“Very Tired”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Beautiful stately building and approach up the drive to the hall was stunning. The reception area was pretty average, but the bar area was quite grand but could do with freshening up. Unfortunately the rooms could do with an overhaul, they had very old, tired decor. The beds were comfortable but unfortunately their was no airconditioning and as the day had been rather hot it was quite unbearable even with a ceiling fan, a portable fan and the windows open. Couldn't wait to get home for a good nights sleep. Also room not as clean as i would have liked but this was soon rectified by the house keeper.
Breakfast was very good and the guys in the party enjoyed their golf.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Dunston Hall

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Following lots of disappointments and let downs from hotel staff (price changes, no return calls as promised) we decided to book through spa breaks. Upon explaining our difficulties to the spa breaks staff they were quick to respond and were successful in booking myself and 5 friends for a spa beak at a reasonable price and following a phone call to dunstan hall reception we were told we would have an upgraded room with complimentary wine. The hotel itself and grounds are beautiful and the staff were way beyond our expectations of professionalism. Our rooms on the other hand were a shock and we certainly weren't upgraded. No complimentary wine, no valances on the beds 1 lamp working properly, grout dirty in the bathroom, non soft toilet paper and in need of a complete overhaul. The spa was spaced out too far from the treatment rooms and listening to headboards banging whilst in the treatment rooms wasn't the best! we returned to the reception to place our concerns but the gentleman in front who had previously booked a room was told they were fully booked and they could not find his booking. Due to this fact we decided it was pointless raising our concerns. Disappointed with rooms and spa but need to reitterate the professionalism and kindness of all the bar and restaurant staff. We enjoyed our stay but flt let down and unfortunately will not be returning :-(

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Very nice hotel. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It is simply classy and tranquil! It looks like a Victorian mansion I remember being very stressed on my way there, but the minute I arrived, the serenity and tranquillity of the hotel took over me. It was palpable.

The hotel has traditional English decor, very nice and really cool, but slightly dated. The landscaped gardens is really well-kept and absolutely stunning! The food was brilliant! And the staff extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I think any room in this hotel will give you a beautiful view as it is surrounded by nature and gree...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here in April as part of their spring break promotion. Value for a king suite ended up at around £100 a night which is great value for the room and the hotel. Loved the golf, the ambience of the place and the grounds. Norwich is a lovely city too and Wells-Next-The-Sea is well worth a visit.
Some of the carpets and corridor decor could do with a spruce up as looking a bit tired but apart from that, great stay!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 4 August 2013

A nice hotel at first glance but a little tired around the edges facilities were good and breakfast was nice. We had brown water coming out of the taps in our bathroom which reception informed us was completely safe but it was pretty unsightly.

We wanted to get casual dinner in bunkers bar but found it didn't serve food after 6pm which was a bit annoying. Nt far from the town centre but your definitely need a car to stay here.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We had arranged to stay the weekend at another hotel in the area which did not happen for reasons I shall not go into in this review! However, safe to say that my mother, sister and I were going away as a family for one of the first times since Dad died, without our families and it was, also, my sister's birthday. Because of the circumstances, we did not have a booking and my sister and mother turned up, on spec, as we had no where to stay. I was not there at this time, but I am told the staff were brilliant. They found rooms for all of us and upgraded Mum! When I turned up I was greeted warmly and the staff knew exactly who I was when I gave them my name. My bags were carried to my room and I could not have been made more welcome.

The whole ambiance of the hotel was brilliant - each member of staff was courteous and helpful. (They even managed to find me a car cleaning kit - don't ask!!!! But my car is now a lot cleaner inside thanks to the kit they found me and my hard work!!). Absolutely nothing was too much for anyone working there and each member of staff seemed to be happy to volunteer the extra mile.

My room was comfy, as were the beds. I rarely sleep well in strange beds but I did here.

My only criticism (if it can be called one!!) is that the TV's in the bedroom are really difficult to fathom - but maybe that is just a feature of my age!

I had a massage whilst I was there. I have NEVER had one before but they are now on my radar and I shall be having more!

The food in the restaurant was fine - not excellent but extremely edible. It is one of the first times I have asked for a steak "medium-rare" and actually been served it "medium-rare". The breakfasts are a buffet style. In my opinion it is a pity they had to have frozen mushrooms .... but I can highly recommend the sausages and bacon. If you want a poached egg (which is not out in the buffet) just ask .... nothing is too much for them. You also make your own toast ... which I loved. The toasting machine is an eminently watchable piece of equipment!!

There is so much to do there - swimming, golf, jacuzzi, beautician (worth a visit for the massage!) and crazy golf! (Watch out for the 9th hole on that ..... it is not what you think - I think I completed that in 35 strokes!!!!).

Overall - a place who will do their best for you, don't take my word -go and decide for yourself.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Solbarca
Reviewed 2 August 2013

A group of us went to an Abba tribute night....food was ok for the price, bit of a grumpy waitress but overall a good service.
Abba tribute should have been advertised as a band, but the two girls were surprisingly good, the dance floor was full for the full show. In fact I booked the two girls for a wedding, cheesy yes, but great fun and Abba is cheese!
Overall a good night, in a first class environment, advertising should have determined that the act was not a band, but aside from that worth every penny.

• Stayed: July 2013
Paul M, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear pam888999
Many thanks for your feedback-the Abba night was a great success and i`m glad you really enjoyed it. It`s Dirty Dancing this month,why not stay the night and make an occasion of it ?
kind regards

#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!