“Enjoyable weekend in a lovely hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Northampton, England
“Enjoyable weekend in a lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Dunston Hall having picked up an offer from their website for B&B at £69 per night. We chose a king-sized room and we given Room 626 which was very nicely furnished, clean and comfortable. Reception was very busy but we were offered help with our luggage and given directions to our room. We had to go along the lower ground floor and then up in the lift to reach our room (which was infact on the 3rd floor).

We had breakfast both mornings and the staff were very attentive and helpful. You had the choice of a continental or full english breakfast. Although there was a large choice of items, I did feel that for a 4* hotel, the quality of the cooked items could have been better.

My husband used the sauna and steamroom and said that everything was clean and tidy. The one thing that would have been nice was to have access to a water fountain (the only one he found was back in the leisure suite reception area).

On the whole a nice stay.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Polish first
Orpington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

Just come back from a chilled out relaxing one night. After a bad experience at the devere hotel in Brighton we found these rooms quiet, spacious and comfortable. The staff were helpful. Dinner was good value, we had a lovely waitress. Spa treatment was heavenly. We hope to go back soon

Room Tip: Go deluxe room
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

A bargain break in a busy business hotel. We were politely welcomed and asked if we needed help with our luggage- one case! We declined although it may have been better to accept because although well signposted it was initially difficult to find our room on the lower ground floor. We bumped into a number of new arrivals who were even more bewildered than we were!our room was an excellent kingsize bedded double. A well stocked tea/coffee tray,an extra duvet if required although the room was well heated, good bathroom toiletries, free wi fi -particularly easily accessed without any passcode and a complimentary copy of The Independent each day. Soon after our arrival we queried the lack of hotwater but it was speedily rectified; similarly the iron provided in the room was defective but it was quickly replaced.We eat out because The Wilderbeest Restaurant was easily accessed (apart from the right hand turn to the A140 ) and on the second day dined with friends at their house. However the breakfasts were excellent - there was a full serve- you-rself buffet but there was a choice of waiter/ress service with the individually served dishes - haddock with poached egg/ kippers etc . We elected to be waited on. The first day the waitress enthusiastically offered to produce toast as well as the coffee with our requested hot milk. Our undyed smoked haddock with two perfectly poached eggs was delicious-so much so that I ordered again the next day! On this occasion I only had one egg and slightly reluctantly another was provided for me but it was pointed out my the waitress that the menu said"egg" not" eggs" ! Saturday staff did not match the experience of the regulars!

Lingfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

My OH & I stayed here this week & cannot fault the staff or service. It is an impressive building from the outside. I agree with some of the other comments that it is a little tired in places. The meals were good, and the staff informed my OH when my meal (ordered from the menu) was due to be served so he could choose his from the carvery. Sadly the weather was so cold that we didn't walk around the grounds. I would recommend staying here.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

A hotel with lots to offer and friendly staff. I spent three nights and used the bar and main restaurant. I was on a dinner, bed and breakfast package. My room was spacious, clean and warm ( a must if you have been out in the cold spring air playing golf).
The course was remarkable given the snow and heavy rain, yes it was a bit wet, but I was surprised how well it had drained, given the elements in recent weeks.
Bunkers (spike bar near Pro shop) was busy, but food orders were quickly turned around.
A good breakfast selection and ample choice of roasts for the buffet dinner were perfect after 18 holes. I didn't use the spa this time,

All staff I met were friendly, efficient and helpful. As an example, my paper didn't arrive so I called Reception and whilst they didn't have a spare they offered me an alternative paper, apologising, which I declined. However, within 10 mins a guy delivers a Daily mail to my room, with an apology and confirmation there would be one as normal for the next morning. He explained they had gone out to get me a copy from a local supermarket. In summary, the staff were brilliant, food good and venue fun. I had a deluxe room, which was very nice and a view of the garden.

Is was my second visit and I will be making a third. Thank you Dunston staff a happy ending to a stressful working week. See you soon.

Room Tip: Pay more for the deluxe, they are bigger, have better lighting and are newer than the basic rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

Me & boyfriend visited here on the wowcher deal & we couldn't fault it!
The hotel was set in lovely grounds & the historic building was beautiful. We used the spa falicilities on the day of arrival & lunch in the bar area which was lovely & all staff very helpful & friendly. Dinner, we had the carvery & it was delicious couldn't fault anything! Wouldn't hesitate in staying here again, all in all a brilliant stay!

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Stayed in hotel for business and found hotel to be a bit dated and in need of repair in certain areas that let's the place down. The restaurant and service however were first class.

The lift was dodgy to say the least and made some very strange noises and jolted in the way up to the point where I walked the three floors each times left the room as I didn't trust it.

The built in iron damaged a shirt while being ironed but fair play to the night porter he managed to remove the baked on stain and ironed the shirt which resulted in me making it to business appointment without needing to make a diversion to buy a new shirt.

The restaurant is first class with quality food and excellent service.

The hotel is situated in a beautiful setting and overall is well worth the money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,065 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!