!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Paul M, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear danielle
I hope we managed to fix the room issue promptly and that you enjoyed your stay-we always aim to put anything right as soon as its brought to our attention. The bedrooms are in our refurburbishment program for 2013 so hopefully if you return you`ll see the improvements. I’ll pass on your feedback to our chef so we can improve that in the future
Kind regards
Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,785)

Reviewed 14 January 2013

We have our works Christmas do here every January (we are an odd company!) and I figured this is the 8th time I have stayed here over the last 9 years so I should probably actually write a review for it!

I can sum this place up very simply as stated in the title.

The building and the grounds are unbelievable. Thery truely are spectacular! They also have some nice facilities, the breakfast room and the bar next to it are lovely (the standard of the breakfast is also pretty good). The bunkers bar associated with the golf course (which is also good) is a nice relaxed enviroment as well.

The staff have always been very proffessional and polite. This is to their credit as our company books most of the hotel and must be quite dificult to deal with!

The main negative really is the rooms. For a hotel of this standard, they are really quite poor. We have stayed across most the hotel over the last few years and every room we have stayed in has had something undesireable!

This year we were in a mid-age part of the hotel (there are a range of newer-older rooms) in which the bathroom, although clean enough, was really old and tired. Paint coming off the walls, black tile grout and a lot of limescale build up.

The newer room we had last year seemed pelasant initially but had the worst (softest) bed I have ever slept in anywhere!

The older rooms we have occupied have nicer bathrooms but the rooms are more tired!

In all, for the grounds and facilities, it's great, but the rooms are not very special at all. Especially for the sort of price they normally command.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BLWORLDTRAVELS
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My sister, elderly friend, and myself, took my partner to Dunston Hall for his birthday celebration. I knew of the hotel, but had never been. A stunning Jacobean style mansion.
We were looked after very well, with balloons to decorate the table.
Food was of very good standard, although at breakfast," the birthday boy" didn't recieve the kipper he ordered.When asked if he had enjoyed, chef looked astounded it didn't arrive.
They did offer to get one ,but by that time, he'd gone off the idea.
Rooms were roomy and warm, although, a few housekeeping issues, would have made our stay a little more comfortable.
As this was near christmas, and given the grandness of the building, I would have expected the hotel to be a little more imaginatively decorated.
Signage throughout hotel, definately needs attention.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I visited Dunston Hall for a New Year Gala Ball and stayed two nights. The Hall is an impressive Victorian copy of an Elizabethan mansion, and from the start the staff where quite exceptional in their friendliness, warm welcome and excellent service. My room was spacious and quiet, although the lighting was not bright enough and one of the lamps didn't work. I had asked for a view and had an angled view of the garden. Everything was fresh and clean. They served us afternoon tea in a rather over bright corporate-style room which was a shame. By contrast the dinner was in a magnificent banqueting hall, beautifully decorated with elegant seating and well dressed tables. The dinner was exceptionally well cooked and delicious. We had a DJ for most of the evening for dancing then a Band which a deafening, I had to got out for a breather. Then at midnight the New Year was piped in with a bagpiper in full regalia, a magnificent sight, he did disappear rather quickly, which disappointed all the ladies who wanted photos with him. The next day the breakfast was served in the Brasserie, a nice contemporary space with some fabulous art and furnishings. Nothing was too much trouble and there was a great choice. That night we ate in the Brasserie which had an excellent carvery and choices from a la carte, sadly they didn't have our first or second wine choice. Maybe the New Year had emptied the cellar!

Tried the Spa, swimming pool with sauna and stemroom, rather dated and in serious need of a refurb.

I would highly recommend this hotel, would make a great place for a weekend away, it also has a golf course.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I was born in Norwich (over 60 years ago) and at 7years of age moved up to Yorkshire. This break was to re-visit some of my childhood haunts and Dunston Hall provided the perfect base for us. From the minute we drove into the grounds the hotel did not fail to impress us. On the down side our room was not ready for us upon arrival but our luggage was stored for us so we could venture out. A tip - use the park and ride at Harford, about a mile away,it is only ten minutes into Norwich and costs £2.10 return for an adult or £1.10 for concessions - saves on trying to find parking in the city centre. On our return to Dunston our allocated room (328) was just what we expected, a premier king room which was spacious with a lovely comfortable bed although the bathroom was adequet it was a little dated. We used the pool facilities which were very good and we certainly felt rejuvenated after spending time in there. The first night of our stay we ate in the hotel as this was an included carvery which was very nice although we certainly ate too much.The next morning the breakfast was fine but quite a limited buffet and one small ask is that the bread for toast could do with being thicker otherwise everything was OK. At night we decided to take a walk in the grounds but this was quite short as we found the lighting was not very good, especially on the approach path so if this was improved then an evening stroll would be nice. All in all though a lovely relaxing stay at the Dunston and thank-you to the staff who were very pleasant and accommodating - the Christmas tree was still up though on 7th January which is past 12th night!

Room Tip: A premier room away froim the main building
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda W
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This is one of my favourite UK hotels.......it's just so stunning! I love it! The service is great, you always get 5* service and if you feel somethings not right, they quickly resolve it. The food is fantastic and I always eat far too much! The rooms are in need of some updating, especially the bathrooms but given the age of the building, you can quickly forget about it. We stayed in room 531 and the only complaint I can make is about the noise from the toilets being flushed, it was quite loud. We used the pool too, which was great although no lifeguard.........so swim at your own risk and the steps from the changing rooms to the pool are very steep.

NYE package was fantastic for two nights, we only stayed 1 night last year and so glad we did 2 this time, it made a "real" break. The dj on nye was not great though and I hope the hotel consider changing the dj next year because it has actually put us off going for NYE again. Too many random songs, he'd get everyone dancing and then kill it with the next song.

I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear 385shane385
Many thanks for your feedback and i`m glad you had a great New Years Eve and that the team once again looked after you. I`ll work on getting the music better for next year (I may even DJ,how hard can it be?) and look forward to seeing you again at Dunston Hall
kind regards
operations Manager

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Spacious bedroom, room temperature appropiate and comfortable bed! Clean and front of house friendly and effective. Let down slightly by breakfast in the morning- poor coffee and over-done buffet style eggs and bacon. Pool area very nice however although the gym was well equipped the smell of damp was over powering. Good value though.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear 007liz006
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your stay,I`m glad you enjoyed our hospitality and accomodation,next time try our new award winning breakfast
kind regards

The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick
Holiday Inn Norwich City

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!